Formula Boinc 2017

Soldato
Mark, don't worry I'll be sure to send you a reminder for next time haha. Still.. You can still continue to run a project if you wish. My self will be having a go at pogs to help get us to number 1 on there

So as this one has finished - think I will try to help you on pogs.
Mark

Soldato
nope we don't have it covered lol. BaBa for example has a 120 core intel xeon machine and other members have 64core and more machines, other teams have the same but with a lot more active members. the more we have onboard at OcUK the better :D
what hardware do you have? feel free to join up and help out on what ever takes your fancy @Matzo

Last edited:
Associate
heres mine now rocking 2x 280x (on air atm)
chk out dem threads running :)

20170801_124724_2.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Bet that rips through the tasks with 2x GPUs @andy_taximan

@ozaudio I've got various hardware, been playing around with a few i5's at the moment but the difference a GPU makes is amazing. Got me thinking about AMD's Ryzen processors with the features they have on those chips. Been running a twin Xeon also to see how that goes, but on reduced resource consumption.

http://pogs.theskynet.org/pogs/show_user.php?userid=175816

Soldato
:eek: nice collection of cpu power you have there, but theres a big problem, your not on ocuk team haha. are you a solo cruncher or was you part of any team? ( just take the hint and join us :D:D lol )

here's myn
http://pogs.theskynet.org/pogs/hosts_user.php

andy, you could try a Linux virtual machine with 16 cores and see how it does. my 32 core is on windows 8.1 so I think I need to do the same as its quite abit faster on Linux so over a 24 hour day id get quite a few more tasks done

Last edited:
Associate
So are you guys running BOINC on a flat install, from VMs within the OS (on Oracle VirtualBox for example) or VMs from a hypervisor (on ESXi)?

Soldato
good to have you onboard :) new blood is what we need as the more people around that post, the more interesting it keeps things :D

most of us run from our normal operating system but some times if a project runs better some users will have dual boot between Linux / windows or use vm's. for example Pogs is better on Linux

Associate
Bet that rips through the tasks with 2x GPUs @andy_taximan

@ozaudio I've got various hardware, been playing around with a few i5's at the moment but the difference a GPU makes is amazing. Got me thinking about AMD's Ryzen processors with the features they have on those chips. Been running a twin Xeon also to see how that goes, but on reduced resource consumption.

http://pogs.theskynet.org/pogs/show_user.php?userid=175816

No idea, gpu`s are mining atm, will change over next gpu sprint we get :)
Welcome to Team 10

Ill set up a VM in the morning Oz

Soldato
ive decided that im bored so I decided ill set my self one up now lol, all via team viwer

we lost a spot on milkyway grrr. that's because now theres nobody running it lol. I think phil must have moved to bitcoin mining with his 6990's, ill stick a gtx 670 on there and see how it does and then see what else I can get on there well

Last edited:
Soldato
I now have a 30 meter Ethernet cable going to the shed. I did a speed test and it's faster than my main pc as this is WiFi also. No longer shall I keep having to spend many hours in the shed messing about with crap WiFi that I should have never even had in the first place lol. Only cost me £5 from some wholesale warehouse near me. I think also I'll tidy some wiring back up so there is room for another system.

Associate
I now have a 30 meter Ethernet cable going to the shed. I did a speed test and it's faster than my main pc as this is WiFi also. No longer shall I keep having to spend many hours in the shed messing about with crap WiFi that I should have never even had in the first place lol. Only cost me £5 from some wholesale warehouse near me. I think also I'll tidy some wiring back up so there is room for another system.

No dropouts or poor signal with an ethernet cable, so it's all good, plus £5 is way cheaper than an access point with a better range.

Soldato
Yep a lot better. Every time I was trying to download or upload a few tasks at once it dropped and took ages to reconnect. If I added a new project I had no chance as all the tasks at once just froze the WiFi like lol. No network switch needed yet as these boards are servers I've daisy chained the Internet. Pictures to follow, because everybody loves pictures haha
oh and my reserve of spare hdd's lol

Last edited:
Associate
Looking good there, interesting water cooling setup - can't say that I've ever gone that extreme on cooling.

Speaking of servers, I've switched over from the i5's and stood a couple of physical servers up instead. 100% Xeon powered now.

Was toying with the idea of clustering all the resources and having one VM drawing on the pool.

Back
Top Bottom