For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Powerline Rack and Hi-Lo pulley. It was really the price of the pulley system that attracted me to the rack in the first place, at less than half the price of some of the other systems at the time, it made the whole thing a reasonable purchase. Only issue with it is that it sticks out the back by quite a long way forcing the rack out into the room further than I originally thought.

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind?

Is the pully system nice & smooth & does it allow full range of motion i.e. would I be able to do kneeling pulldowns OK?

but why back and tris on the same day...As I'll be working my bi's on my back day due to the ROW's I do...Same with the chest as i'll be working my tri's more, due to the bench press / flys.

again, you have answered your own question.
you already partially work the tris when doing chest, so you cant really target them fully after a chest session because they have had some work.
Doing it another day allows you to really hit them, giving them a full workout and also a partial workout.
Same for bis on a chest day :]

again, you have answered your own question.
you already partially work the tris when doing chest, so you cant really target them fully after a chest session because they have had some work.
Doing it another day allows you to really hit them, giving them a full workout and also a partial workout.
Same for bis on a chest day :]

Heh, I do that for some reason, sorry :p

I see you point I guess...But when I first started, I was told to not do specific work on my tri's, because they don't really need them...Especially I'd I'm doing push-ups etc as well.

But if you think the above will be better off in the long run, then I'll gladly try them out for a few weeks and see hoe thing's go.

Just wondering if it would be worth it to put the now legs/shoulder day inbetween the other two so my arms (mainly tri's/biceps) get a half decent rest.

Personally I prefer the last split I've done which was
Back (inc Traps & Rear Delts)
Chest (inc front & side Delts)
Legs (inc lower back)
Arms & Abs

I used to love hitting Tri's and Bis on the same day, plus because I'd generally only do 2 isolation exercises for each it would take no time at all.

Pretty good chest session tonight.

Controlled dips 2x10 with 15kg plate was a new PB so that was cool.

But the highlight of the evening........my favourite chav was in tonight. Again training biceps in a sleeveless top to show off those cocktail stick arms, again putting 20kg plates on each side of the EZ bar on the preacher bench. Again doing probably a third of a rep. This has been going on two/three times a week for the last 2/3 months. I can't understand why his arms aren't getting bigger :D

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind?

Is the pully system nice & smooth & does it allow full range of motion i.e. would I be able to do kneeling pulldowns OK?

Motion is smooth with little stiction. All the pulleys run on proper bearings and there is no need to give the system a heave to get things moving.

As for range of motion, the weight platform moves through just over 58" leaving the bar on the standard attachment (there are several clips supplied and a short chain if needed) just over 16" from the floor.

Motion is smooth with little stiction. All the pulleys run on proper bearings and there is no need to give the system a heave to get things moving.

As for range of motion, the weight platform moves through just over 58" leaving the bar on the standard attachment (there are several clips supplied and a short chain if needed) just over 16" from the floor.

Thats great, many thanks for your help:)

Out of interest Morba, where would you put shoulder presses into that routine then? Shoulders? Cause it works my tri's more I think :p

If its working your tris more than your shoulders then you are doing something wrong, something very wrong :p
you could try some combined exercises like:

10xlat raise
10xfront raise
10x db press

do them immediately after each other, no rest. that will give your shoulders a nice workout before heading into the standard DB shoulder presses.
Oh, dont do the exercises with the weight that you would normally do DB presses with, you wont make it through the set :p

If its working your tris more than your shoulders then you are doing something wrong, something very wrong :p
you could try some combined exercises like:

10xlat raise
10xfront raise
10x db press

do them immediately after each other, no rest. that will give your shoulders a nice workout before heading into the standard DB shoulder presses.
Oh, dont do the exercises with the weight that you would normally do DB presses with, you wont make it through the set :p

Thanks again, this is appreciated.

Odd, I'd have thought you use the tri's more, merely due to the action of pushing the dumbells 'up' :p

Ah, when you say 10x db press, I presume you mean the shoulder press? Edit: Unless you meant dumb bell bench press.

Sorry for the dumb questions...

On a side note, my right elbow has suddenly decided to start hurting.

Last edited:
Odd, I'd have thought you use the tri's more, merely due to the action of pushing the dumbells 'up' :p

haha m8 think about it, your shoulder press the same as your bench press? Didnt think so. But the movement is the same, so triceps are doing the exact same thing in both exercises but in shoulder presses they are pretty much on holiday assisting whatever the delts can manage but hardly worked. As you improve the gulf between shoulder press and bench becomes bigger and bigger averaging a 2:1 bench:shoulder press in experienced lifters, often even more.

haha m8 think about it, your shoulder press the same as your bench press? Didnt think so. But the movement is the same, so triceps are doing the exact same thing in both exercises but in shoulder presses they are pretty much on holiday assisting whatever the delts can manage but hardly worked. As you improve the gulf between shoulder press and bench becomes bigger and bigger averaging a 2:1 bench:shoulder press in experienced lifters, often even more.

No need to laugh :p

Like you said, the movement is similar, hence my assumption.

I just look at it like this...how can you push the dumb bell up without using your tri's? Cause your shoulder's can't extend your tri's for you.

I'll give them a go mid-week, and see how thing's go, and try and concentrate more movement into the shoulders.

I just look at it like this...how can you push the dumb bell up without using your tri's? Cause your shoulder's can't extend your tri's for you.

Always look at the weakest prime mover m8 the delts are the weakest link in the chain. Doesnt matter if your tricep can exert enough force to 'straighten' against 200kilos if your delt can only support 50 kilo youll only move 50kilo in the shoulder press. Otherwise all presses would be exactly the same!

Always look at the weakest prime mover m8 the delts are the weakest link in the chain. Doesnt matter if your tricep can exert enough force to 'straighten' against 200kilos if your delt can only support 50 kilo youll only move 50kilo in the shoulder press. Otherwise all presses would be exactly the same!

So do you personally have a technique to work the delts more? Or is it a matter of trying out thing's my end.

protein shake for sure unless you have a good job (3x a day with oats) a good 700g's of meat per day would be good with 400g of carbs try adding 1000cals to whatever you do now and see how you go

So do you personally have a technique to work the delts more? Or is it a matter of trying out thing's my end.

i do a shoulder day m8, did one today

standing shoulder press (bar)

75x10
70x10
70x5
70x5
70x5

Front cable raises (could be done with a bar)
20x12
20x12
25x5
25x5
25x5

Single cable side raise
5(kg lol) x 10
5x10
5x10
7.5x5
7.5x5

shrugs
200x15x5

but thats not a program id recommend for a newbie obviously, i change it weekly.

Something like

shoulder press
front raise
side raise
arnold press
reverse flye

good shoulder day

i do a shoulder day m8, did one today

standing shoulder press (bar)

75x10
70x10
70x5
70x5
70x5

Front cable raises (could be done with a bar)
20x12
20x12
25x5
25x5
25x5

Single cable side raise
5(kg lol) x 10
5x10
5x10
7.5x5
7.5x5

shrugs
200x15x5

but thats not a program id recommend for a newbie obviously, i change it weekly.

Something like

shoulder press
front raise
side raise
arnold press
reverse flye

good shoulder day

Cool, I was trying to see if you had more of a way to make the delts do more work so to speak when doing DB shoulder presses.

I no doubt will end up doing a specific shoulder day some time in the future, so the above is good information for when the time comes :)

On a side note, I tried the arnold press once or twice, and they do a good job of destroying you if your not used to them :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom