Fuji X Series

Associate
By that logic we survived without a lot of things that didn't exist before they were invented. Technology moves on.

I know it's a great lens, but if I bought one only to see an OIS version next year I would be gutted. It's a useful feature for anyone who needs to hand hold in low light. End of story. :)

Don't know why you think an OIS version is coming next year. It's not on Fuji's roadmap, and that nonsense about a patent for an OIS version was shown to be from back in 2014 - nothing to do with an imminent revision.

Caporegime
Pretty much sold on moving to an X-Series from my tired D60. Now just need to decide whether it's worth waiting and saving the extra for an X-T2 or just going for the X-T1 (possibly used?) since the price is so much lower and still seems a big improvement over the D60.

Only you can answer that! However the XT-2 is definitely a significant upgrade imo, and I will gladly shell out for it when it hits. :)

Don't know why you think an OIS version is coming next year. It's not on Fuji's roadmap, and that nonsense about a patent for an OIS version was shown to be from back in 2014 - nothing to do with an imminent revision.

They have only quietly announced three lenses on the new roadmap... there will be more and I think the 16-55 will get an update sooner rather than later. We shall see.

Anyway I am not ruling buying the lens out, but it's a serious investment for something you are not 100% sold on and there are some decent alternatives I would explore first.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Guys, a question:

I am starting to hike a lot lately and am also going to Portugal shortly for 9 days of solo exploring and sightseeing which will involve some lovely seascapes, grand castles, national parks and all that jazz.

I am looking for for a good and versatile landscape and telephoto kit and am thinking the 10-24 would be a good option. It is essentially the same price as the 14 and 16mm primes, is very sharp according to all reviews I have read, and wider than anything else (15-36mm equivalent).

Would anyone else recommend the 10-24 as a good wide angle solution? :)

Associate
Guys, a question:

I am starting to hike a lot lately and am also going to Portugal shortly for 9 days of solo exploring and sightseeing which will involve some lovely seascapes, grand castles, national parks and all that jazz.

I am looking for for a good and versatile landscape and telephoto kit and am thinking the 10-24 would be a good option. It is essentially the same price as the 14 and 16mm primes, is very sharp according to all reviews I have read, and wider than anything else (15-36mm equivalent).

Would anyone else recommend the 10-24 as a good wide angle solution? :)

Not used the 10-24 personally, but I guess it comes down to a focal length question- 10mm is dramatically wider than 14mm, so if you need 10mm and F4 will do the trick, that's your question answered.

On the other hand I went with primes purely because I was almost always at one extreme of the other with zooms, i.e. fully wide or fully zoomed, so the flexibility didn't count for much, and for me was more than offset by the extra aperture.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm so tempted to buy the X-T2, I've got an X100T and I love that. I'm just not sure I can justify the X-T2 on top of my Nikon D810 and all the stuff I have for it and I'm not sure the X-T2 can fully replace the Nikon.

In a way I wish it could as the size is getting more and more important to me now.

Caporegime
Not used the 10-24 personally, but I guess it comes down to a focal length question- 10mm is dramatically wider than 14mm, so if you need 10mm and F4 will do the trick, that's your question answered.

On the other hand I went with primes purely because I was almost always at one extreme of the other with zooms, i.e. fully wide or fully zoomed, so the flexibility didn't count for much, and for me was more than offset by the extra aperture.

I have decided on the 16mm f1.4. The IQ is simply stellar and it has insane close focusing capabilities. I think it will be a better investment.

I'm so tempted to buy the X-T2, I've got an X100T and I love that. I'm just not sure I can justify the X-T2 on top of my Nikon D810 and all the stuff I have for it and I'm not sure the X-T2 can fully replace the Nikon.

In a way I wish it could as the size is getting more and more important to me now.

What do you do with the Nikon?

Caporegime
Woop, just ordered the 16mm f1.4 in a local store that was doing a discount today, will be using it on the weekend when I do a trip to Bellinzona in Ticino. It's a UNESCO site with 3x castles and a great hike, so hoping to get some good shots. Especially excited about the Fuji film simulations as I think I may start doing more Black and white action that ever before. :)

A mix really, Landscape, Wildlife, Motorsports, Astro etc.

Im sure it would be fine for most but the Wildlife/Sports will be the issue.

