Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

No, because so many people haven't got a clue between duty and VAT, so worth clarifying as VAT would have been a % reduction not a fixed amount in pence. Technically there was 1p reduction in VAT amount, due to the VAT on the duty though.

Maybe they will pull there fingers out of their ears and offer a 5% reduction in VAT soon, hopefully.
But I understood what you meant when you said they instead of their.

The ire directed towards the government would be just if the increase in costs were down to increased duty and VAT, but they're not. Sure the government are indirectly benefiting from VAT due to it being a % of base price, and whilst there is an argument they could could cut duty and/or VAT to net out at same absolute income per litre, this would be a short term band aid on the issue.

I think the finger should be pointed at a legalised cartel known as OPEC...

The government are allowing rampant profiteering. They can stop it.

The ire directed towards the government would be just if the increase in costs were down to increased duty and VAT, but they're not. Sure the government are indirectly benefiting from VAT due to it being a % of base price, and whilst there is an argument they could could cut duty and/or VAT to net out at same absolute income per litre, this would be a short term band aid on the issue.

We point it at the government and they can point where they need too. We should all be supporting any action that puts pressure on those able to make the necessary changes. Those that won’t will happily benefit from any potential reduction that may result.

The government are allowing rampant profiteering. They can stop it.

Actually, they can't - as proven by the fact the previous reduction in duty wasn't 'passed on'.

I'm confident private companies can choose to make whatever margin they see fit, unless that margin is from anti-competitive measures such as price fixing through being in cahoots with each other.

Actually, they can't - as proven by the fact the previous reduction in duty wasn't 'passed on'.

I'm confident private companies can choose to make whatever margin they see fit, unless that margin is from anti-competitive measures such as price fixing through being in cahoots with each other.
They can, they just won't. They can enact laws, bring in regulation. They can even seize assets.

They won't though because too many ministers and their chums will be profiting from this.

The visibility of the reduction was almost nil due to the increasing oil prices and the stronger $. So both of them wiped the 5/6p saving out in less than 3 days. Most people wouldn't/didn't notice as what are the chances of them using the places within 3 days? So when they turned up to higher prices they said it wasn't passed on .

We point it at the government and they can point where they need too. We should all be supporting any action that puts pressure on those able to make the necessary changes. Those that won’t will happily benefit from any potential reduction that may result.

Great, so the government will wave some magic wand and everything will be fixed. The government can't do anything but reduce duty and VAT on fuel and even that doesn't guarantee lower prices because the retailers can simply put that onto their bottom line.

The government is simply playing lip service on this issue because they can't do anything else. Ohhhh Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng wrote a letter to the industry saying certain things are unacceptable (note, he didn't say illegal) such as the same retailer charging different prices in different regions. Funnily enough drivers have been screwed at the pump on motorway service stations since they were a thing.

They can’t even force these muppets into paying there fair share in taxes. Look they work for us fullstop. We tell them enough is enough sort it out or we’re shut the country down. Let them figure out how to go about it.

The visibility of the reduction was almost nil due to the increasing oil prices and the stronger $. So both of them wiped the 5/6p saving out in less than 3 days. Most people wouldn't/didn't notice as what are the chances of them using the places within 3 days? So when they turned up to higher prices they said it wasn't passed on .

I pass multiple stations on the way to and from work. There was no decrease. None.

Passed quite a few fuel stations today - not a single one over 190 for unleaded or 199.99 for diesel surprisingly - a small number had decreased about 1-2p recently but most still at what they've been. Surprisingly one at what is quite a prime location on the A303 is at 193.9 for diesel which is amongst the cheapest around.

Crude oil is below $100 a barrel. Its fallen more than 15% since the end of June. And yet I dont see pump prices plummeting..........

Of course, for the last few months Sterling has been in decline so fuel prices have quite often gone up not because crude oil has, but because the pound is buying less and less of it,

Fuel processing plants must be making a killing atm.

They can, they just won't. They can enact laws, bring in regulation. They can even seize assets.

They won't though because too many ministers and their chums will be profiting from this.

Woah hold you horses there son, you are starting to sound like a commie like Comrade Corbyn!!!!!!!! :D

Crude oil is below $100 a barrel. Its fallen more than 15% since the end of June. And yet I dont see pump prices plummeting..........

Of course, for the last few moneys Sterling has been in decline so fuel prices have quite often gone up not because crude oil has, but because the pound is buying less and less of it,

Fuel processing plants must be making a killing atm.
Most of the fall is today though so things should move down in the next few days. But yeah, refining cost is through the roof for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom