Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Zen aren't that big though, which is part of their appeal. Flip side of that is that they don't have the raw capacity that some of the lesser-rated ISPs like BT, TalkTalk etc. do.

If they promised you a throughput figure 24x7 then they lied to you - it's a contended broadband service and they aren't in a position to make those sorts of guarantees. I do agree you should see more than 1/3rd of the provisioned performance.
Exactly why i see ISPs such as Zen to be a nonsense. Bandwidth via products such as this is just a commodity these days and i view that all you pay for is the perceived customer service. It is why my outgoing FTTC line has been with TalkTalk for years and years. It has been utterly faultless the entire time, 80/20 single threaded 24/7.

In this case though, something is wrong - Housey is right to be annoyed.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Exactly why i see ISPs such as Zen to be a nonsense. Bandwidth via products such as this is just a commodity these days and i view that all you pay for is the perceived customer service. It is why my outgoing FTTC line has been with TalkTalk for years and years. It has been utterly faultless the entire time, 80/20 single threaded 24/7.
I love me some Zen. Thank goodness for choice and personal preference.

Man of Honour
OP
Still ongoing but been a busy week so only got to test the new user details they set up, which hasn't fixed it. Now Zen FINALL have to go into their deep network because it's borked. Neighbour getting 310 31 on his BT 100 meters away.

Caporegime
Still ongoing but been a busy week so only got to test the new user details they set up, which hasn't fixed it. Now Zen FINALL have to go into their deep network because it's borked. Neighbour getting 310 31 on his BT 100 meters away.
I'm not 100% sure how FTTP works but if it's similar to FTTC and on the Openreach network then Zen won't get involved until the data hits the exchange. I'm not so sure it is a Zen Network issue. Does the Router report a trained in speed?

Caporegime
Zen (probably) don't get involved until it hits their core as they don't have cable links in every exchange they operate out of. They take service from TTB or BTW, and they've been accused of letting these get congested. It could also be a continued inability to set the service up properly on whatever Zen terminate their PPPoE sessions on - though if the speed works fine at 3am then this is unlikely.

A Wholesale speed test has already been done and returned good results, I can't see this being anything other than a Zen issue - probably buying time while they juggle their backhaul providers around.

Caporegime
Zen (probably) don't get involved until it hits their core as they don't have cable links in every exchange they operate out of. They take service from TTB or BTW, and they've been accused of letting these get congested. It could also be a continued inability to set the service up properly on whatever Zen terminate their PPPoE sessions on - though if the speed works fine at 3am then this is unlikely.

A Wholesale speed test has already been done and returned good results, I can't see this being anything other than a Zen issue - probably buying time while they juggle their backhaul providers around.

If Zen are trying to run all their customers, even the FTTP ones on a 1Gig Cablelink then they're beyond incompetent. Openreach recently reduced the price of a 10Gig Cablelink to around double the price of the 1Gig one. I'm not sure of the lead times on Openreach upgrades though!

Soldato
If Zen are trying to run all their customers, even the FTTP ones on a 1Gig Cablelink then they're beyond incompetent. Openreach recently reduced the price of a 10Gig Cablelink to around double the price of the 1Gig one. I'm not sure of the lead times on Openreach upgrades though!

Been happy with Zen here on FTTP, but if they let their service slip, as above by not upgrading network it’ll be an easy decision to move. They aren’t cheap!

Man of Honour
OP
It’s a zen issue we have removed bt and my house and kit from the debate via testing. Zen know it’s their issue.

Associate
I have just ordered FTTP with Zen as it just went live in my area. I have been with them on ADSL for about 10 years. Have hit a bit of a snag with an exception on the order with their supplier (Openreach I assume). Has been stalled for 11 days now. Just hoping the Zen premium justified and this gets sorted out.

Soldato
I have just ordered FTTP with Zen as it just went live in my area. I have been with them on ADSL for about 10 years. Have hit a bit of a snag with an exception on the order with their supplier (Openreach I assume). Has been stalled for 11 days now. Just hoping the Zen premium justified and this gets sorted out.

What information did you get about the snag? I got an update when mine was in progress saying

I have reviewed your order today, they have advised that the order is awaiting an Openreach network Build activity.

But it went through fine after OR finished up whatever they needed to do on the local cabling.

Associate
Only getting updates using either using the web chat or phoning the provisioning team. The order status says waiting for KCI-2. Have been told there is an exception but no other info on what it actually is.

Associate
I wouldn't mind it if I could get it, I'd stick with BT although I doubt there would be that much point, currently syncing at 75/20 so given that it's only rare I utilise the full 9MB/Sec the price would be the deciding factor. I'm sure the USG would be more than capable of managing 300Mb/Sec.

Soldato
I wouldn't mind it if I could get it, I'd stick with BT although I doubt there would be that much point, currently syncing at 75/20 so given that it's only rare I utilise the full 9MB/Sec the price would be the deciding factor. I'm sure the USG would be more than capable of managing 300Mb/Sec.

Doubtful if it's a USG3 and you want to use anything more than DPI.

Soldato
There's got to be a new USG out soon based on the ER-4 hardware

My everything is crossed. A decent USG based off of the ER4 that can DPI, SQM & IPS that can router Gb would clean the market up. They've gone all out on the ER4 destroying the previous range of ER's so hopefully same approach on USG's. I have noticed USG4's are out of stock on UBNT site and the bigger resellers were selling them cheaper last week.

Caporegime
The £500 box is a pretty crowded market though - Fortinet have some great options in that space and they're ridiculously quick as well.

Man of Honour
OP
So I am still in the diagnosis zone and making zero obvious progress. The challenge is I have been busy and away from home so unable to undertake tests requested but long story short Zen have still not sourced the route cause of my issues and they remain. I am told there is zero contention on my circuit, I should not see any slow down at any time, which is what I was told. But I am and something in the Zen network is not working.

Having worked in the tech industry my entire life, we are now in the serious techs are serious not wanting to lift a finger until the less serious techs can prove it's their problem, so more tests whilst they forget who their customer is (serious techs). I will give them to the middle of next week at which point I will draw a line under it and move away from them. I have given them enough time to resolve this by then, I am tired of testing each little thing and frankly if it is one of those issues that is just hard to locate I will not hang about to be their diagnosis monkey when I have seen BT can deliver the speeds to my home, I will move.

I hope Zen can sort it out but right now I am not sure they have a clue where to look. I have also said I don't want another BT visit unless its accompanied by a Zen tech too. Then I will lock them in until they fix it.

Caporegime
If it's quick at ~3am then it's contention.

If you have your PPPoE username/password and a few minutes to kill then just plug your laptop straight into the Openreach ONT and dial a connection, see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom