For those who pay £35 for a years Tax - What do you drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
As per the title I want to hear from people who are fortunate enough to only pay £35 for a whole years road tax.

My girlfriends car costs £180 for a years tax
Even more if she were to pay for two 6 months installments
She drives a 1996 Bubble Shape Rover 216 1.6 litre petrol

We want to replace it with something cheaper to tax, cheaper to run and hopefully cheaper to insure so im trying to compile a list of options

As I understand it the car has to have been built after March 2001 to qualify for the cheaper tax

So far I only know of a handful:

Renault Clio 1.5 Diesel
Toyota Yaris D4D

Are there any petrols that make it into this tax bracket or is it only diesels?
Im not sure if its possible as even a 0.8 litre matiz doesnt make it !!

Thanks peeps

B.

A moped.

What you have to be thinking to yourself is how many years is it before all the savings through the smaller engined car is enough to pay for itself. :)

A Smart FourTwo as well as the moped. :)

Last edited:
To qualify it needs to have less than 121 CO2 emission figures (g/km). You can find out which cars have this by downloading the info on them here

Last edited:
Boomstick said:
Seriously though the car is going to be replaced anyway and if we can do that and get a car that only costs £35 to tax then its a bonus....

It's a daft idea to severely restrict your choice of car to obtain a saving which is a drop in the ocean compared to other running costs associated with running a car.

Stick to the topic please Fox

In what way is discussing the merits of buying low tax cars not related to the topic of buying a low tax car?

Can I suggest a car that is £900 below budget?

(Sorry but I agree with Fox. Tax is a slight annoyance. Buying a crap car is a huge one every time you need to pull away in a slightly brisk fashion.)

i think its a good idea, if you want a nice small car then go for it. Reduces your carbon footprint as well (waits for fox to say it makes no diffrences)

depends what you want the car for.

if you get cheaper tax and it's more economical which it has to be and you don't need a loan, nothing wrong with it. If you need a loan then it's a bit silly.

This isnt a car for me its a car for my girlfriend who only wants a car thats cheap to run and gets from A to B. Every penny saved is important, she doesnt readily have £180 to hand to pay the tax or £40 to stick in the tank

Running costs are an issue for some people and do influence buying decissions.

Fox your argument is irrelevant in this circumstance. She doesnt care about 0-60's top speed, fancy toys or even the badge on the front.

The important factors are as already stated cheap running costs and comfort.

P.S. Muban thanks very much for that link, lists all of the cars for me, Cheers bud

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with what Boomstick's asking. He's in the market for a new car - want's to minimise operational costs - ie fuel, tax, insurance, servicing. These are all loosely related so minimising one (the tax as he originally suggested) will also correlate with lower fuel, insurance and likely servicing.

What sort of budget are you looking at?

clv101 said:
Nothing wrong with what Boomstick's asking. He's in the market for a new car - want's to minimise operational costs - ie fuel, tax, insurance, servicing. These are all loosely related so minimising one (the tax as he originally suggested) will also correlate with lower fuel, insurance and likely servicing

There would be nothing wrong with it were the sub 120g/km tax bracket filled with a choice of cars. But it isn't. There are very few cars in this bracket and almost without exception all are awful. There are, however, a plethora of cheap to insure, economical, great cars which are unfortunately above the 120g/km bracket. To discount these cars on the basis that it'll cost another £75 a year to tax (assuming £110 bracket) is absolutely ridiculous.

[TW]Fox said:
There would be nothing wrong with it were the sub 120g/km tax bracket filled with a choice of cars. But it isn't. There are very few cars in this bracket and almost without exception all are awful. .

Awfuls not really a problem here, its the cost to buy one of these cars. They usually hold a premium. But if he's got the cash to splash, or can get 0% finance then fine. If he's got to get a loan then I agree with you.

Plenty of choice here:

DIESLES:

Citroen - C1, C2, C3, C4
Fiat - New Panda, Grande Punto
Ford - Fiesta, Fusion
Hyundai - Getz
Peugeot - 206, 207
Renault - Clio, Modus, Meganne
Skoda - Fabia
Toyota - Aygo, Yaris
Vauxhall - Corsa

PETROL

Citroen - C1
Daihatsu - Charade, Sirion
Mitsubishi - i
Peugeot - 107
Smart - Several models
Toyota - Aygo
Vauxhall - Corsa

22 different models to choose from not including the various smarts

No I would not need to take out a loan to buy a new car I would pay in cold hard cash up front.

Plenty of choice? Just LOOK at the cars on that list. There are a few good ones on there but only the really base engines will qualify. Can you imagine how tedious a Megane with a qualifying engine would be? When for £75 a year more tax you could have another Megane with a decent engine and very similar fuel economy?

[TW]Fox said:
Plenty of choice? Just LOOK at the cars on that list. There are a few good ones on there but only the really base engines will qualify. Can you imagine how tedious a Megane with a qualifying engine would be? When for £75 a year more tax you could have another Megane with a decent engine and very similar fuel economy?

if he's not a car nut, then it makes little difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom