Full metal cases

Soldato
My motherboard is out for an RMA and so I thought now is a good time to change my case. I've got a Cooler Master Storm Sniper which I bought in 2009.

What are the advantages of getting a full metal case? I've got my eye on this one: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/nzxt...0-full-tower-case-orange-black-ca-034-nx.html

I'll be fitting in a GTX 970 but plan to get a 1080 soon. My i7 4790k will stay stock with a Brocken 2 CPU cooler (it's quite big!)

Thanks

Associate
Not sure what you mea by 'full metal' as the NZXT has plenty of plastic on it?

The difference between that and the case you have is that it's bigger and more modern. More fan mounting positions, better/easier cable management.

Soldato
I'm not sure I'd put too much stock in that. There's some good cases there and some rubbish ones, same with any category. I would just hone in on a particular case you like and see what the reviews/user feedback says. Think about what you will actually want from a case and go from there. You could do a lot better than that NZXT in my view... it's OK, nothing special, but if you love the aesthetic then fair enough.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure I'd put too much stock in that. There's some good cases there and some rubbish ones, same with any category. I would just hone in on a particular case you like and see what the reviews/user feedback says. Think about what you will actually want from a case and go from there. You could do a lot better than that NZXT in my view... it's OK, nothing special, but if you love the aesthetic then fair enough.

It goes well with my desk lol That's the only reason I'm thinking of getting it. Not too fussed about its cooling abilities as I don't OC much.

Soldato
The NZXT Phantom has been on the market since 2010. It is a fairly old design, there are many much newer more modern case designs now available.

If you like the NZXT style check the NZXT Source range but there are many other brands to consider too.

Soldato
It goes well with my desk lol That's the only reason I'm thinking of getting it. Not too fussed about its cooling abilities as I don't OC much.

Fair enough lol, although cooling really shouldn't only be considered when overclocking, it is important to keep things running at a good temp generally speaking. As Ace says, there are far newer and better all around cases that should be considered, so unless you have fallen passionately in love with that one, I would look elsewhere.

Soldato
OP
Heres my kit: GTX 970, Sounblaster Z PCI-E sound card, 1 SSD, 2 HDD. That should be OK right? Dont midi cases have less cooling abilities that full towers?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Went for an NZXT Source 340 in white. Also got a corsair H45 cpu cooler.

I'm going to take off the fan on the rear and replace it with the one from the H45. Maybe I could use that fan somewhere else in the case?

Back
Top Bottom