Fuji X Series

Caporegime
I had an X100V briefly that I took on holiday and it did a very good job. I may look at one again in the future. Shame they are so pricey.

I would not get this original one if you tried a new one, i got it partly to add to my collection, being the 1st one in the series and Limited Edition and I want that old sensor.

Everything else, the later ones does it better.

Reactions: LiE
Soldato
The X100?

Slow. or Terrible. Tempted to shoot manual with peaking lol

I am essentially treating it like an old school film camera, single shot. Take anymore than 1 shot you can see the buffer writing to the card and i have cards 3x the speed of it's spec!
I can relate (sort of). I picked up an X-E1 a while back partly as a small walkabout camera but also for posterity.
I had much the same experience, in that, it's slow (both operationally and functionally). In an odd way I enjoyed being forced to slow down and be more methodical in my processes, not to mention the images from the first gen X-Trans sensor were just superb. Conversely, it is not a camera you want if you plan to get anything done in a hurry. 5-6 raw shots and it comes to a grinding halt for a good 10-15 seconds while it clears the buffer. It has AF-C in name only - I still don't even know what it actually does.

Caporegime
I am in like a strange accessories craze right now, partly because i am planning and experimenting what to bring to Japan. Just got this metal Grip for the X-Pro2 I might pick up when i am over there.

The good - Great fit, excellent construction, feels really natural, access to battery door, recess for LCD flip out for X-Pro3. Only £35.

The bad - No felt layer where it contact the camera, tripod screw position is really off center. Will probably stick some electrical tape down to prevent scratches and live with the off centre, not really a problem for what i need it to do but more an annoyance.

e0eLx2i.jpg

CLogekx.jpg

9p1rxod.jpg

uPCcAh1.jpg

sbdXyt4.jpg

zd0ykh9.jpg

Caporegime
I'd read that the leaf shutter and sync speed makes the flash a bit of a monster for it's size? I'm a bit of a flash noob but it's one of the features that really attracts me to the X100 series.
I think so, not sure the max speed but I think 1/2000 is achievable (according to the Manual) if you stop down and 1/1000 at f/2.

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone got any experience with the XF 23mm f2 , the XF 23mm f1.4 R or the XF 23mm f1.4 WR LM ? The 1.4 LM is about double the price of what I can get the f2 for, and from the reviews I’ve seen the old 1.4 may not be as crisp or fast focusing as the f2.

Caporegime
Has anyone got any experience with the XF 23mm f2 , the XF 23mm f1.4 R or the XF 23mm f1.4 WR LM ? The 1.4 LM is about double the price of what I can get the f2 for, and from the reviews I’ve seen the old 1.4 may not be as crisp or fast focusing as the f2.

I had the f2, for a short while then traded it for the 1.4 R which I still have and cba to get the WR.

They are all sharp enough and I prioritise 1.4 over 2.0 but don’t care for weather sealing so no reason to upgrade.

There are plenty of the R used for reasonable money, I’d start there.

Soldato
Had both the 1.4 R and the f2 - the new 1.4 LM is a mere pipe dream at the minute :p

The f2 never impressed me. It was a solid performer but was just never anything special - it is also renowned for being noticeably soft when shooting objects at f2 and up close (and by close I mean at, or near, minimum focus distance).

The 1.4 R was a really nice lens. Out of the two already mentioned plus the Viltrox and Tokina 23 f1.4 lenses I can confidently say the Fuji 23 f1.4 produces the most pleasing images.
Great? Unfortunately not. There is quite a common flaw with that lens whereby it tends to focus where it wants - not where YOU want! The most common tendency is to back focus, meaning the focal plane often ends up a little beyond the subject you intended to shoot. Occasionally it might front focus but not as often. In my own experience I would guesstimate if you took 5 shots of a subject then 1, maybe 2, would focus exactly where you intended.
Now we’re talking a very minor deviation here but the problem is when you’re shooting at f1.4 you don’t really have a great margin for error. It’s a real pity about this flaw because it’s an otherwise tremendous lens.

Last edited:
Associate

Looked at the Viltrox 1.4 23mm offering?

Borrowed one and was impressed with it. Not tried the Fuji offerings and wondering how much better they'll be.

Associate
Thank you so much all for the advice - it’s been tremendously helpful.

I was looking to spend £300-400, which meant either getting the f2 on Fuji refurb store or the f1.4 R on MPB.

Given what you have said about the focusing issues of the f1.4R, I will seriously consider Viltrox, as I can’t risk potential focus issues.

My partner is currently using an XT2 with a XF 18-55, and mostly shoots at 23mm, so this is the motive for looking for a lens.

Soldato
Thank you so much all for the advice - it’s been tremendously helpful.

