• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

For all those asking which 670 to buy!

Soldato
shame that they (just like most reviewers) don't state what the ACTUAL boost clock was running at when they ran these tests... different cards will run at different boosts even when set to the same base clock

all this test does is tells you which the quietest or coolest is, not the fastest, and when push comes to shove most people will want to know which is the fastest above the other 2 considerations

Soldato
shame that they (just like most reviewers) don't state what the ACTUAL boost clock was running at when they ran these tests... different cards will run at different boosts even when set to the same base clock

all this test does is tells you which the quietest or coolest is, not the fastest, and when push comes to shove most people will want to know which is the fastest above the other 2 considerations

Yup, agreed. They should have overclocked them all to see which one achieves the best clock even if for the most part it's sample dependent.

Associate
I'm in the market for a new graphics card. What concerns me about the 670 is the fact nvidia make it. I've got an nvidia 580 at the moment and to be blunt the drivers are pure ****. The nvidia forums are littered with people complaining about problems/crashes etc.

Soldato
Shame MSI PE 670 wasn't in the test.

Not sure which to get :/

This.

I don't think it's out yet, though.

If I was interested in a 670 it would be top of my list atm.

Actually I just saw it doesn't have a backplate. I'd get the Asus then, lol. Aesthetics > voltage for me.

I'm in the market for a new graphics card. What concerns me about the 670 is the fact nvidia make it. I've got an nvidia 580 at the moment and to be blunt the drivers are pure ****. The nvidia forums are littered with people complaining about problems/crashes etc.

tbf very few people will go to the nvidia forums to say they don't have issues.

What problems do you have with the 580?

Associate
Best overall with only a 980MHz core +boost...seriously that's getting annoying that they fail to mention what the cards are actually running at.

It's really not hard to figure out. Windforce out of the box runs at 1176core and 6010mem when used in any of those benchmarks while under 70C, not 980 or 1059 which are the official ratings that you will never see even with thermal throttling. If there was a 200MHz difference between it and the AMP they would not be so close in performance.

That could be a good idea for a thread, what Kepler cards are actually rated at.

[/rant]

Associate
This.

I don't think it's out yet, though.

If I was interested in a 670 it would be top of my list atm.

Actually I just saw it doesn't have a backplate. I'd get the Asus then, lol. Aesthetics > voltage for me.

I am pretty sure the PE Cards have been selling here on ocuk and another well known retailer for a week or so now.

Just had a mooch about, came across this article made two weeks ago.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_670_Power_Edition/

Interesting review.

I did look at the ASUS Top card but after reading around I found that a lot people are having dramas with the fans and o/c abilities. ASUS not renowned for great customer service i didn't look any further into it.

Just thought I'd post this review, let me know what you guys think.

Cheers.

Soldato
^I've seen the 670 PE listed for pre-order at another retailer but not at ocuk.

Edit: with you on asus. Tbh I wanted 680s anyway, where backplates are more common :D.

I luff backplates.

Associate
Yeah the other retailer had loads in stock last week, must have sold fast ^^

I also noticed they're selling the card for nearly £30 less then what ocuk were selling them for, which was £359.99 if remember correctly.

Not too sure about flashing the bios on a gfx card, never done that before.

So i am still in two minds over which card to get, toss up over these three i think.

MSI PE, Windforce or EVGA ftw.

Soldato
But they all have 2GB VRAM, so sure the answer is none of them?

EDIT: Also they say the Gigabyte is good for SLI when you only have a single slot gap. I'm guessing this is theory and they didn't try it. I did, with Tri-SLI (so no gap between cards) and no only did they run hot and loud but the fans were hitting the clipped and solders legs of the components on the back of the adjacent board! Maybe I got unlucky, but I wouldn't recommend putting them that close together!

Last edited:
Soldato
as long as you don't plan on OCing it a lot it should be fine - though I personally would probably pay the tiny bit extra for the EVGA as it has a bigger heatsink and less noisy fan compared with the nv reference model (I have 2 of them so I might be slightly biased but at £299 they are also a really good deal)

Back
Top Bottom