Fragmentation of streaming services - can they survive

Associate
Had an email today from Netflix saying that their sub price is going up to £10.99 on 28th May, dont know if thats old news but its the first I saw of it
I received it as well, i had the premium £13.99 a month for 4k and 4 simultaneous devices option.
I dropped it to the £10.99 option for 1080p and 2 simultaneous devices.

The mother in law might have to watch normal tv if me and the OH are watching different things at the same time.
Or she can pay for her own:D

Associate
I received it as well, i had the premium £13.99 a month for 4k and 4 simultaneous devices option.
I dropped it to the £10.99 option for 1080p and 2 simultaneous devices.

The mother in law might have to watch normal tv if me and the OH are watching different things at the same time.
Or she can pay for her own:D
4K is 10 years old now and should be standard, charging £16/month for it is really appalling. I get it for around £4.70 a month using the Turkey VPN trick, if I couldn't get it for a reasonable price I'd just cancel it rather than downgrading to 1080p.

Soldato
Agreed.
I find amazon is decent for higher value items but not for cheap items.

A 5m usb cable? EBay or Aliexpress
A robot vacuum? Amazon Black Friday.

I tried a free trial of prime + prime video. Didn't like prime video. Didn't need prime delivery.

I'm the same.

I don't feel prime is worth it because eBay is better for lower value items, anything under £20 tends to be cheaper and includes postage.

I think there is a bit of snobbery around eBay or people think it's hassle, but I've been buying stuff off eBay for years and years, had very few issues at all, and the few I've had got sorted out very quickly.

Whilst Amazon I've had more problems and not as easy to sort out.

Yes I wouldn't buy something like a mobile phone from eBay.

I don't order much from Amazon anyway, I think it's a greasy company.

Man of Honour
4K is 10 years old now and should be standard,

Hah - lots of content isn't in 4K and limited device support makes 4K pretty much useless in a lot of cases - I work nights a lot and tend to watch content from my PC with headphones either on my PC monitor or a 43" 4K display connected to it... no 4K for me on a lot of these streaming services. It is pitiful in this day and age.

I don't even buy the piracy reason - I've a fully HDCP compatible capture device which can scrape a 4K stream off any of the devices like the Amazon Fire devices, etc. with minimal quality loss... that ship long ago sailed.

Associate
Hah - lots of content isn't in 4K and limited device support makes 4K pretty much useless in a lot of cases - I work nights a lot and tend to watch content from my PC with headphones either on my PC monitor or a 43" 4K display connected to it... no 4K for me on a lot of these streaming services. It is pitiful in this day and age.

I don't even buy the piracy reason - I've a fully HDCP compatible capture device which can scrape a 4K stream off any of the devices like the Amazon Fire devices, etc. with minimal quality loss... that ship long ago sailed.
Yeah it is ridiculous that most of them don't work on PC at 4K, Netflix does though so that's one thing it got right.

Caporegime
OP
Netflix expired yesterday and now have this 6 month period of D+ using tesco vouchers

Have to say after a week I'm already struggling and thinking of going back to netflix in a month or so.

Tried that Wandavision last night and I just don't get it.

There's a bit of content on there but after the disappointment of prime and now this.. I'm concerned with the impact on netflix from loss of subscribers TV in general is going to decline.

Netflix kept me going for 3-4 years and I always had something to watch. The other services feel like barren wastlands.

Soldato
Tried that Wandavision last night and I just don't get it.

Stick out WV until episode 4, comes into it's own a bit but still suffers a generic marvel ending sadly. It's a unique premise that's poorly realised.

I haven't been impressed with any of the Marvel series and i'm really struggling to get through Boba Fett at the moment, it's so utterly bland.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Stick out WV until episode 4, comes into it's own a bit but still suffers a generic marvel ending sadly. It's a unique premise that's poorly realised.

I haven't been impressed with any of the Marvel series and i'm really struggling to get through Boba Fett at the moment, it's so utterly bland.

Yeah I loved the early marvel films, as time has gone on and series after series has been released nothing has really grabbed me. I'll stick out a few more episodes. Not sure if gf likes it. It's so american, and I get it's trying to show the cliche side (feels like that anyway) but it doesn't grab me.

Soldato
I'll stick out a few more episodes. Not sure if gf likes it. It's so american, and I get it's trying to show the cliche side (feels like that anyway) but it doesn't grab me.

There's definitely a moment where you go 'oh, that's why' with regards the time period shifts in the episodes and it clicks, it's an overall ok 1 and done series, ignoring the final episode.

Soldato
After press comments today on D+ winning market share netflix need a change in marketting plan with some similar offers to mop up the undecided,
if like D+ you've locked someone in for several months at a reduced price, that can be better than a monthly netflix decision did we really watch enough to justify next month,

Nowtv has the same approach 3 months at £1/month - If I gave them £3 for just a month I'd probably watch the same number of hours, and if I'm locked in, too, I wouldn't be buying another product in the meantime.

Soldato
:) It's a Rickyism.

https://trailerpark.fandom.com/wiki/Rickyisms

Actually I think I made that one up but you get the gist.

Split it 50/50/50
Catch 23 situation
Burn the hatchet at both ends
Sold you under the bus

You get the drift, by the way if you have not seen Trailer Park Boys it's a must, aside from the last few series where Netflix took over wasn't as good.

Big TTPB fan here, I approve.

Soldato
Netflix has been cancelled, had a chat with the missus and we both agreed, we generally watch it as it's there, not because we want it for shows. The main reason we kept it was having an easy source of entertainment for our son but we've gently shepherded him more to D+ in recent months and hardly uses it either. We'll dip back in no doubt but as a recurring monthly sub, it's absolutely not worth the money, the quality in general is quite average.

Soldato
I'm a total sports whore so Sky Sports + BT Sport is my monthly expenditure. Sky also have HBO on Sky Atlantic which gives all the quality TV I need.

I did an Apple TV free trial and watched everything on there. I'll do another month in winter when Foundation and more Ted Lasso appears.

Outside sport though, I only watch a couple of hours TV a week, so a bit of an outlier it seems

Soldato
Netflix has been cancelled, had a chat with the missus and we both agreed, we generally watch it as it's there, not because we want it for shows. The main reason we kept it was having an easy source of entertainment for our son but we've gently shepherded him more to D+ in recent months and hardly uses it either. We'll dip back in no doubt but as a recurring monthly sub, it's absolutely not worth the money, the quality in general is quite average.

"Come back for just £6.99" :D, expect to receive plenty of these emails, since cancelling I get one email a week to rejoin. I cancelled the 4k package about 2 months ago.

Soldato

I cancelled when I got the email about Junes price hike. Like you I realised I watch it cause I have it. I’m not paying even more because they’re bleeding subs. Not sure why they thought that’d be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom