FZ750 Genesis - 1989

Soldato
Wow, an FZ750 that wasn’t thrown down the road and/or ended up on the track. Once upon a time, I spannered on one of those for a local club racer. Even did the Manx GP once. Can’t remember anything ever coming loose from the standard carb block before it was ditched for a set of flatslide Mikunis.

Soldato
OP
Wow, an FZ750 that wasn’t thrown down the road and/or ended up on the track. Once upon a time, I spannered on one of those for a local club racer. Even did the Manx GP once. Can’t remember anything ever coming loose from the standard carb block before it was ditched for a set of flatslide Mikunis.
They definately are far an between, shes always been garaged.

Have you watched the video in my last post? I'm a bit of any overthinker, but figured that I would ask to put my mind at rest. Its the noise towards the end of the video just after revving the bike. :)

@Malt_Vinegar thoughts? :) :cool:

Transmission breaker
Don
Hmm, could be any number of things, the two things mentioned above are always a good shout for a ticking. (Exhaust leak/CCT)

Could even just be something loose and rattling (electrical connector/cable) or tapping against the frame as the vibrations changes/dull from the revs.

Personally, I would just send it :D

Soldato
OP
Hmm, could be any number of things, the two things mentioned above are always a good shout for a ticking. (Exhaust leak/CCT)

Could even just be something loose and rattling (electrical connector/cable) or tapping against the frame as the vibrations changes/dull from the revs.

Personally, I would just send it :D

No exhaust leak checked that already. :D

So you think that she sounds ok then based on that? Your the man with the older bikes here, I need your knowledge :p

Transmission breaker
Don
No exhaust leak checked that already. :D

So you think that she sounds ok then based on that? Your the man with the older bikes here, I need your knowledge :p

Haha, I am not really a mechanical guru :D But this article is very helpful:
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/advice/maintenance/troubleshooting-noise-diagnosis/

I would have a look through that, and see what you think. Valve adjustment would probably be the next step for me if it was not going away/getting worse.

Soldato
OP
Okay, so you don't think it sounds like a knock or anything like that then?
Oil level is good.

I can live with the CCT, valves I need to look at but I might give it someone else to do as I really don't fancy the 5 valves per cylinder affair.

Soldato
OP
Changed the oil yesterday evening - Was a little dark, and definately ready for a change. No metal bits where in there, or really much of anything really - Apart from just being dirty.
Left her to drain overnight.

Rode her to work this morring, and a lunch time blast to check for filter leaks etc... The bike feels so, so much smoother. Its almost like a new machine, the engine sounds quiter too.

Though, like a noob (I'm used to spin on filters, not old skool cartridge) I unscrewed the filter without a tray on it, so made a right mess, which I STILL need to fully clean up because i'm lazy. Placed a bpoar of laminate over top to get the bike out over it :p

Soldato
OP
Sounds like a fairing rattle or something touching the fairing to me. Not got a little stone or piece of gravel trapped in there?
Definately not on the right side as I've had it off to do the oil change.

You might be right, it definately sounds like something caught, and it didn't do it when I was running it with them off. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice job, it looks very tidy. Pulled up next to a silver 1000 EXUP a few weeks back. Cool bikes.

Id probably start with the tensioner. Not sure on the setup but it could be a hydraulic tensioner.

Back
Top Bottom