Forza Horizon 5 - Mexico

Man of Honour
I guess it could be that it needs to decompress some assets up front because it uses too much cpu decompressing on the fly, but I'm not sure if the XBO would be less powerful than a min spec PC with 4 threads (Intel i5 4460 / Ryzen 3 1200) or not.

Associate
XBO requiring higher storage space is apparently due to efficiencies coming from the series s/x having a high speed SSD and needs a smaller install footprint.

Just what I have read :)

Soldato
Weird that the XO version is 13GB bigger than all the others, the only explanation I can think of is maybe it needs to include some lower resolution assets that wouldn't be needed on XSX/XSS, and they also left the higher res assets in there.... but even then, you'd think the PC versions would have them also to cater for weaker PCs? Just seems odd.

Anyway I'm looking forward to this, the FH series is basically what I've wanted for a long time, it's like TDU but even bigger and better. I'm largely done with FH4 (think it's the first in the series I have driven every road) but have gone back to FH3, sadly I have the physical edition so can only play on my XSX not PC, and it's locked to 30fps on XSX for some silly reason. Even the weekly challenge stuff in FH4 I quite enjoyed, gave me a reason to keep checking bak.

Well, that's already changed with the patch that droppd yesterday. Windows version is 122gb installed now.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
XBO requiring higher storage space is apparently due to efficiencies coming from the series s/x having a high speed SSD and needs a smaller install footprint.

Just what I have read :)
Doesn't make any sense though. Why would having a slower drive mean you need a larger install, if anything you'd want to have a smaller install size on a slower drive because it will take longer to read and write the take anyway without having even more data. Maybe some partitioning thing could explain it (SSD can have the data scattered anywhere whereas HDD needs to nicely lined up) but even then I can't see that resulting in such a big delta.

Associate
Why would having a slower drive mean you need a larger install

I'm guessing that drive speed alone isn't the issue, rather the ability of a newer CPU to do asset decompression more quickly allowing for the smaller install size. I've got a 4790K and a 10700k that I use for FH4. On initial loading the 10700K gives enough time to adjust chair, scratch nads and move cat from desk. With the 4790K I could do go for a jog, have a shower and start the dinner. Both are fine in game.

Less than a week to go. I'm stroked as you young people say.

Man of Honour
I'm guessing that drive speed alone isn't the issue, rather the ability of a newer CPU to do asset decompression more quickly allowing for the smaller install size
Yeah I mentioned that possibility earlier but not sure a min spec PC with 4 threads is that much quicker than an 8 core XBO.

Associate
Guys, what's the situation with using Australian VPN to unlock the game early on Microsoft Store? This would allow us play from 12:30pm on Thursday.

Wouldn't risk it to be honest. Microsoft were known to get tetchy at people who changed the date and time on their consoles to try and unlock cars and events early in FH4.

Soldato
Doesn't make any sense though. Why would having a slower drive mean you need a larger install, if anything you'd want to have a smaller install size on a slower drive because it will take longer to read and write the take anyway without having even more data. Maybe some partitioning thing could explain it (SSD can have the data scattered anywhere whereas HDD needs to nicely lined up) but even then I can't see that resulting in such a big delta.
It's the hardware decompression blocks, not the SSD as such, which means the data can be compressed and then decompressed on the fly.

Associate
See this is coming to steam also on release, think i will cop it there as dont have much luck from games bought from the ms store sometimes where are you guys going to pick it up?

Soldato
Weird that the XO version is 13GB bigger than all the others, the only explanation I can think of is maybe it needs to include some lower resolution assets that wouldn't be needed on XSX/XSS, and they also left the higher res assets in there.... but even then, you'd think the PC versions would have them also to cater for weaker PCs? Just seems odd.

Anyway I'm looking forward to this, the FH series is basically what I've wanted for a long time, it's like TDU but even bigger and better. I'm largely done with FH4 (think it's the first in the series I have driven every road) but have gone back to FH3, sadly I have the physical edition so can only play on my XSX not PC, and it's locked to 30fps on XSX for some silly reason. Even the weekly challenge stuff in FH4 I quite enjoyed, gave me a reason to keep checking bak.
might not support Texture compression version they are using maybe they are using for example SHa-3 V3 & xbox one only supports v2 so cannot compress data as much or decompress

Back
Top Bottom