Front Garden Rebuild

Soldato
Now i dont normally do these type of threads, but having seen some build projects here….. then i know im in good company with all the other DIY ameteurs……

The garden started with what i call a disaster, as ive been concentrating on the back garden oasis……

The start

After a few hours

A few days later

And now last week

And where we are today

Last edited:
Will update the thread as i go along. Did more work today taking down the small wall by the front door and measuring up for the sleepers, to get all the levels up.

Plan is for a flat lawn, rose bush in the middle…to put my dogs ashes to rest. Gravel grids and slabs for the paths.

So i have now topped off the fence with 8x2 on the left and 9x2 on the front fence and today i also built the right side of the fence and the gate…

Next job is to fence down the back of the bins, again double sided and agreement with the neighbours too….

Will then build the levels up with sleepers and hardcore, before adding the gravel grids for the path.

Last edited:
Put the sleepers down in the area where i want them, so i can dig the footings. Ive move one 400mm from the original place as to make room for a wider path and with the hardcore and gravel grids. I can make a drive for a possible EV in the future.

So the garden area will be 7.2mtrs x 2.5mtrs……..with room now for a 2.2mtr x 4.4mtr hardstanding/drive.

Last edited:
Making some good progress there.

One thing I take from your first images is the green carpet and that it's not the maintenance free option they try to sell it as. I bet you're glad that it's gone!
Yup it was ripped up and sent to the recycling centre earlier today. We put it down when we first moved in as a quick, convenient option. It lasted 10yrs lol…..will be a nice flat lawn there now.

Busy one today, got two bags of hardcore down and got the levels up to nearly where i want it. Tomorrow i got another bag of hardcore coming and then two bags of stone dust to help pack it all down and get it level….

All sleepers are now in place and secured together….. got two days of work in front of me and then taking the weekend off, before starting on the side fence in the evenings next week.

More photos tomorrow.

Your fencing is tidier than the bougies round here pay thousands for - and I know its not an easy job having done some myself last year.
Its been a hard job, as ive been doing it all solo.. but to me credit i was only 1/16th of an inch out over the entire 9mtr stretch. Still got the inside to do, but im proud of my work so far. Not bad for a data analyst

Looking really good and tidy.

One question though and not a dig: Is there a reason you came off the downpipe as a centre for the fence (appears that way in the photo) and not between the properties, which is usually give or take, the centre line. Will this cause issues if you need to replace the downpipe?
There was concrete posts already in the ground from the old fence that i couldnt remove and was centred between the two buildings. If i need to remove the pipe i can just unscrew one panel and then theres around 6/8” before the first post. Plenty of room.

Timber looks very sturdy
nice to see good thick timber used these days
minor nitpick bracing on the gate `should` go UP from the hanging side :)
The gate is only temporary to keep the dogs secure inside while i do the rest of the work. New gate will be built when all finished. But thanks for the tip, much appreciated

Desk worker fencing crew unite :D I'm an IT Consultant,

For future concrete stuck in the ground incidents, get yourself a "Ground Breaking Bar"/"Post Hole Digging Bar w/ Chisel End" - 5ft of heavy iron bar with a chisel on the end, you can throw it down pretty hard to break up stuff in the ground - I removed 8 concrete chunks where postcrete had been used in a couple of day single handedly - just make sure to wear gloves or you will blister.
I just used the concrete posts to secure my timber posts as they were pretty secure and straight. Use long structural screws through the holes for the fence wire and straight into my timbers. I know it aint going to blow over in the wind thats for sure lol

All levelled out now and all tamped down firm with a hand tamper. Decided against gravel grids and stone now and going with a resin bound gravel pathway. So no updates for a few weeks as im skint and need to get the Benjamin's together for the resin kits and to hire the mixer…..

To be comtinued…..unless i get the side fence done in the meantime

Also a new update, we are back to gravel grids and slate now. as the resin bound path needed a lot of drying time and we would have been stuck in the house for 48/72hrs and i got 2 dogs that need walking lol

Back
Top Bottom