Fuse box advice

We're (BG) not allowed to change meters when confronted with metal-clad cutouts. We report them to the DNO for replacement.

So it's a very good idea to get it changed, especially when you're rewiring the house anyway.

Is that your gas pipe to right of the cutout?

Anyway, what I want to know is how do they not get electrocuted when the DNO change the cut out? Obviously the cable into the house will be live unless they switch off the whole street or something.

Depending on the exact type and cut-out, and its condition (whether it looks damaged, etc) They will have two possible courses of action

A) Change it live, its the quicker option, but they have to be sure its not going to break up as they dismantle it, and that it doesn't contain asbestos (which would have to be wetted down before taking apart). They have written procedures on how its going to be done and use live working gloves and tools

B) If its not safe to open the cutout, they will dig down and isolate by cutting the service cable, This is also done live*, but its safer to open the cable live than a cutout in a poor condition. They will then replace the cutout with the cable dead, and then go and re-joint the service cable to make it live again

*This is also what happens if someone who has been cut off for non payment (by removing the fuse in the cutout and sealing it back up) tries to illegally restore the supply.... only it ends up costing ££££ for the person picking up the pieces (normally someone buying a repossention) to have it rejointed

I don't know why people think that things like this need to be kept compliant - they generally don't. My house is wired with red and black cable, which is not "compliant" with today's regs. That doesn't matter, because it was installed in 1981.

There must be hundreds of thousands of houses out there in the UK still with no RCDs and rewireable fuses for example. If they aren't faulty or worn out, it isn't a problem.

I don't know why people think that things like this need to be kept compliant - they generally don't. My house is wired with red and black cable, which is not "compliant" with today's regs. That doesn't matter, because it was installed in 1981.

There must be hundreds of thousands of houses out there in the UK still with no RCDs and rewireable fuses for example. If they aren't faulty or worn out, it isn't a problem.

red and black is still compliant so long as its not vulcanised rubber or some such and passes a suitable insulation resistance test. Your just not allowed to fit it anymore. If mixed colours are used then a mixed colour sticker makes it compliant.

RCD's are a totally different thing. I agree they are not the be all and end all but, for example, your on a TT (own earth rod) and its a high resistance back to the transformer and you had a 'minor' live to earth fault you could realistically build a significant charge in some metalwork in your house. The fault current could be enough to cause you damage but not enough to blow a fuse/open a mcb. RCD would open and protect you.
Worse still you could be on a PME/TNCS supply that loses its neutral (and consequently its earth by definition) so you'd have zero fault protection if you didnt have a RCD.

Simple premise is fuses/MCB's protect the cables from excessive load (for whatever reason) and prevent fire. RCD's protect you.

Theres more to it than that, but to say because something complied in 1981 and isn't damaged then its ok now is a little narrowsighted and possibly dangerous. If your not (to use the correct term) a skilled or suitably instructed person then your not really able to say either way if its ok. FYI since amendment 3 there is no competent person definition anymore, its skilled (electrically) or not.

I can see plenty wrong in that picture, some reasonably serious some not. Wouldn't take long for a decent spark to work out what needs doing.

Worse still you could be on a PME/TNCS supply that loses its neutral (and consequently its earth by definition) so you'd have zero fault protection if you didnt have a RCD.

If you loose the CNE/PEN on a TNCS supply then an RCD is going to make little difference. You are still going to have either the neutral current trying to return through the bonds to metallic services if there is a path there, or if there is not, all metalwork going to a dangerous potential (and without an effective earth or neutral, the RCD is likely to be in/op anyway).

There is a way to set up an RCD to protect in this situation but it would not be permitted in the UK

i have no rcd and a metal toaster, but i just moved into a house and in kitchen i drilled a cable miles away from a safe zone, that socket was on the ring but wired in 6mm t&e also jacked from that socket was a 1mm t&e feeding 3 kitchen lights, i mean how convenient is that.

EDIT: This is why i try to get the wife to heat my hot cross buns you never know.

I don't think that setup has ever been compliant :D.

It's amazing what sort of jobs you see. I've found a live socket in a terrace house despite cutting the power. Turns out it was part of next doors ring :D.

Back
Top Bottom