1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gabe Newell AMA tomorrow

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Gerard, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Zethor

Mobster

The problem is Steam, which is a huge brand now that makes tonnes of money. If Valve releases HL3 and its success is moderate or, Gaben forbid, its unsuccessful, the Steam brand will get hurt, a risk which the corporate fat cats who now control the company would rather not take.

2. platypus

Caporegime

So sell it off to a third party but retain some creative control.

3. Rifte

Mobster

THIS!

the L4D games as about as good as it gets for co-op IMO.

Although I am enjoying Zombie Trilogy at the moment, which also has a great co-op mode.

4. Rezident

Mobster

I always assumed they were just waiting until they had perfected the concept or whatever for HL3, but it sounds like they’ve made so much money they couldn’t give a toss about it anymore. Maybe when you become a billionaire, you forget where you came from (although he came from Microsoft didn’t he!?) and you have to worry about your bankers and private jets instead. It’s sad :( megasadface :(

Do valve even make games anymore or do they just sell games?

5. Mark A

Capodecina

Portal 3 VR would be awesome! :D.

He said this when asked about L4D3...

I have no idea what that even means, don't know why he can't just answer things properly. Makes these AMA things pointless.

6. Freddie1980

Soldato

Ask me anything but I may not answer you.

7. StriderX

Caporegime

Thats funny, because L4D2 was basically a reskin, hardly something that came about because "herp a derp gotta spout useless crap to spur investors".

8. MoNkeE

Sgarrista

Reading that it sounds like L4D came around because they were trying to prove that generating crowds of mobs was possible in the source engine. L4D2 then pushed the envelope further - bigger crowds, and each zombie had randomly generated characteristics (texture, clothing, heads, gender etc). So what I suppose he's saying, is they created the experience as a technological test for the engine, and the game wrapped around that. Much like Dead Rising (from what I remember) was an early Grand Theft Auto crowd generating demo.

I guess that now Valve don't have a new engine to sell (I don't think the Source engine was commercially successful beyond the Valve games and Titanfall), their development of new games seems stuck in the mud. They're unlikely to buy an engine like UE5 from their old competitors, and don't seem to be producing anything themselves.

Disappointing, as I recently purchased L4D2 again as me and my mate are still partial to a zombie slay fest.

9. Rezident

Mobster

That is exactly what happened on everything that everyone really wanted to know about didn't it? Smacks of Julian Assange's AMA where he ignored all the tough questions about his funding and Russia etc. If this was an exam, they both failed. Boo! :(

Valve did say at one point that there would be 3 HL 'episodes' or whatever after HL2 didn't they? They made 1 and 2 and then what? The least they could do is tell the truth on it. At least let us know where it is. If it's dead put us out of our misery FFS. All that amazing goodwill really is draining away isn't it?

They're doing great things in VR so there's hope there at least.

10. Macro

Soldato

Ummm... They have what amounts to a monopoly for PC digital game distribution for which they charge game developers a huge slice of, had to be forced to offer some semblance of refunds and still refuse to allow resale of the games you purchase whilst seniors are multi billionaires. Why bother making your own game when you can just keep on getting rich milking other devs efforts?

Yep, they're in it just for the lulz and the good of PC gamers - honest!

11. Mark A

Capodecina

They also almost destroyed the PC modding community by trying to cash in on mods :mad:.

12. Freddie1980

Soldato

We all make mistakes in life, at least Value recognised it and got it sorted.

13. Longbow

Sgarrista

How? When EA releases a bad game people don't hate on Origin. People are capable of realising that a bad game doesn't reflect on the platform or distribution system it's release on.