I think the X-T2 might be fine for that if you don't make your living on it...

Caporegime
Soldato
http://macleancomms.blogspot.ae/2016/07/review-fujifilm-x-t2-x-series-camera.html

Scroll down to conclusion and you will see, it will be more than fine for Wildlife/Sports and especially paired with the 100-400

Those photos are nice but it doesn't really show how many was taken to get the shot. My only real concern if with the EVF lag when tracking fast moving subjects, I know the focus system is better but with the EVF Lag/Delay it can make it hard to track as the subject may not be where you think it is etc.

I think it will be a case of me trying before buying and I really hope I'm wrong.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
The boost mode of the grip is meant to reduce and improve on the shutter lag, I guess we'll have to wait for some real world reviews before making a better informed decision.

Soldato
Those photos are nice but it doesn't really show how many was taken to get the shot. My only real concern if with the EVF lag when tracking fast moving subjects, I know the focus system is better but with the EVF Lag/Delay it can make it hard to track as the subject may not be where you think it is etc.

I think it will be a case of me trying before buying and I really hope I'm wrong.

Regarding the lag:
A thing that is often talked about in regards to the EVF is the blackout period between shots. This has really been improved as well. Fujifilm doesn’t specify a number, but states that it’s below half of that in the X-T1. All I can say from my testing, especially in motorsports, is that the blackout is virtually nonexistent. It surely poses a non-issue for capturing fast paced action sequences.

Jonasraskphotography.com

Soldato
Regarding the lag:

Jonasraskphotography.com

That sounds good but I think I'll still want to try.... although I'm so tempted just to pre-order.

Another thing that is concerning me is the grip, it now seems to be an integral part of the system which is a shame because it adds weight and size, something that I was trying to avoid.

Soldato
That sounds good but I think I'll still want to try.... although I'm so tempted just to pre-order.

Another thing that is concerning me is the grip, it now seems to be an integral part of the system which is a shame because it adds weight and size, something that I was trying to avoid.

Wouldn't you mainly be using the battery grip with larger lenses though for sport and wildlife? I went from a XT10 to XT1 because the battery grip made it easier to hold; particularly when using the 100-400. There is the fact that you wouldn't necessarily have to use the battery grip all the time, to consider :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just been for a weekend away in Ticino (Italian part of Switzerland). Prior to going I purchased the 16mm f1.4 WR lens for my Fuji X-E2. Holy friggin crap, this thing is CRAZY SHARP... easily a match for my old Sigma Art 35mm 1.4, and actually much sharper when opened up at f1.4. In fact, I have never used a lens so sharp, it is simply stunning. I used the one lens for the entire trip around the mountains and castles and found its also great for portraits when used carefully... it really is a fantastic all-round lens with surprisingly good bokeh. Also the size and weight, being an APS-C lens, is just perfect... 375g makes it balanced even on an X-E2. The quality to size ratio is just phenomenal. If you have the budget then I can only recommend it in the strongest possible terms, I can't wait to try it on the 24MP sensor of the X-T2 in September but until then it will be great on my X-E2 in Portugal next week!

I am really falling in love with the Fuji system and it's aperture rings and shutter speed dials, and when I see the quality of the files (now that I have figured out how to get the most from the AF etc) vs my Nikon D750 in similar scenarios I do not think I am losing anything in the scenarios I have been shooting in, in fact not only do I find the IQ more pleasing (especially the great out of camera JPEGs and the awesome Fujifilm colour profiles) but the sheer weight savings when lugging things around for a day of hiking (even with the need for a couple of extra batteries) are such that I cannot see myself ever going back to a DSLR. I'm a convert, and I find that I am considering my shots much more carefully than before.

When I get my X-T2 in September and have used it a while and see what the new and lauded AF is like I will write a full impression of my switch from Nikon to Fuji. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Not lumped in with the other links as this review gives a better indication of the XT2's focussing ability (despite it still being pre-production). This review sees the XT2 perform favourably against a Sony A6300 and better in video as the latter wasn't able to handle the ambient temperature.The Fuji is tested with the battery/booster grip :

Hands on field test in New York City https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUPxVYAnz_E

Last edited:
Associate
I'm sure the X-T2 is going to be a great camera, but we're going to have to wait until September before we get any serious, non-biased reviews.

Back
Top Bottom