Football Fixtures 12-13th January **Spoilers**

Associate
Ronaldo intelligently, some may say unfairly, won that penalty, by making a connection occur - unfortunately due to some of his previous antics, his reputation is starting to lead to doubt in everyone's minds, apart from, it seems, the officials, who to a degree seemed to turn on Andy Johnson a little last year.

Don
It wasn't a penalty as Gilly says the defender doesn't have to move out the way but in the current climate Ronaldo can't be singled out for playing for the contact. Had he changed the path of his run or stuck out a leg to make contact then he should have been booked but he's simply just carried on his run knowing he's going to crash into Taylor to try and win a pen which unfortunately has become part and parcel of the game.

Last edited:
Soldato
yea defenders dont have to move out the way but if they stick their legs right out it can easily be given, sure thats what we were taught in PE, be a brick wall but dont leave trailing limbs :)

Soldato
by the laws of the game it's a penalty. leaving your leg out is tripping or attempting to trip. it's under law 12 under reckless or excessive play.

Soldato
It wasn't a penalty as Gilly says the defender doesn't have to move out the way but in the current climate Ronaldo can't be singled out for playing for the contact. Had he changed the path of his run or stuck out a leg to make contact then he should have been booked but he's simply just carried on his run knowing he's going to crash into Taylor to try and win a pen which unfortunately has become part and parcel of the game.
The ostruction rule means the defender doesn't have to move out of the attackers path. It doesn't apply people sticking their leg out.

Don
Did he intentionally trip or intend to trip Ronaldo? I don't think so. His legs were the way they were because he managed to square himself up when trying to defend Ronaldo, there didn't seem any intention of actually making a tackle.

Soldato
^^ Idd it could have easily been given as a pen, although most likely not since ronaldo ran into it when he could have quite easily avoided it. Plus his old reputation has come back a bit over the previously few weeks.

Soldato
i'll write it up.

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force.

carelessness doesn't beget intent.

Soldato
leaving a trailing leg is obviously careless. to be honest it's not even something that we'd normal discuss, you leave a trailing leg in the penalty box and someone goes over it it's a foul and your own fault. not sure why someone has considered it worthy of debate.

Soldato
taylor was at fault end of really baz, but in his defense, ronaldo generally looks for trailing legs or defenders struggling and runs into whatever limb is sticking out..

Don
You could argue it was careless i suppose but when there's no tackle being made and a player could have easily avoided the leg and still retained the ball then i don't think it should be a pen. But like i said above you can't blame Ronaldo too much as its become part of the game (playing for the contact, not diving as such).

Last edited:
Soldato
yea, pretty much how gerrard says a lot of the foreign players bringing diving into the game ruins it, but hes still guilty of going down without much of a fight on occasion, which to be honest is all fair, because every bugger else does. Just ronaldo seems to do it a bit more often than most, and its always in the papers more because you get fergie crying murder in the papers about the penalty that was not given.

Soldato
I think it's fair to say Ronaldo actively seeks those 'opportunities' more than pretty much any other player, which is why he's an easy target for criticism.

Permabanned
This has been the best ever Football Fixtures thread, reminds me of going to a match, then meeting up in town t'pub and arguing about the weekend results then going back in history trying to prove who was the best.

Back
Top Bottom