Galvanic corrosion/rust ?

Associate
I know what the term galvanic corrosion means, when two different metals are used in the same cooling loop it causes corrosion.

I havent experianced this before because the loop it has happened in, is my first build. So technically i have experianced it, if this is it.

The water has been in there for 2/3 years and has had 2 mayhems silver kill coils in the res and two different filters.

evoLJ12.jpg

If you look closely at the filter before the flow indicator you can see dark specs, im guessing those are bits of metal left over from manufacturing that have been caught.

VIwXdR7.jpg
BOITeJr.jpg

I think there is a bit of rust on the inside of one of my fittings aswell but, looking at these pictures, can anyone tell me wether this is corrosion or rust?

Im guessing that if it is either one of them then cleaning the block isnt an option and I should replace it and the fittings aswell (also an excuse to not address the build up around the gaskets)

What is it based on the pictures ?

Associate
Just empty, flush (mayhems), refill. You can take the plexi off the block to clean and refit. Little compressed air for the rest of the case / rads not a bad idea.

Soldato
Yes, you can absolutely clean blocks. Tooth paste (especially if it's a "whitening" kind) does a great job on cleaning blocks. For a loop that's been running for so long, it looks completely normal. Take it all apart, clean everything, re-build. Think of it as therapy :)

Associate
Silver coils are for killing growth, not inhibiting corrosion.

Silver coils plus nickel plated blocks are a bad combination and have been known to cause reactions between the metals.

Associate
Any two dissimilar metals that have contact with each other in combination with oxygen and an electrolyte will cause an anodic reaction if their potential voltages differ. The greater the difference of potential voltage the faster the reaction. You can use the galvanic series to determine how likely two metals will react.

Associate
Yeah as said above Silver coil helps prevent bugs/mould and ENCOURAGES Corrosion to do so.
It has to be used in a very specific set up.

I have found in my five water systems I have built the two EK water block ones seems to show more issues with this sort of thing, possibly the the ultra thin plating?

Associate
You could attach a sacrificial anode to the outside and connect it up via a wire so that the system steals electrons from that piece of metal rather than the pipes. You would just attach a metal with a lower potential voltage.

I've never actually done this but studied it and was apparently common on ships and pipes submerged in water.

Associate
You could attach a sacrificial anode to the outside and connect it up via a wire so that the system steals electrons from that piece of metal rather than the pipes. You would just attach a metal with a lower potential voltage.

I've never actually done this but studied it and was apparently common on ships and pipes submerged in water.

Yup.

Better yet, remove the two silver coils and make sure the loop has inhibitor and biocide, or use a premix with both. Problem solved.

Associate
OP
Yup.

Better yet, remove the two silver coils and make sure the loop has inhibitor and biocide, or use a premix with both. Problem solved.

I have bought some mayhems x1 clear and some new tubing. I cleaned the gpu block and didnt get all of it off but most of it, maybe 95% lol. If i add the pre mix will the state of the loop stay as it is, will there be a chance of anymore corrosion?

Associate
I have bought some mayhems x1 clear and some new tubing. I cleaned the gpu block and didnt get all of it off but most of it, maybe 95% lol. If i add the pre mix will the state of the loop stay as it is, will there be a chance of anymore corrosion?

Make sure you remove the silver coils. They will cause issues with nickle plated blocks as you have seen.
Clean up as best you can (toothpaste is good for this) and flush thoroughly to be sure the loop is clean.

Make sure you really flush the rad(s) completely. This is worth saying twice.

The x1 claims to protect against corrosion, scale and biological fouling of the loop so once everything is clean you should be set.

With the X1 i imagine everything should be good for a year or more depending on temps and sunlight etc.

Associate
OP
Make sure you remove the silver coils. They will cause issues with nickle plated blocks as you have seen.
Clean up as best you can (toothpaste is good for this) and flush thoroughly to be sure the loop is clean.

Make sure you really flush the rad(s) completely. This is worth saying twice.

The x1 claims to protect against corrosion, scale and biological fouling of the loop so once everything is clean you should be set.

With the X1 i imagine everything should be good for a year or more depending on temps and sunlight etc.

I have some mayhems blitz part 2 already mixed, it has been in a bottle in my room for about a year or so, i was planning on using that before using the x1, the bottle of the part 2 itself says to run it in the loop for 12 to 24 hours so i imagine that is enough for the cleaning. I already used my dedicated block cleaning solution(colgate whitening).

Associate
I have some mayhems blitz part 2 already mixed, it has been in a bottle in my room for about a year or so, i was planning on using that before using the x1, the bottle of the part 2 itself says to run it in the loop for 12 to 24 hours so i imagine that is enough for the cleaning. I already used my dedicated block cleaning solution(colgate whitening).

I don't know how good it is but i also run blitz part 2 through my loop overnight before adding the solution.

Associate
OP
Yup.

Got the block “cleaned” and flushed the loop with part 2, also rinsed with mayhems h20 and after putting it back together it didnt look like anything was actually cleaned lol. The gunk is gone from the gasket atleast. Now I have the x1 clear in there, maybe it will keep it at the condition that its in and not make it any worse.

Back
Top Bottom