Formula E, 2018-2019

Caporegime
OP
Some of the format decisions seem...klunky. Also hope they can get the production sorted, audio, screen info, camera direction was all over the show.

Yeah, the graphics seemed off, and the director did a poor job of following the action. More driver name captions would help too, so we know who we're following. Still, I rather enjoyed the race. Plenty of action throughout, and the "Attack Mode" didn't feel as contrived as I thought it would but rather a more tactical element. Fan Boost sucks though.

Caporegime
OP
Your location says you're in Germany, but iPlayer has it if you're in the UK (or presumably use a UK VPN): https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episo...-201819-formula-e-championship-santiago-eprix

Unfortunately, the Beeb has been blocking VPNs again and I haven't been able to get iPlayer for a while.

Judging by the last race it looks like they upload the full race to Youtube the day after, so it might be available later today.

Cool. I'll look later.

Caporegime
OP
Sadly too much like the touring cars on street circuits. Cars are too similar and street circuits are too narrow. Just a procession, maybe that's what we have to expect these days. All the attempts to promote overtaking are silly maybe we should go more towards remote racing where no driver gets hurt in an accident? The crashes could then be spectacular

There were plenty of overtakes throughout the race, as there nearly always are in Formula E, but the TV director was terrible at showing them

Caporegime
OP
Were they driver implemented or did those overtakes come from fake advantages? Have they implemented that phone in boost I read about or the in track boost to make the cars go over particular parts of the track?

Most were real. Some were from "attack mode" that is activated by going over some part of the track. Personally, I don't mind Attack Mode as it's a tactical resource that is used by the drivers to gain an advantage at a particular time, it's certainly a lot better than DRS. The phone-in boost you talk about is also there - "fan boost" - and it's as much garbage as you'd expect. Fortunately, however, it doesn't seem to have very much effect, since it's only there for 5 seconds.

Caporegime
OP
I'm at the Berlin race weekend today. There's actually a surprising amount to do here as well as the various race events. We've watched the shakedown and the iPace practice so far, and are going to see if the virtual race is fun.

Caporegime
OP
Well, I really enjoyed that. Motorsport is strange to watch live as you're often relying on the big screen to tell you what is going on but it was still a really enjoyable experience. I think we'll go to another race next year.

Watching Lopez limp over the line with the crowd cheering was pretty funny too.

Back
Top Bottom