I was looking to spend £300-400, which meant either getting the f2 on Fuji refurb store or the f1.4 R on MPB.

Given what you have said about the focusing issues of the f1.4R, I will seriously consider Viltrox, as I can’t risk potential focus issues.

My partner is currently using an XT2 with a XF 18-55, and mostly shoots at 23mm, so this is the motive for looking for a lens.
The Viltrox is a sound lens for the money. However it has it's drawbacks such as no in camera corrections which means if you're shooting JPG there will be significant vignetting up to f4 and the corners aren't great for sharpness (compared to the Fuji lenses). But I repeat, for the price it's super - a case of you get what you pay for.

There is also the Tokina which is a rebadged Viltrox for all intents and purposes however Tokina paid for the Fuji licensing so that lens DOES have in camera corrections which should lead to more pleasing SOOC JPG's. The downside of the Tokina is it's ~£400 new which is frankly scandalous however it can be bought used for around £220-250 which is much more reasonable.

As you can probably tell, I have been round the houses with 23mm on Fuji (as I mentioned further up, I've owned them all) and I have yet to settle on one. I have no doubt the new 23mm f1.4 is the lens to satisfy my needs (read wants) but there is no way I can justify the cost at this moment in time for what would essentially be my hobbyist lens.

Last edited:
Associate
The Viltrox is a sound lens for the money. However it has it's drawbacks such as no in camera corrections which means if you're shooting JPG there will be significant vignetting up to f4 and the corners aren't great for sharpness (compared to the Fuji lenses). But I repeat, for the price it's super - a case of you get what you pay for.

There is also the Tokina which is a rebadged Viltrox for all intents and purposes however Tokina paid for the Fuji licensing so that lens DOES have in camera corrections which should lead to more pleasing SOOC JPG's. The downside of the Tokina is it's ~£400 new which is frankly scandalous however it can be bought used for around £220-250 which is much more reasonable.

As you can probably tell, I have been round the houses with 23mm on Fuji (as I mentioned further up, I've owned them all) and I have yet to settle on one. I have no doubt the new 23mm f1.4 is the lens to satisfy my needs (read wants) but there is no way I can justify the cost at this moment in time for what would essentially be my hobbyist lens.
Thanks, I was ‘ok’ with the lack of JPG correction. However I overlooked the fact that in-camera the images will look distorted, and I think that means it’s a no-go for my partner. - She shoots and edits in raw, but would rely on reviewing the images in camera during shoots.

Thanks so much again. I will check out the Tokina, and report back on whatever I end up with and what the results end up like.

Soldato
Thanks, I was ‘ok’ with the lack of JPG correction. However I overlooked the fact that in-camera the images will look distorted, and I think that means it’s a no-go for my partner. - She shoots and edits in raw, but would rely on reviewing the images in camera during shoots.

Thanks so much again. I will check out the Tokina, and report back on whatever I end up with and what the results end up like.
No problem.
I still have the Tokina by the way so if there's anything in particular you want to know just ask :)

Associate
Which places (if you're allowed to post) is the Tokina available for £220-£250? I still want to have a 23mm as found it very useful but have to hand my mates one back.

The Fuji focusing where it wants does not sound good as mainly take people shots.

Looking to upgrade the X-T20 to X-E4, X-T30 or X-S10 but that is another can of worms trying to avoid as prices are sky high still and not many on the used market.

Last edited:
Soldato
Which places (if you're allowed to post) is the Tokina available for £220-£250? I still want to have a 23mm as found it very useful but have to hand my mates one back.
At the minute it's pretty much just eBay. I got mine for ~£200 but that was only because the seller had another lens I wanted so we agreed a deal for both.
IIRC it was on sale at Amazon a while back for something like £280-£300 but I can't be certain.
The Fuji focusing where it wants does not sound good as mainly take people shots.
It was a real shame indeed. But please, do your own research on it and you'll see there are plenty of reports of it but likewise there are people out there who say they didn't have the issue so it could be a case of trying 2 or 3 copies until you get one - if you have the time and patience for that.

Last edited:
Associate
Just to pitch in, not disputing that others have, but I can't say I've ever noticed systematic focus issues with my particular 23mm1.4R. Used with X-E1, X-E2 and X-T3, and it's probably the lens I use the most.

Last edited:
Soldato
Back in the Fuji fam.

X-T3 + XF33mmF1.4 R LM WR

I know you returned these and briefly had the 33mm up on the MM but in your brief usage what did you make of the lens?
I've been hankering for the 23mm since its release pretty much but I can't justify the cost.
The 33mm is available on Amazon for £699 (which I know is RRP) but I have the 12 monthly installment option which is quite appealing. It's also, overall, £130 cheaper than the 23mm.

Back
Top Bottom