For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
oh ok misread you.

yeah easy use a wider grip or with dumbells go up into a Y shape instead of overhead thats how i press

No worries, thanks for the lengthy response anyway, as I'm sure it will come in handy :)

I'll give it a go on my next shoulder day anyway, cheers for that.

Get's me thinking as well, I should get myself a barbell for these sort of things for some variety...

Associate
protein shake for sure unless you have a good job (3x a day with oats) a good 700g's of meat per day would be good with 400g of carbs try adding 1000cals to whatever you do now and see how you go

How do you mean 'good job? You mean a job thats labour intensive?

I'm in a normal 9-5 IT job, nothing too physical.

Truth is, if you work out hard enough at the GYM, during work hours are your rest.. a chance to eat healthy, protein rich foods... I drink x3 shakes per day and ive noticed that I recover far quicker by drinking them, and feel like crap when I miss drinking a couple...

Ive gone from 10 stone, to almost 12 stone and have cut up too, still got along way to go... been training for about 4 months now - 3 times a week.

A decent, crap free diet is a must have! Otherwise your wasting your time or making things a lot harder :)

Soldato
How do you mean 'good job? You mean a job thats labour intensive?

I'm in a normal 9-5 IT job, nothing too physical.

Truth is, if you work out hard enough at the GYM, during work hours are your rest.. a chance to eat healthy, protein rich foods... I drink x3 shakes per day and ive noticed that I recover far quicker by drinking them, and feel like crap when I miss drinking a couple...

Ive gone from 10 stone, to almost 12 stone and have cut up too, still got along way to go... been training for about 4 months now - 3 times a week.

A decent, crap free diet is a must have! Otherwise your wasting your time or making things a lot harder :)

I think he means a job where you can get a few meals in during the day at your desk, rather than shakes.

Permabanned
not sure i would do shoulder press, front raises and arnolds.
2 much bias on the front delts imo, especially for a new person

i was assuming he was gonna do db shoulder press which is less anterior deltoid intensive than bar work. The thing is front raises help to activate the front delts on a different plain of motion and i think its important for a beginner to get a good feel for the movments. But hey nothing is set in stone im a firm believer that you can build bug shoulders with just shoulder press if done right

Caporegime
Well...Like I said currently on my shoulder days I would do:

Lateral/front raises, rear flys, upright rows...and sometimes throw in some shoulder presses (But I'm going to do them more now) I would sometimes put shrugs in here, or on back day, it varies at the moment.

Now morba suggested doing this:

10xlat raise
10xfront raise
10x db press...One after the other, DB press being a heavier weight though...Would it be wise to do this more than once? Because I think I could handle more than once through...but obviously resting after the DB press. And possibly throw some rear flys.

Then after a while change the routine to something like Ultra Extreme said?

shoulder press
front raise
side raise
arnold press
reverse flye

Just so my body don't get too used to certain routines...From what I have been doing though, my shoulders are probably one of the biggest improvements I've seen in my body, theres just mroe definition I feel, but I could be wrong.

So hopefully trying out the above will improve thing's more :)

Soldato
Love it, although it doesn't look overly sturdy in that pic?

In that pic one of the poles was too tall and I literally hammered it to get it vertical so it was unmovable. I then decided this probably wasn't good for the roof and shortened it a bit. Now I really need a 7ft bar so I can make it wider because it does seem a bit flimsy atm but that's just my rushed attempt.

im tempted to build my own rack (like that scaffolding one!) and make a pulley system for it. Shouldnt cost much i doubt, would then just need weight! :D

All in including clips and delivery cost me £55 and that was from ebay. I'dls be intereted in buiding a pulley system.

Permabanned
Care to elaborate? :)

sure, front and behind the neck pressing are the major compound movments for shoulders. Fact is that most beginners can get to a good level purely doing compounds. 2 variations of each to moderate volume with moderate intensity cycled with strength specific training at a higher intensity is all anyone needs.

Ive already refined most of my sessions down to about 3 or 4 movments focusing soley on compound movements. bench press, shoulder press, squats, deads, rows. Thats pretty much it. Then i use my instinct to hit a few other areas but its not necessary. If a beginner hit a 7x7 4 day routine i firmly believe they would do better than most doing only 2 exercises per day.

But what works for one person may not work for another, freefaller does mega volume and its not done him any harm at all, but it takes SO much more effort!

If i was to train up a newbie id prescribe the following:

(7x7)
Mon
Shoulder press - medium grip
Shoulder press - dumbells (w/eccentric)

Weds
Deadlift with wide grip
bent over row

Fri
Incline bench press
Weighted dips

Sat
Squats
Front squats

Something like that, although i might to a bi weekly alternation (a/b) for variation. But doing the above with the correct weights will put muscle on almost anyone

Last edited:
Permabanned
Is there an advantage doing incline bench press? Rather than lying down?

I do quite a few exercises on each session...Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing though :p

yes incline works the whole chest, flat leaves the upper chest unworked. I'll give 1000 quid to any guy who can grow a bigger upper chest than lower, just not possible.

Man of Honour
yeah and you earn enough to buy all the food you need lol not all that many people i know can afford a bodybuilding diet, shakes help a lot

Yeah though people rely on shakes too easily, but I admit they are an easy get out of jail card.

I'm lucky in that I can afford £60 or so on food for myself per week (joys of living alone!). And in spite of being up at 5am every day and not leaving work till 530-6pm I still manage to eat well. It's about being organised and making the efforts. I do use shakes from time to time, certainly when I'm under pressure of social life gets in the way, but I don't rely on them as a staple part of my diet. :)

PAz

PAz

Soldato
Yeah though people rely on shakes too easily, but I admit they are an easy get out of jail card.

I'm lucky in that I can afford £60 or so on food for myself per week (joys of living alone!). And in spite of being up at 5am every day and not leaving work till 530-6pm I still manage to eat well. It's about being organised and making the efforts. I do use shakes from time to time, certainly when I'm under pressure of social life gets in the way, but I don't rely on them as a staple part of my diet. :)

I too prepare my own food and take it to the office. The only problem I have is people often complain about the smell! Thats when shakes/protein bars are handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom