Fuji X Series

Associate
How come you were disappointed by the X-T4, vs coming from the X-T30 considering it's on paper, a better camera than the 30?
As someone else pointed out, the IQ wasn't any better and to be fair neither was the AF, I was expecting much better from it. The X-T30 cost me £800 with a kit lens vs £1849 with a kit lens, it felt like it cost over twice as much for a slightly bigger body.

Soldato
As someone else pointed out, the IQ wasn't any better and to be fair neither was the AF, I was expecting much better from it. The X-T30 cost me £800 with a kit lens vs £1849 with a kit lens, it felt like it cost over twice as much for a slightly bigger body.

Ahh, thanks for the reply! I thought the X-T4 was supposed to have better focusing than the X-T3x series. I was looking at the X-T4 and currently on an ancient X-T1 (hence my question). What I like about the 4 is the new battery as I do think that's a Achilles heel of the X series.

I think the X-S10 looks good, but it uses the older battery.

Associate
Ahh, thanks for the reply! I thought the X-T4 was supposed to have better focusing than the X-T3x series. I was looking at the X-T4 and currently on an ancient X-T1 (hence my question). What I like about the 4 is the new battery as I do think that's a Achilles heel of the X series.

I think the X-S10 looks good, but it uses the older battery.
I was close to buying the X-S10 at the time. If you don't mind used then there's some good deals about at the minute, there's some X-T3 at £500 and X-T4 just over £800, at these prices it wouldn't bother me but considering I bought a new A7iv for the same price as my new X-T4 I didn't think it was good value (more so vs X-T30 price) hence my disappointment.

Caporegime
I was close to buying the X-S10 at the time. If you don't mind used then there's some good deals about at the minute, there's some X-T3 at £500 and X-T4 just over £800, at these prices it wouldn't bother me but considering I bought a new A7iv for the same price as my new X-T4 I didn't think it was good value (more so vs X-T30 price) hence my disappointment.

How much did you get your A74 for!? Was it new?

Soldato
I bought an X-T30 II a few weeks ago literally days before they announced the X-T5. I was convinced at the time I'd upgrade to the X-T5 but after a trip to Jordan with the X-T30 II I'm going to stay put.

I had the 16mm f1.4 on it for pretty much the entire trip. The whole setup in black looks awesome especially with the optional metal lens hood, I can't stop just picking it up and admiring it with that lens on. I love the portability of the X-Txx series and the photos are just sublime - they seem to have ironed out the various niggles I had with the X-T20. I guess if you're doing video work then the X-T30 II won't cut it but if you're just doing photography it's already in a class of its own IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiE
Soldato
Returned from a family holiday using the x100v and fuji weekly recipes.

The Portra 160 over exposed came out exactly how I wanted it. Beautiful pastel colours, really captured the feeling. The kodachrome and portra 400 were disappointing. I turned clarity off.

Ilford hp5 again more classic look with a little grain. Again over-exposed by around a stop.

This was a beach holiday. Not sure if the former would work well with British weather. Also need to tweak for indoor shots.

Overall, super happy to get rid of the whole editing routine. It's a barrier for daily photos. Made a new flickr account to store all my family photos privately. Also got the fuji app working.

Super quick now. Take photos in jpeg. Import to phone (around 10 mins for 100 images over bluetooth). Upload to flickr. Done.

Last edited:
Associate
I see, I can get opened box UK ones for £2k….tempted.

Ps, I still want to upgrade my XT1 with something newer on the Fuji front.
There's an X-T3 on a photography forum for £525, I'd have snapped this up if it wasn't for the X-H2 arriving yesterday. I think the new year will see some good prices on used X-T3/T4

Caporegime
There's an X-T3 on a photography forum for £525, I'd have snapped this up if it wasn't for the X-H2 arriving yesterday. I think the new year will see some good prices on used X-T3/T4

The logical thing is to trade both my A73 for A74, Clifton cameras have £300 bonus at the moment but it would still need about £3k to upgrade I think.

Associate
The logical thing is to trade both my A73 for A74, Clifton cameras have £300 bonus at the moment but it would still need about £3k to upgrade I think.
I guess it depends on if you want a UK model or not? Clifton and a few others have an instant £250 off too until 01/01 so now's probably the best time if you want a UK model. Not sure what the trade in vs private value is though.

Soldato
Morning all!

So I managed to get my hands on a BNWT Domke F8 bag, although my T2 with the new battery boost grip and 18-55 lens is now a bit of a beast to fit in there

Do people normally pop the lens off caps on to travel with, I guess its a personal preference thing?

Soldato
That said, I can barely notice any difference between my X-T4 and X-T5 (which has the same sensor as the X-H2) so if IQ is the name of the game then there isn't a vast improvement there either.

40mp should be better with cropping and medium / large prints due to the resolution boost.

40mp in an APS-C sensor is actually bonkers and unthinkable years back when 12 or 16mp cameras were the norm.

The noise at higher ISO`s would be expected to be worse with higher resolution sensors so it is actually an achievement if the ISO performance of the 40mp sensors are similar to the 26mp sensors.

Back
Top Bottom