Found out where the tax money goes.........

Soldato
Think of how much it costs to stock a small library. OUTRAGE!

But you'd be in prison.

I'll try to find the link, but there was a great blog a few years ago by someone who was fairly relaxed about going in because he'd read how easy it was. He found the reality of being stuck in a number of small rooms for several months to be extremely depressing.

Does anyone here actually think that playing MW3 (OK, it's not great in any situation) is compensation for not being able to go outside and having your life put on hold or ruined?

Almost everything that you enjoy about your life is taken away from prisoners - they are not on easy street because they can play the odd game. This is like a football forum complaining about exercise yards.

I'm effectively imprisoned in my workplace for ~12 hours/day, the weather in this country is terrible, and most of the people I have to interact with on a daily basis are ****. About the only thing I'd miss is having my own bed.

They do, they work and pay rental for tvs and consoles.

No prisoners are handed tvs/consoles without good behaviour and payment.

I'd be curious to know how the amount of work in-mates have to put in to earn these items compares to people on the outside.

Soldato
Lock them up for most the day bar a bit of exercise and food. Supply them with books and education and enable them to take exams. Then for some hands on training a bit like an apprenticeship. When they get out they have a chance of doing something good with their new knowledge

Permabanned
this is absolute BS

I actually work in the prison service, and the latest consoles with network ability are a banned item, the only console they are allowed is ps2, and they have to buy it themselves, anything with wifi or ethernet is BANNED

Soldato
Lock them up for most the day bar a bit of exercise and food. Supply them with books and education and enable them to take exams. Then for some hands on training a bit like an apprenticeship. When they get out they have a chance of doing something good with their new knowledge

I'd be in favour of prisoners being forced through education, be it academic, trade or otherwise - anything which constitutes a useful skill in the real world - and them having to achieve a qualification to a specific standard before release.

No passey no releasey :p

Soldato
Even if it is true, which is probably unlikely as most prisons only allow PS2s and the like, if it keeps them occupied while in prison then fair enough. They're still locked away, unable to be part of society, they're often under threat of violence, surrounded by drug problems, getting very little help - so anything that helps, is good.

An xbox ≠ holiday camp for the unruly.

A prisoner should be grateful that he/she has a PS2.

I really don't think tax money should be spent on that. I do sometimes wonder what tax is for.

To say prisoners need games consoles for rehab is one thing, but they don't need spanking brand new consoles and COD that came out a week or two ago.

Man of Honour
this is absolute BS

I actually work in the prison service, and the latest consoles with network ability are a banned item, the only console they are allowed is ps2, and they have to buy it themselves, anything with wifi or ethernet is BANNED

I don't mean to sound dense but surely simply not giving the prisoners access to network cabling or a wifi network would sort that potential issue?

Soldato
I notice that everyone deriding 'privileges' and emphasising punishment and deprivation still haven't produced anything other than knee-jerk opinion to substantiate their claims that it is the best way to do it.

Hatter The Mad said:
No first and foremost, we put dangerous criminals away to keep us safe, NOT to rehabilitate them.
We do the former, but we should be doing the latter. Because we don't put enough money or time into the latter means we have the highest reoffending rate and the highest number of prisoners per capita in Europe.

rehabilitation will not and does not work.
Show me some evidence for this, because pretty much all evidence and every other neighbouring penal and prison system (especially in Scandinavia, known to be 'cushy') which focuses on rehabilitation shows the exact opposite to what you're saying.

Jail NEEDS to be hard, and being locked up more than those in Europe, but having a tv and games console inside your cell while those locked up in some Euro country are locked up less, but have no tv, and no consoles when they are locked up....... THAT is why they reoffend less. Jail is less like normal life, and its a consequence they are less willing to put up with.
Please provide evidence for this. Again, theory and actual results show that the more like real life jail is (and the more of a functioning community jail is), the lower the reoffending rates and the better the civilian who comes out of the penal system.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom