Football Banter Thread

Soldato
10493439754_a8d4bf8472_o.gif

Soldato
don't know what the toon fans were worrying about when Kinnear joined the team, then i read this on the bbc webby lmao.......

Newcastle director of football Joe Kinnear tried to sign midfielder Shane Ferguson after a scouting trip to Birmingham - only to be told the 22-year-old was already a Newcastle player and had been loaned to the Blues.

Caporegime
They can't do much when they aren't given the ball to be fair, the rare occasion they did you looked in danger, game was won comfortably by your midfield

Soldato
They can't do much when they aren't given the ball to be fair, the rare occasion they did you looked in danger, game was won comfortably by your midfield

Yeah, tbf there were a few occasions where they got away from our defenders, most notably when Suarez was through and Sturridge threw a paddy at the far post because the ball wasn't squared to him through 2 arsenal defenders.

Caporegime
lol, I like that because the commentator said Suarez couldn't pass through the defenders everyone seems to be parroting the idiotic view, since when do passes have to be straight? Several thousand times in football have we seen a cross/pass that is curved ahead of the defense for someone at the far post to run on to. It also ignores that the earlier that pass was made the easier it was.

Suarez and Sturridge had plenty of chances, both had a crap game, they would have had double the number of chances if Coutinho hadn't eaten his spinach that day, he played direction/timing wise about 4-5 balls that hit less hard would have been perfect but that Suarez/sturridge couldn't hope to catch up to in time.

From recollection Suarez shot when he didn't pass to STurridge, Suarez shot when he nicked it off Sturridge (in that situation that was the right thing to do) and missed the far post, Sturridge had a free header 6-7 yards out that he fluffed completely..... and the disallowed goal because of a retarded referee. I do love it that when refs make a mistake like that they then turn a simple hold yellow in air into a 30 minute lecture on why a player is getting a yellow card to somehow make it okay he refused to let a quick freekick.

I think Liverpool had as many genuinely great chances to score as Arsenal did despite far lower possession and utterly **** central midfield. Strikers had an off day, other games they'd have scored at least 4 of those chances they should really have scored 2. Ozil can't score those types of chances, he misses those the majority of the time in the past 4 years, Giroud should have done much much better with his main chance, his miss was very poor, outside of the one giroud chance we didn't have any really top notch misses.

Arsenal dominated the game far too easily, but didn't create numerous great chances, Liverpool were pap all over the pitch but managed to create some very good chances, and took none of them. It could have, and maybe should have been 3-3, Arsenal would still have dominated the game in general. Arsenal were a couple of players(fullbacks mostly) and a few tactics away from being able to shut out Liverpool and score even more, Liverpool for me were miles away from the same, the entire midfield was poor, fullbacks were poor, tactics for the game were completely wrong.

Caporegime
Suarez could've passer earlier but hadn't got his head up at that point, by the time he saw sturridge there wasn't enough of a gap between player and goalkeeper to play it without being cut out.

Stopping and cutting back mightve worked.

Caporegime
Arsenal will probably tear United apart on Sat :(

Will be about time, seeing as Utd usually tear Arsenal a new one everytime we play.

So much for worrying that Suarez and Stuuridge were going to rip us a new one at the weekend :p

:D..just posted that on my Arsenal group channel on BBM lol.

being able to shut out Liverpool and score even more.

I dont know DM but im pretty sure we shut Liverpool out on Sat 2-0, unless they scored a phantom goal from somewhere lol.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I dont know DM but im pretty sure we shut Liverpool out on Sat 2-0, unless they scored a phantom goal from somewhere lol.

I was saying Arsenal are a few players away from having been able to win that 4-0 and left Liverpool no far far fewer chances. That game could easily have been 2-2 or 3-3 just on the chances that were created and better finishing, Liverpools chances weren't impossible or shots from 35 yards they had multiple relatively easy chances that their strikers would put away at least 2 of in most games, that isn't shutting them out. Where as Liverpool needed a couple defenders, at least 3 midfielders to be capable of doing the same, shutting out the Arsenal side and taking all their chances

While we had more of the ball we did little with it most of the time, Liverpool had less of the ball and made chances but screwed them all up. But we bossed them completely in midfield for most of the game for us to "fix" the team to stop the chances basically meant new fullbacks, maybe a CB, a better striker wouldn't go amiss. Once again as I've said for 12 + months now, Giroud looks great when we play off him, as wilshire did for the fantastic goal, but played in behind and through on goal I have very very little confidence in him, he's not that type of player and not very good at it. Realistically to be thinking about winning leagues and a champs league eventually you want someone who can be great at both parts of a strikers game. Giroud is distinctly lacking in his killer instinct side of his game.

Liverpool need midfielders, wingers, fullbacks, for me a CB as much as people bang on about Skrtel he's made numerous mistakes this year, is constantly fouling people and was terrible last year. Against West brom he did about 3 separate things that should be a penalty.

WE didn't stop Liverpool scoring enough to get points out of that game, Suarez/Sturridge did, they had at least two excellent chances a piece, Hendersons run where the red sea(shirts) of Arsenal parted before him, he hesitated then made a crap shot while our defenders all looked at him and actively ran out of the way till too late and multiple runs where had Coutinho been able to not massively over hit every pass Suarez would have been in behind very easily on least 2 more occasions.

A couple of better fullbacks primarily and we'd have attacked better and prevented the majority of those chances.

Caporegime
Suarez could've passer earlier but hadn't got his head up at that point, by the time he saw sturridge there wasn't enough of a gap between player and goalkeeper to play it without being cut out.

Stopping and cutting back mightve worked.

http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2013/...0-highlights-2013-cazorla-ramsey-goals-video/

First video in that link 8:20 into it firstly Chesney passed the ball to Sturridge maybe 10 yards from goal, that should have been a goal to start with, this directly went to Mert who gave the ball away seconds later, Kos was playing two strikers onside. This was awful defending all over, but watch.

At 8.34 Suarez got the ball 10 yards outside the box, Kos was 3-4 yards behind him, there is at that stage a 20-25yard gap between Kos and the keeper to pass through........ his head is up, Sturridge is onside and they are both ahead of Kos and still not into the box a second later, even when the shot happens Kos is on the penalty spot, Chesney inside the 6 yard box, sorry but that is a pretty damn easy pass to make. The entire run he could have passed Sturridge in exceptionally easily for a tap in, at no stage was it even a difficult pass let alone requiring world class skills. Due to Chesney's positioning(not faulty to save from Suarez but left stranded by crap defense) it was also possible to chip that to the far post, Chesney wouldn't get there before Sturridge would, making the gap between them irrelevant.

That was a ridiculously easy chance and completely fluffed, Suarez had a crap game.

Back
Top Bottom