fried system !!!!!!!!

Man of Honour
I think it's pretty simple to diagnose a problem with a computer (hardware wise) with so much being documented on the Internet..

I had a problem with my latest build where the system suddenly started to BSOD anywhere from 5 seconds to an hour after booting into windows.

The cause was a very obscure bug in the motherboard firmware where the VTT and IMC voltages would randomly drop very briefly to their default values instead of the BIOS set values which if it wasn't enough to drive the memory controller/RAM resulted in a BSOD.

I can tell you even with the internet to hand that was a pretty complex problem to diagnose, narrow down and find working settings - fortunatly it only happens on less frequently used memory "straps" (assumings X79 still uses some kind of straps as it seems to be limited to affecting bands of memory frequencies and going above or below affected bands results in no problem).

Associate
Dervious by reading all your posts in this thread you are a very negative person, back on topic hardware can fail at any time, does not matter how much you paid for it the OP was damn right rude demading OCUK to replace his system and blaming them for the issue, not even an apology from the service OCUK provided him. Some people are a disgrace and deserved what happened to him.

Associate
Dervious by reading all your posts in this thread you are a very negative person, back on topic hardware can fail at any time, does not matter how much you paid for it the OP was damn right rude demading OCUK to replace his system and blaming them for the issue, not even an apology from the service OCUK provided him. Some people are a disgrace and deserved what happened to him.

Thanks for your opinion.

I happen to be quite a positive person. And I'm postive that I had a rather awkward fault with my graphics card, and positive that the sale of good act can be sometimes be used to get faulty items repaired, even when out of the standard warranty period.

I'm also positve that the OP was rude in his opening thread comments, and it appears that he was lucky to get any offer of help from OCUK (who did act appropriately).

Soldato
I have been on watercooling on three PCs for years now and not once have i connected my pump to my CPU fan header. There are disadvantages to doing this in watercooling and have seen threads on cheap motherboards ruined due to a number of fans and pumps pulling too much power through headers. Also, i don't see how that is related to the GPU fault at all.

Though i can agree that depending on the problem, diagnostics could be tedious, long winded and time consuming, the problem gritts had could have been found out by Sillicon, if they had just swapped the card out or switched to onboard.

I know i am not adding much input as its all stuff that has been mentioned one way or another but after reading every post in this thread, i felt that i needed to comment lol

Associate
I have been on watercooling on three PCs for years now and not once have i connected my pump to my CPU fan header.

Though i can agree that depending on the problem, diagnostics could be tedious, long winded and time consuming, the problem gritts had could have been found out by Sillicon, if they had just swapped the card out or switched to onboard.

I`ve never watercooled a system, and rarely build systems that require loads of extra fans. However, it makes sense to connect a fan or pump directly to a PSU connector, rather than a motherboard header, unless fan speed control is required. Even so, it's common sense to check the current capacity of a header before attaching anthing to it. I must admit, if I attach a case fan to a header I don't bother checking. A watercooling pump (or even a large fan) is likely to draw more current than a normal fan, so connecting to a motherboard header would be unwise.

It suprising that a "professional" outfit such as the one gritts used can fail to diagnose a problem correctly, when plenty of us "amateurs" seem to have the issue diagnosed more accurately just from a photo and descriptions. Maybe they were just trying to put down a competitor, or are just simply incompetent.

Soldato
I`ve never watercooled a system, and rarely build systems that require loads of extra fans. However, it makes sense to connect a fan or pump directly to a PSU connector, rather than a motherboard header, unless fan speed control is required. Even so, it's common sense to check the current capacity of a header before attaching anthing to it. I must admit, if I attach a case fan to a header I don't bother checking. A watercooling pump (or even a large fan) is likely to draw more current than a normal fan, so connecting to a motherboard header would be unwise.

To be honest, you can connect the pump to the motherboard in the vast majority of cases but it does make it susceptable to a few things like speed changing. Pumps have a minimum power like fans, which they can operate, however most pumps require significantly more than fans. I wouldnt want cool and quiet mode to be switching off my pump when my PC idles. It doesnt really happen outside overclocking applications and such, where their temp readings are different or when the temp sensors are faulty. Either way, id still rather connect direct to PSU or to a suitable fan controller. My pumps are rated 18w each and can easily eat some of the rated at 5/10w channel controllers which are available.

Was surprised at Silicons ignorance myself but am not saying that it wont work from the motherboard, just that there are better ways to connect a pump (off topic though).

I think gritt thought that everyone replying was OCuk staff due to the fixed avatars and thought it was just OCuk vs Silicon rather than a number of non OCuk representatives trying to help and advise him. So he probably discounted both the goodwill of the people who replied to him, as wellas the goodwill of OCuk in replacing his parts and diagnosing the problem (though they were not required to). He probably discounted them as OCuk defending OCuk reputation.

