Game of Thrones prequel House of the Dragon

Man of Honour
It's an excellent series. And the last season was awesome too. I have no idea what people got so het up about.

For me there was too much stuff which just went nowhere when it got to the last season which had obviously been intended to build up to something and it played fast and loose with a lot of stuff just shoving any old conclusion in.

Personally I don't find the older seasons stand up as well rewatching as my memory of the first time - I was totally hooked by them at the time. The mid seasons still stand up well for me though.

Capodecina
Soldato
For me there was too much stuff which just went nowhere when it got to the last season which had obviously been intended to build up to something and it played fast and loose with a lot of stuff just shoving any old conclusion in.

I'm with you that there was a lot of crash, bang, wallop at the end, but then it was building up towards a lot of crash, bang, wallop. Just as Return of the King was building up to the same thing.

Maybe it was the pacing that so many people reacted badly to. The other seasons were mid-paced whereas the final one just threw everything at you at once.

Caporegime
I'm looking forward to this, along with the prequel to the Sopranos.

Me too, also didn't know there was a Sopranos prequel.

Tbh.. though something like this is going to draw more direct comparisons with the original show - lots of characters, same setting etc.. I'd quite like to see instead, as a GoT prequel, the Dunk and Egg books be made into a TV series (this was due to happen too IIRC), that would be a slightly different sort of show as its focused on two characters and is more of an adventure type story than the multiple plots etc... of the original GoT.

Man of Honour
I'm with you that there was a lot of crash, bang, wallop at the end, but then it was building up towards a lot of crash, bang, wallop. Just as Return of the King was building up to the same thing.

Maybe it was the pacing that so many people reacted badly to. The other seasons were mid-paced whereas the final one just threw everything at you at once.
I agree with your sentiment - after a lot of talk and plotting, it was a big ‘brawl’ to resolve it all, as promised. The increase in progression of the plot was quite welcome in my view. If there was much more meandering it may have got stale. But it never really got a chance to. It was always progressing to an ‘end game’ and I’m glad it did before it otherwise faltered. I also think I wanted to enjoy it, which helped a lot as with everything.

For what it’s worth, I dislike shows that go on and on without resolution and without high stakes. The stakes in season 8 were soooo high, maybe more so than any other show I’ve seen, anything could happen... so it was compelling viewing right to the end, for me.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Like many others, the way GoT went out has killed my interest in a prequel. There are some big at the time shows which are so good I would watch them through time and time again (Band of Brothers for example, which is so amazing every time that I watch it) but there are others which climaxed so poorly that I simply have no inclination to ever view them again (such as Lost for example) , unfortunately GoT could have been in the BoB category but ended up being in the Lost category

Soldato
Me too, also didn't know there was a Sopranos prequel.

James Gandolfini's son is actually playing the role of a young Tony in it, he's the spitting image of his father tbh.

Looking forward to seeing it.

As for GoT, any genuine interest I might have had for more of it was killed by the way the original show was handled in the last couple of seasons.

Back
Top Bottom