Full metal cases

Soldato
Went for an NZXT Source 340 in white. Also got a corsair H45 cpu cooler.

I'm going to take off the fan on the rear and replace it with the one from the H45. Maybe I could use that fan somewhere else in the case?

Where is the cooler going? And why H45? You probably would have been better off with an air cooler TBH.

Soldato
OP
I've got a Brocken 2 air cooler. It won't fit in the case so went for a H45 as it was cheapest alternative and I wanted to try liquid cooling.

I'm planning on putting its exhaust fan at the back of the case.

Soldato
I've got a Brocken 2 air cooler. It won't fit in the case so went for a H45 as it was cheapest alternative and I wanted to try liquid cooling.

I'm planning on putting its exhaust fan at the back of the case.

Well if you'd done your resaerch you'd have seen even lower profile coolers will beat out the H45. Fair enough if you want it for the aesthetic, but you're getting no performance increase. Sounds like you perhaps bought in to the marketing hype that AIO manufacturers peddle.

I don't know what fan is on that cooler, but I thought the one that came with the 340 was fine. Just go with the quietest fan, it's just exhaust, doesn't need anything special there. Or are you saying you are putting the H45 at the rear of the case? With rads, they cool optimally with cool air being brought over the rad from outside. It's a common misconception that radiators need to be set as exhaust.

Soldato
OP
Yes I'm talking about the H45 fan. At the moment therenare two fans that came with the case, one at the top and one at the rear. I'm going to replace the rear one with the fan that comes with the H45.

The Brocken 2 under load had my cpu at 65c. The H45 does 55c according to reviews.

Soldato
Yes I'm talking about the H45 fan. At the moment therenare two fans that came with the case, one at the top and one at the rear. I'm going to replace the rear one with the fan that comes with the H45.

The Brocken 2 under load had my cpu at 65c. The H45 does 55c according to reviews.

The H45 is probably better than your Brocken, I'm just saying there are other air coolers that could do better. Doesn't matter now anyway.

I'm still not clear, you are removing the fan from your H45? Or mounting the whole thing at the rear? Does it not fit up top?

Soldato
OP
This is the problem I've got, only the bottom two screw holes align with the case.

20170320_201430.jpg

Ive tried mounting the radiator at the top but there's a big heatsink on my mobo that gets in the way.

Edit : the instructions don't even mention how to attach the cooler to the cpu! It just covers the radiator!!?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Everything fits in, mounted the radiator at the front. It wouldn't fit at the back as it would block the PCI-E slot, and a heatsink on the mobo was blocking it so couldn't mount at the top.

Going to fiddle with the cables to neaten them up and then I'm done.

Soldato
OP
All done. Found the two case fans that came with it don't really add much to the cooling capabilites. I have them with the NZXT logo pointing out so both are blowing hot air out of the case.... I've since disconnected them.

The radiator of the H45 is also blowing hot air out the front. Here are my temps after some gaming. It's fan is connected to CHASIS_FAN1 on the board as the cable won't reach CPU_FAN2. In this diagram its labelled as SYSFANIN.

CPUFANIN must be the pump then as that never changes.

NZXT%20Case%20Cooling.png

Looks pretty good imo

Back
Top Bottom