Fuel additives

Caporegime
Soldato
Fuel doesn't hit deposits on the intake system, not a chance it will touch it. People fanny around with Seafoam but I'm unconvinced that does anything but make a pretty smoke show.

Walnut blasting the intake valves directly is the only thing that actually works. Ask RS6 owners.

https://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=104824&sid=55b050fe5fa45430d7149a721c7c904e

This. Cars with FSI and others where fuel goes directly into the combustion chamber will always be more prone to carbon build up on the back of the valves and the only way to get that off the back of the valves is a physical clean of them. The fuel additive may be useful for the injectors though.

Soldato
This. Cars with FSI and others where fuel goes directly into the combustion chamber will always be more prone to carbon build up on the back of the valves and the only way to get that off the back of the valves is a physical clean of them. The fuel additive may be useful for the injectors though.

Yep. Nothing you add will clean the back of the valves (because it will never come in to contact with it) and that is eventually what causes issues. Some manufacturers went back to also having port injection to prevent it.

Last edited:
Associate
I use a couple of bottles of reddex then hit the motorway, once im warmed up i change to the wrong gear and push up the revs to increase heat. I was told it needed heat to clean the bits and pieces...so i'm either cleaning it a bit or being misled and making a lot of noise for no reason.
The good old itlalian tune up.
But the smart being a 3 pot it’s always going to feel like it’s missing......because it’s missing a cylinder

Soldato
Yea 3 cylinder engine will generally put out more torque then it's 4 cylinder counter part of equal displacement.

Note I said "generally" I don't know specifically for this vehicle. :)

Associate
paint thinners is like rocket fuel :p.
Distill your own whiskey
Yea 3 cylinder engine will generally put out more torque then it's 4 cylinder counter part of equal displacement.

Note I said "generally" I don't know specifically for this vehicle. :)
it shouldn’t do it has a big heavy flywheel to try and dampen the vibrations

Soldato
Distill your own whiskey

it shouldn’t do it has a big heavy flywheel to try and dampen the vibrations

You can dampen it but it's still out of balance compared to an even cylinder count and does not have the advantage of 5 which can manipulate the firing order to help.

Back
Top Bottom