Fun Track Car for 5k?

Soldato
MK1 MR2s (and MX5s) in good condition are expensive now. They have become collectables.

You might be able to get a MK2 or 3 mx5 and bolt a supercharger to it for that though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah that's interesting, i wonder if there's any bigger oil pan mods like you can get one Subaru's to increase the oil volume and add baffles.

Moroso do that's roughly 1l more capacity, plus baffles and extra ports if necessary (e.g. turboing), I've not really heard of many people in Celicas having issues with that and mine has survived on trackday at Castle Combe fine but that's hardly a full validation :p

I believe some people fit/use the 1zz oil pan thinking it's an upgrade but pretty sure that's false and it's no better than the 2zz one.

MR2 fitment shouldn't be too different, at least I believe the orientation of the engine is the same due to the MR layout...

Caporegime

This or a 330ci. You will not find better at that price point.

You could find either for 3-4k if you look hard enough then spend 1-1.5k on tyres, coilovers and brakes.

Also do not discount the E90 330i. Incredibly cheap now. Plenty in the 3-4k range.

Last edited:
Associate
I can add that an RX8 is one of if not the best handling cars out of this comparison (I’ve owned and tracked the following: focus st mk1, civic type r, Mini Cooper s, mx5 mk1, mr2 mk2). The engine, if maintained, is reliable for hard use as constant high revving isn’t a bad thing, if anything it helps! Use premix 2 stroke oil in the fuel tank. Budget for good plugs, coils and ht leads immediately, then put £1.5k aside for an engine rebuild at some point. Once rebuilt you’ll not need another though. Frequent cold starts and short trips are what kill them.

I tracked mine with just Toyo r888 tyres and drilled/grooves disks with track pads and it performed exceptionally well. Very cheap to track because it needs very little in upgrades to be very capable and fun.

Soldato
Moroso do that's roughly 1l more capacity, plus baffles and extra ports if necessary (e.g. turboing), I've not really heard of many people in Celicas having issues with that and mine has survived on trackday at Castle Combe fine but that's hardly a full validation :p

I believe some people fit/use the 1zz oil pan thinking it's an upgrade but pretty sure that's false and it's no better than the 2zz one.

MR2 fitment shouldn't be too different, at least I believe the orientation of the engine is the same due to the MR layout...

Yea that's a mod people do on the 2zz Elise as well. The 1zz pan does have a baffle in it, but I don't think it's as simple as it sounds. There is a reason Toyota didn't use it themselves but can't remember what it is.

It's high G right turns which kills them apparently. If you can avoid that you might be ok :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea that's a mod people do on the 2zz Elise as well. The 1zz pan does have a baffle in it, but I don't think it's as simple as it sounds. There is a reason Toyota didn't use it themselves but can't remember what it is.

It's high G right turns which kills them apparently. If you can avoid that you might be ok :D
NASCAR it is!

• Haha
Reactions: NVP
Soldato

Yeah, Castle Combe has some pretty high-G right handers really, hopefully get it back out this year and see if I kill it or not :cry:

Soldato
So one of my aims this year is to get on the track a bit more. I'm after something no frills that is fun to drive and reliable, a manual RWD would ideally be what I'm after but not essential. Doesn't need to be in good cosmetic condition but will need to be road legal so I can drive there and back. I can do the odd bit off maintenance too but don't want to be rebuilding engines or gearboxes.. A few I've been looking at;
  • MX5 - the classic choice
  • RX8 - Maybe not as reliable as I'd like
  • 350Z - Possibly a bit over budget
  • Z4 - not looked too much into this but seems like it should work
  • EP3 Type R - I think this would be a decent FWD option
  • Golf GTI - same but hard to get a manual one in NZ
  • Audi TT Quattro - not sure how fun it would be
Anyone have any recommendations or track experience on the above? I've only driven a handful of these and none on a track.

Happy to hear thoughts!

TBH some of the choices is driven by what you want to do on track days.

For me, as an average to maybe good track driver who enjoys trying to get the most of that limited talent out of a car that is way beyond those talents then a well sorted MX5 can't really be beaten.

If you want to be quick on track days and not be overtaken then your choice might be different.

Edit: if you've played DriveClub VR, my favourite car is the BAC Mono on twisty tracks, that's where my enjoyment lies.

Last edited:
Soldato
Join the 130i owners unite Facebook group

Often ones for sale from around £3.5k which is peanuts and nothing will come close in terms of performance and reliability.

Will be over 100k mileage but that's nothing.

Last edited:
Soldato
In NZ I imagine you have better access to rust free old Japanese cars than that UK?

I'd go for something lightweight and rwd. MX5, MR2 or similar.

The MX5 is a good solid choice imo. Consumables are cheap and widely available and its a good base to start with. If you want more speed, mods are widely available.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom