Fuel price discussion thread (was ‘chaos’)

Love it we should all be backing these protests. More is needed.

Why should we? Do you genuinely believe these protests are going to make a difference?

Until the supply and refinery of fuel improves, little can be done by the government that isn't going to result in any support being paid back via other means. Take for example the VAT reduction to 15% following the 2008 crash, a nice one year expenditure by the Government that must look like a drop in the ocean compared to now paying 20% since 2011. Prior to the reduction VAT was 17.5% for over 15 years.

Why should we? Do you genuinely believe these protests are going to make a difference?

Until the supply and refinery of fuel improves, little can be done by the government that isn't going to result in any support being paid back via other means. Take for example the VAT reduction to 15% following the 2008 crash, a nice one year expenditure by the Government that must look like a drop in the ocean compared to now paying 20% since 2011. Prior to the reduction VAT was 17.5% for over 15 years.
Absolutely the alternative is to do nothing. Nothing gets you nothing, something gets you something.

Wait a minute I thought this was all caused by Brexit. Why are the Dutch striking? ;)

Not about cost of living ;) I was just showing what a proper protest can do. The farmers blocked every major road and brought the country to a standstill. The fishermen came out in support and blocked the ports and harbours as well. I am sure the Dutch Govt will be taking notice

(The actual dispute is over the Dutch Govt law which means farmers have to reduce Nitrogen usage by 30% and the farmers complaint is that they are been unfairly targeted as bigger polluters like cars havent been restricted like them)

Fuel duty/Vat all a form of taxation given a different name but you knew what I meant.

No, because so many people haven't got a clue between duty and VAT, so worth clarifying as VAT would have been a % reduction not a fixed amount in pence. Technically there was 1p reduction in VAT amount, due to the VAT on the duty though.

Maybe they will pull there fingers out of their ears and offer a 5% reduction in VAT soon, hopefully.

The ire directed towards the government would be just if the increase in costs were down to increased duty and VAT, but they're not. Sure the government are indirectly benefiting from VAT due to it being a % of base price, and whilst there is an argument they could could cut duty and/or VAT to net out at same absolute income per litre, this would be a short term band aid on the issue.

I think the finger should be pointed at a legalised cartel known as OPEC...

Back
Top Bottom