Gah, i literally cant decide on my new psu.

Associate
MikeTimbers said:
Tagan TG580-U15 580W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU (CA-009-TG)

I got the 430W version as an RMA replacement for an Antec Smartpower (2 doa in a row!) and it's modular, quiet (silent, TBH) and the rails are spectacular.
Have to agree, totally :).

Soldato
Just got home with my enermax, looks fab and the build quality is great.

Hooked it all together and ... nothing.

DOA

Why are PSU's so **** !!

Shop closed now till monday, there goes my weekend overclocking my new Opty 170 :mad:

Associate
bear in mind that an rma to antec is slow and expensive (netherlands)
currently doing one myself and its going to cost £20 and probably take 3 weeks

think ill try an enermax next

Last edited:
Soldato
InwardSinging said:
was considering the sparkle one MN, my preference is shifting towards the antec. AWPC, i presume you own one, what is your setup you have?
P4 3.8Ghz (670J x64 2MB L2 Cache)
Asus P5WD2Premium
7800GTX512
Dell2405FPW
2.25GB DDR2-533 Ram
3xSATA HD's
2 x DVDR-W
5 USB Devices

Never had any issues with the PSU not supplying enough power to any of these devices. Like I said before the entire PSU is one massive heatsink so it also absorbs heat from the CPU/mobo beneath it. The PSU fan is a silent 60mm one which autodetects whenever it needs to come on. Even with the case sides off you cannot hear it. 99% of the time the PSU runs without the fan needing to kick in as it is so well built.

Very very heavy and a good 2" longer than most other PSU's so you need to follow the specs link from OCUK to Antec to ensure you have enough case clearance.

Real work of art from the packaging onwards! Got mine from OCUK in Aug05 for approx £135. Best PSU I have ever bought.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article241-page1.html

Soldato
OP
Well i ended up getting none of them, and ordered an antec p150 with the included 430HE psu. I need a new psu for my daughters pc, liked the fact the case was soundproof, so i guess ill give that a few days before deciding whether to spend a bit more on a decent one, or stick with the antec one and buy my daughter something else.

Soldato
Raymond Lin said:
55zg.jpg
Hi,

I was reading a review of this PSU and it seemed that the cables are not so well arranged, as in there is a fair few connectors clumped on each line?

Soldato
I would say the liberty as its stable and VERY quiet according to reviews.

And the fact i ordered the 500W one lol. There is two lines with 2 4pin molex's and 2 sata connectors on each one and then theres another two of the same but with floppy connectors shoved on the end of them.

Mines better not be DOA or anything else ive bought recently or i'll be going nuts grrr

Soldato
VaderDSL said:
you sure it's the PSU

Ive tried it on my P4 2.4c machine and it works fine. I then retried it on my Opty and no go, all the fans spin for about a second then nothing.

I put my trusty tagen 420w in my opty and its fine, though the instructions with my X1900XT said I need a 450W + PSU.

Associate
I recently bought the 580Watt Tagan Easy con modular and its great. Ive been using it to test an older K7 based system (though the parts are just arranged on my desk). You have to move to within an inch of it to hear the fan. If its that quiet under admittadly light load, its not going to be much louder by the time its running a high spec system. Factor in that it will be inside a case and likely atleast half a metre from you; and it can be considered silent. ;)

Associate
Oh the Tagan's are definatly quiet... very quiet :) - use a 430W and looking at the pictures I think they have the nicest cabling of the modular's I've seen pictures of too. Although it can be a little bulky it does look great. My Project Red Alert uses one and well when it's finished the only power cables really visible will be the ones for the graphics card. REALLY neat :)

Oooo and completely off topic - 1000 posts O.o

Back
Top Bottom