Friend looking an SEO person/company - any recommendations?

Associate
Hey folks,

I know SEO is half common sense and half black magic so was wondering if anyone could recommend a place or person who could help a friend out with their new website as it seems to have been designed without much SEO thought (not even simple meta tags in there).

Many thanks,

Rik

Good web design and SEO go hand in hand.

If your web site is well designed to standards and is relevant to a topic searched, then you should be okay.

There have been previous posts on the subject.

Also go to Google's 'webmaster tools' for more.

Hi guys,

top: I was more looking for recommendations from folks instead of who's managing to game Google this week :D

blue: Having the best designed site in the world doesnt help you get noticed so thats where they are needing the help. Link building, social media interaction and other off page SEO mainly.

blue: Having the best designed site in the world doesnt help you get noticed so thats where they are needing the help. Link building, social media interaction and other off page SEO mainly.

High profile advertising gets you noticed.

SEO is based on what people type into search engines. With out being pedantic, if I sold bananas in Swindon, my website was www.bananasinswindon.co.uk and I had relevant content; then when people typed 'bananas in Swindon' into Google, I'm likely to come out on top.

If you're starting an 'IT Consultancy' firm in London then you're better off buying sponsored links.

There's a lot you could do yourself.

Make sure there is great content on the site that is actually useful to people and they want to read.

Give something useful away for free on the site, e.g. explanatory pdf, i.e. link bait.

Use social media like Facebook and Twitter to generate interest for the site. Look into social media marketing techniques.

Rgds

I have no idea, Im not involved in it myself, he just asked me if I could point him in the right direction. But he will be battling against all other car finance firms around online like carloans4u and all the other stuff that has Google juice.

carloans4u have a sponsored link.
They also have 'car loan' in their URL name with the word relevantly sprinkled around the site.
They are recommended on a rated review site.
They appear as a link in several other higher profile websites.
They have a twitter account of the same name.

Go back to Swindon example. Type 'car loan Swindon' and the result set changes, making it look like an easier target.

What would this person want to type into Google to be at the top.?

I have a website which is idle since 2008. No updates, no new text, no changes. Content is mostly walls of text. With questionable grammar and spelling inconsistencies. It used to contain adds. Entire site is in basic HTML 3 with loads of W3C errors and no optimizations of any kind. Literally none. Not a single modern metatag. Not even a description. No live links to it. No surviving aggregators. No mentions. No social media. It violates every rule in a book, including the fact the same content is visible under several domain names without 302 redirection.

It was on top of search for its keywords within weeks from launch back then and stayed on top regardless of modern, optimized "competition". None of my todays modular CMS driven sites with SEO plugins come even close to achieving that. I'm beginning to think less is more.

blue: Yeah I spotted all that kind of stuff you mention but I dont want to be the middle man or semi-SEO person for my friend as he wants to just pay someone to take care of business including all the stuff you mention. Working with friends can be tricky and I cant devote time to do this even if I wanted to.

von: But is your site a super generic well searched for term such as car finance or something more obscure like welsh underwater polo :D

Back
Top Bottom