Some people are not willing to receive advice and help, these are often the ones which struggle to get anything done about the situation, as they are just left on their own asking why and blaming who. If OP was willing to remove the GPU, he would have found the problem straight away and would have known that Silicons diagnosis was unrelated to it. He would have also been able to use the PC during all his downtime, on his onboard GPU.

*edit* Since i mentioned avatars i might aswell make my christmas present request from OCuk :). Any chance that we can get alternative humerus British gangster equivalents like from Guy Ritchie films and stuff? :D

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for your opinion.

I happen to be quite a positive person. And I'm postive that I had a rather awkward fault with my graphics card, and positive that the sale of good act can be sometimes be used to get faulty items repaired, even when out of the standard warranty period.

I'm also positve that the OP was rude in his opening thread comments, and it appears that he was lucky to get any offer of help from OCUK (who did act appropriately).

If you're a positive person than stop typing negative statements in your posts, your previous posts was all about "you" and you getting your opinion accross at all times. It was as you were defending the OP's judgement and attitude when infact he was totally out of line to speak the way he did to people trying to help him.

Associate
If you're a positive person than stop typing negative statements in your posts, your previous posts was all about "you" and you getting your opinion accross at all times. It was as you were defending the OP's judgement and attitude when infact he was totally out of line to speak the way he did to people trying to help him.

Thanks for your advice.

I was not defending the OP, and I`ve stated more than once that I thought the OP was rude and went about this matter in completely the wrong way.

The posts about "me" were posts about an experience I had with a graphics card. They were in reponse to a claim that PC fault diagnosis is simple these days. It proves that this isn't always the case, and it might be helpful to someone who is considering if they should build their own system, or buy a pre-built one.

I'm sorry if it seemed a little "off topic", but the thread was full of very similar comments about the OP and his issue. I think everyone agrees that gritts and the shop he took his faulty PC to were out of order, and that OCUK did the right thing. Yes, I have made comments about the sale of goods act, and my understanding of what it means for consumers. I think it could have been used in this case. I don't think that's negative, I think it's a positive thing to discuss, and an interesting subject to debate.

Soldato
psu was supplied and been replaced and overclockers said it was faulty???? system is still the same no power !!!!!! so dont be quick to call silicon liars m8

ok will do it now,remember this is what ive been told by silicon centre its not me saying it,its what ive been told

You seem very protective towards these guys yet cover yourself by saying "Hey, it is just what ive been told".

Include an image showing a problem or show us the report at least.

That pic you sent is as useful as a fish in a condom.

Soldato
Guys, gritts hasn't been active since November, when he initially had the rant. He's got the result he wanted and doesn't care about the trail he's left.

I'm with some of the above. Close the thread, delete gritts as a forum member and let's move on :)

Associate
Guys, gritts hasn't been active since November, when he initially had the rant. He's got the result he wanted and doesn't care about the trail he's left.

I'm with some of the above. Close the thread, delete gritts as a forum member and let's move on :)

Couldn't agree more, however, the problem as I see it (this is just my opinion btw) is that OcUK should NEVER have gone above and beyond and helped this guy to begin with.

There is a chance he never even set foot in Silicon Edinburgh to begin with. I'm basing that on the letter; it makes no sense! How could a technician come to that conclusion in the first place?! I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he came up with that letter himself.

Or maybe I'm just overestimating Silicon Edinburgh?

Either way, from the letter, OcUK must have realised they weren't at fault, at which point I'd have said thanks but no thanks. Even through their good will he still put further blame on them. This tells me he knew exactly what he was doing.

Soldato
Couldn't agree more, however, the problem as I see it (this is just my opinion btw) is that OcUK should NEVER have gone above and beyond and helped this guy to begin with.

There is a chance he never even set foot in Silicon Edinburgh to begin with. I'm basing that on the letter; it makes no sense! How could a technician come to that conclusion in the first place?! I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he came up with that letter himself.

Or maybe I'm just overestimating Silicon Edinburgh?

Either way, from the letter, OcUK must have realised they weren't at fault, at which point I'd have said thanks but no thanks. Even through their good will he still put further blame on them. This tells me he knew exactly what he was doing.

you are overestimating them.
They don't even have a receipt printer, they print it out on A4...
they sell 'web browsing' PC's for 40 quid which break and need a new one every 6 months.
they. are. balls.

Associate
you are overestimating them.
They don't even have a receipt printer, they print it out on A4...
they sell 'web browsing' PC's for 40 quid which break and need a new one every 6 months.
they. are. balls.

Hey I bought a HDMI cable from them for £7 as the need was urgent.. 3 pounds less than map*** opposite to them.

However, from looking at their website I would never buy anything else from them, nor advice anyone to take their PC in there for any "Service". The PC's they advertise do seem balls :D

Back
Top Bottom