• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
Hi,
First post on here, looking for some help!
I bought an Asus Strixx GTX 1080 A8G and a Dell 2716DG (The G-Sync one)

So.. I thought this would be a pretty killer combo for gaming but I'm getting a very weird issue,
it's a little hard to explain but here goes..

(By the way this is content unrelated - so I'm suffering this issue on film playback, youtube videos, and gaming.)

Mostly noticeable when the on-screen content is panning horizontally, there's a kinda judder, it's not jagged or tear-like, much more of a liquidy feel, like it's playing catch up or something is trying to smoothen out an issue, this is my first G-sync screen and I'm wondering if there's an incompatibility or other hardware issue..

Basically has anyone got any idea what might cause this?
I've got the latest Nvidia drivers installed, using Win10 and I'm under the impression the monitor doesn't require any additional software, at least in terms of drivers.

Please help, sunk a bunch of money into this and it's no fun to use at the moment!
I'd really appreciate any thoughts or advice, maybe there's some settings I can adjust?
Thanks
J

Associate
OP
hmmm.. previous setup was Palit 1070 and a budget 1920x1080 AOC monitor, I never noticed anything like this on that.
Well it's just a real weird thing, and like you said, hard to pin down to a specific.

I've always had the screen on Normal response.

FYI .... I just watched that clip back on my old mac mini with a 12 year old 20" apple cinema display and it was rock solid!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This is the display I was thinking buying. Have you solved your issue?

Is it across all games or just one?
I noticed it Elite dangerous the other day, but mostly whilst watching youtube, and it seems to be related to bright moving objects.. like the example link above.

I also noticed it here.. watch as the cars come round the corner, on my G-sync Dell they kinda jump around in little bursts

https://youtu.be/Jp_HOVJP1Mw?t=17s

actually .. just to confuse matters even more.. this might just be a youtube encoding thing.. as that particular clips also does it on my mac screen, where as the other example was solved on the mac.

Here's another example - https://youtu.be/Jp_HOVJP1Mw?t=3m19s

Associate
OP
I have to say in the two videos you've posted I haven't seen your issue. I'm just using a plain vanilla monitor at 60hz.

Try turning off Fast Sync maybe?

Erm... I'm not sure I've come across this setting.. where does one turn off fast sync..?? I'll try anything at this point!

Associate
OP
Yeh I figured I'd use google and found the answer pretty quick! nut thanks for the suggestion, I tried on, off and fast... same result on those clips so it's not related to that.

It's enough to drive you a bit nuts this!!

Associate
OP
Are you running Creators Update? If you are, try rolling back to Windows 10 1607 (get a fresh iso if you can't roll back), and try 378.92 Nvidia drivers. Creators Update seems to have broken Gsync and introduced tons of stuttering and drops. There's a 50+ page thread over on the Nvidia forums, but this still seems to be the only real fix. My new build (1080Ti and Z35P Monitor) was a mess until I tried the above...

AH ok...thanks for the tip. I might be, not sure .. I think it forced me to update recently..
I'll have a read over there and try that if I have to.. maybe a separate partition though as I've got a tonne of work on this system.

Associate
OP
Agreed, it's far more mysterious.

I'm not running creators update either so no game mode toggle anyway.. for what it's worth.

Associate
OP
one thing is for sure, my mac mini and old cinema display does not do the weird judder thing.

so I'll plug the Dell into the mac and report back.

Associate
OP
oh don't say that! I have a Galaxy note 4 as well, and it's pretty noticeable! I got paranoid thinking it was just me for a sec.. but my girlfriend can see it too. it's not as bad as the Gsync though.

Back
Top Bottom