Frenchman kills three of his Somali captors and escapes!

Man of Honour
I think you haven't really taken my comments in the spirit they were intended. No need to be so defensive, and you can't post what you did and not expect someone to press you for more detail.

Of course I can post what I did without "proving" it. But I did to satisfy your curiosity :) I hope you feel that my opinion and experience validates my comments. :)

Soldato
The English - French thing has been going on for ages.

Any time we say something about them being weak or cowards it's just a joke, we laugh then they laugh then we stop laughing and they run away.

Man of Honour
what :/

I think it mostly comes from their surrender in ww2.

and French british joking/arguing is tradition.

They didn't "surrender" in WW2 - the border is so big to the East of France that they were getting masacred and had suffered substantially in the WW1 and were still licking their wounds by the time WW2 eruprted - thus they had no choice but to accept the occupation of the Nazis which IMO is worse that being anihilated, and even more demeaning than losing a war. People had to dig so deep to accept it, and "look after" the Germans, and accept the fact that homes were looted, women raped, people beaten up, the whole of France was just being taken for a ride and whilst the Germans did "behave" i.e. paid their way, and were relatively civil to the pesants, that's such a thin slice of the attrocities that went on during the occupation. I shan't go on on this as I will start getting rather upset.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
I have absolutely no need to justify or explain myself to you, however I shall give a very precis'ed account of my first hand knowledge.

I did my military service in France (I had to do it), and was able to spend time with the special forces as part of the training, furthermore I have had the privilege to meet several SAS soldiers at the time who came to do some training exercises as part of a NATO operation at the time - right place right time I guess. I also spent time in the middle east speaking to numerous members of different military forces who had some remarkable stories of both the British and French special forces.

I won't go into any more detail.

I didnt know the french use conscription:eek:

Is this why you are a pacifist if you dont mind me asking?

Soldato
what :/

I think it mostly comes from their surrender in ww2.

and French british joking/arguing is tradition.

Maybe so, they had been decimated from their huge losses in WW1 and add to that some bad General's, it wasn't going to turn out well...

But seriously, a torrent of anti-French filth spewed out from the US due to France, NATO and not helping in Iraq. I just find it annoying to see intelligent people perpetuating it.

Again, apologies for being so touchy!

Man of Honour
I didnt know the french use conscription:eek:

Is this why you are a pacifist if you dont mind me asking?

They stopped doing it for people born 2 months after my b'day! I was one of the last! :(

I am a pacifist, but I have to say the discipline and skills you are taught are second to none. The military lifestyle (for an officer at any rate) is really rather good - but I couldn't cope with fighting battles I didn't believe in.

I'd do it again though, I loved it. :)

Soldato
The 'French coward stuff' came into play mainly thanks to the US when the French were not stupid enough to get involved in Iraq... Their reaction all the way from news media down to general public was diabolical and shameful.

I'll have to apologize, but having a French friend who's been at the 'cutting edge' of american anti-French antics (during that time), I'm rather touchy about it. He was even thrown out of a restaurant in San Diego when they realised he had a French accent! Pathetic!

Again, apololgies for being so touchy on the matter!

WHAT? don't be stupid, we brits have had a monopoly on anti-frenchism since the 100 year war and before, and if it had escaped your attention America hadn't even been colonised/discovered (by the civilized world) at that point. thankyou and goodbye, your coat is on the hook, please don't forget it.

Associate
We're going to play this game are we? ;)

I have been inside 22 SAS at Hereford, visited D Sqn offices, sat in their interest room (where they have a very nice stained glass window commerating Brad Tinion), been to their training facility (where they have all the buildings they do FIBUA training, and the aircraft body they have for rapid entry training).

I have even watched them train :)

It's funny, because they have such an air of mystisim around them, but they are really just a super highly trained infantry unit with tons of quality kit. You could pass them in the street and not know it.

They are great at what they do because they train day in, day out.

Your turn :)

Let me guess...you were a cab driver in Hereford and you were on a pickup?

Associate
A friends brother was in the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment of the French Foreign Legion and if they are all like him then i wouldn't like to take them on...he is retired now but is the most nailz bloke i know!

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I met a few Dudes from the Legion De Estrange when i went to the Forte de Nugont (sp?) Nailz is definately an adequate description. Blokes I met were as hard as the fortes walls.
I like the French though so get on well over there, Show a little bit of humility & they are Wonderful hosts.

Associate
We're going to play this game are we? ;)

I have been inside 22 SAS at Hereford, visited D Sqn offices, sat in their interest room (where they have a very nice stained glass window commerating Brad Tinion), been to their training facility (where they have all the buildings they do FIBUA training, and the aircraft body they have for rapid entry training).

I have even watched them train :)

It's funny, because they have such an air of mystisim around them, but they are really just a super highly trained infantry unit with tons of quality kit. You could pass them in the street and not know it.

They are great at what they do because they train day in, day out.

Your turn :)

Prove it. What colour was the boathouse at hereford.... :D

Back
Top Bottom