FoxHole - RTS - Possibly the best RTS I played

Soldato
I was going to take a punt on this, but if it's only 120 players per server (60 v 60) I think I'll hold off for the time being. Where does the 'work with hundreds of players to shape the outcome of a persistent online war' come into it if it's only you and 59 others working towards victory? If it was similar to EVE Online, all players on a single shard, then I'd be all over it.

Associate
Yeah the 60 v 60 thing irks me a bit, however it gets busy enough on screen so I think too many would take its toll.

My major gripes are:
1 - clunky controls and UI
2 - I know its early access, but it really feels early access. Lots of placeholder sounds, graphics could be sharper, the map is pretty dull and repetitive
3 - I dont get the RTS aspect, not that I dont understand it, but more that as a solo its not really part of it. I can imagine the big clans get more of it, but for me its like that alien game, where im running around shooting things with my line of sight :D
4 - slow paced, for 1 hour 45 minutes of my time I spent at a broken bridge doing very little in all honesty, if I pushed I died alone as everyone else seemed to be waiting for something.... in the end I flanked through the sea, killed 3 men before getting carved up at their gates by a bunker.

I want to love it, I hoped for it to be like a massive COH, but its not and maybe thats because I coming at it from the wrong angle.

Do i keep it for 12 quid? I think ill get value... but not for a while sadly.

Man of Honour
4 - slow paced, for 1 hour 45 minutes of my time I spent at a broken bridge doing very little in all honesty, if I pushed I died alone as everyone else seemed to be waiting for something.... in the end I flanked through the sea, killed 3 men before getting carved up at their gates by a bunker.

This point is what I meant in my earlier post about the userbase making or breaking the game. I was very lucky when I played yesterday, the server I joined had a guy (named Patro) who was organising everything, so there was always groups forming and being lead to objectives, orders being given etc. As an added bonus he even stayed in character in voice chat playing the part of grizzled war veteran, which all added to the fun. Thats the good userbase experience, however get a server where nobody is organising, voice chat and text chat is largely silent and everyone is just trying to play the game like an isometric counterstrike and you have a bad userbase experience. As I say, I think its a game that will succeed better as a niche title than a mainstream one as you'll get a better quality of game experience if the unwashed masses arent on it.

Soldato
This point is what I meant in my earlier post about the userbase making or breaking the game. I was very lucky when I played yesterday, the server I joined had a guy (named Patro) who was organising everything, so there was always groups forming and being lead to objectives, orders being given etc. As an added bonus he even stayed in character in voice chat playing the part of grizzled war veteran, which all added to the fun. Thats the good userbase experience, however get a server where nobody is organising, voice chat and text chat is largely silent and everyone is just trying to play the game like an isometric counterstrike and you have a bad userbase experience. As I say, I think its a game that will succeed better as a niche title than a mainstream one as you'll get a better quality of game experience if the unwashed masses arent on it.

Hmmm im really in two minds about this, one of the most annoying things I find in games like this is people playing characters, I know it's a normal person on the other end of the internet not a ww2 vet.

Really interested in this so might give it a go tonight and see what it's like

Associate
Well I tried it and although I think it's got great potential. It just felt very clunky and as it seems like there's so much interaction with the environment, that "clunkyness" took its toll for me. I'm going to refund for now but I'll keep an eye on it and hope it gets better.

Man of Honour
Hmmm im really in two minds about this, one of the most annoying things I find in games like this is people playing characters, I know it's a normal person on the other end of the internet not a ww2 vet.

Really interested in this so might give it a go tonight and see what it's like

He did it in a fun way, if you've ever seen the youtube videos of that guy who goes into games and records himself being in character (in an OTT way) and peoples reactions, its hilarious :)

Like this...this sort of in character, its utterly hilarious when you're playing alongside someone doing this :D , and its funny but when someone starts doing it others just join in, I find it makes for a far more memorable gaming experience than people running about in silence just saying GG. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Am loving it even more I play, I learned a lot last night, ranking system, Clans, Building, How best to destroy things.

The in game Voice chat is also Proximity so you can hear the enemy talking :D
Me and my mate decided we go beyond enemy line and we got quite far, found a base and the gate was locked! Started talking in game "saying why isn't this gate opening" Lool They end up opening the Gate and we ran in It was so bloody cool moment One of them had to be there moments.

Soldato
Refunded, this just isn't as fun to play as I was expecting. Didn't get the feel that I was achieving anything by taking part, whether collecting supplies or fighting. Hopefully it improves.

Associate
Actually enjoying it atm... probably as i was part of a huge front that was back and forth non stop. Did grunt work for a while, then played medic as we had a last stand at Hopes Causeway iirc, somehow fending off a tank and waves of men. I can see this being a game where if you are with a group of friends/regulars, that it would be amazing to play and a huge timesink.

Soldato
OP
Actually enjoying it atm... probably as i was part of a huge front that was back and forth non stop. Did grunt work for a while, then played medic as we had a last stand at Hopes Causeway iirc, somehow fending off a tank and waves of men. I can see this being a game where if you are with a group of friends/regulars, that it would be amazing to play and a huge timesink.

Yeah it defo does depend on the group of people and friends to make the game more enjoyable.

Soldato
I refunded, found it a bit boring tbh. In principal being a cog in a well oiled machine could be fun but it just felt like work. Using a hammer for 2 minutes to construct a heavy machine isn't particularly fun. The camera perspective feels clumsy as well and overall just didn't click. I'm sure there is a good game there but just isn't for me.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Bought this last night and played for about three hours, most of which was with a mate. It's good fun I find. Plays very similar to Running With Rifles with the added benefits of building capabilities. Its also a surprisingly good looking game. Definitely needs team coordination to make it enjoyable, running around on your own is never going to end well as you're severely limited in the equipment you can carry at any one time coupled with you being vulnerable whenever moving around. I look forward to spending some more time on it. Would definitely recommend connecting to the games discord channel too, makes communication a bit easier at times.

Don
I bought this yesterday too and played for around three hours as a group of 5. It was certainly entertaining and with a group that large you can co-ordinate better and build better stuff :D

Soldato
played some of this tonight. Very addictive. time just flies by lol.

I started by just getting resources and turning em into bmats and delivering to manufacturing plant at hq.

Then upgraded to taxi driver ferrying troops to and from hq to the frontline. Also did farming bmats with the truck.

unfortunately i managed to tk 3 ppl in the truck :( tried to be careful as well. Beeping the horn every so often. I was going too fast maybe.

Soldato
Apparently you have to be very careful about accidental team kills (even if they're not your fault) in this game, they can lead to your account being banned. Or have they changed the systems now?

Soldato
yeah ^^ i find the controls quite clunky. Its hard to hold down right mouse and shoot with left mouse...not sure what i will bind it to... im a southpaw so im using the numpad for movement and some commands.

Also i will need to read more tutorials as i tried to revive or treat a guy with a trauma kit and he said all i was doing was slowing the bleeding? i take it you need a medikit to treat wounds? how about bandages do they help? I just had bandages and trauma kit... i usually just put trauma kit in my hands and left click on them.

Back
Top Bottom