Gamepass questions, do I need it, and...

Associate
Dont care about older games.
Starting now, will NEW games be released "on game pass" that I will be able to play on my PC, only if I have game pass?

Im mainly interested getting games on steam for PC.
Occassionally buy games through another game launcher.
I have no interest in free games that come with a monthly fee... because Im happy to buy carefully selected games, like to keep them, like to avoid monthly fees.

Will NEW games be developed/released that cannot be bought through steam or other launchers, which can only be experienced for the first time through game pass?

Not sure I want game pass (dont know enough about it) I dont want to subscribe to play games.

Associate
OP
+ I have no draw to play free games, because time is prescious and Im happy supporting developers to pay to play only games that are of specific interest to me.

Soldato
Will NEW games be developed/released that cannot be bought through steam or other launchers, which can only be experienced for the first time through game pass?

Probably not. Microsoft, at least for now, is releasing their games on gamepass as well as on Steam. They want to keep goodwill, so it is likely it will stay that way, at least for the foreseeable future.

Associate
OP
Probably not. Microsoft, at least for now, is releasing their games on gamepass as well as on Steam. They want to keep goodwill, so it is likely it will stay that way, at least for the foreseeable future.
Im moving more and more into the "if its not on steam, im going not going to bother with it" camp.
Im wondering what co-relation between xbox games, the name xbox game pass, and PC games is.
Xbox games pass seems like.... a pc games launcher, to play titles previously released on xbox, then?
Im not sure I understand it well enough to define it.
As I dont want a monthly subscription, and new games are not locked to it, I can give it a swerve, I guess.

Associate
T
Im moving more and more into the "if its not on steam, im going not going to bother with it" camp.
Im wondering what co-relation between xbox games, the name xbox game pass, and PC games is.
Xbox games pass seems like.... a pc games launcher, to play titles previously released on xbox, then?
As I dont want a monthly subscription, and new games are not locked to it, I can give it a swerve, I guess.

I think you could be limiting yourself to better deals rather than trying to focus on a single platform, It's not like you can't simply add non-Steam games to the launcher either if you only want everything in one place. Epic store for example I've bought 2 games from, yet have about 36 in my library from simply logging in once a week to claim a free game, some of which I've had a good time with.

Games pass is fantastic value for money for what it gives, a mix of older games, recent, and new releases make up the roster. New MS/Xbox games will appear on there from launch, whereas there could be a delay on the other stores and they will most likely be full price. Yes games do leave and you won't be able to access them, but with the work the MS is putting in it seems geared up to just get better and better. Examples would be the a big bunch of the EA games collection from Origin now being included, or Bethesda recently putting all of their games on there.

Obviously it's pretty subjective to what kind of games you like to play and if there is enough on there to keep you coming back, but when you take into account how cheap you can get it (literally a couple of quid a month at the most if you buy in bulk with a few tricks), you really only need to play one or two of the recent games or maybe a single new release to get your moneys worth for the year, everything else is a bonus.

Soldato

"Gamepass for PC" is a subscription service that uses "Gamepass app" to deliver the games through.
There are no Gamepass exclusive games.

That said, there are probably over 150 games on gamepass. I paid 120 bucks and got it for almost three years subscribed. So it will save me quite a lot of money, considering that every MS game will be there on day one.

Associate
OP
Thanks Parky and Paul.
Will elder scrolls 6 will be available as a standalone pc purchase?

The reason I download a game when all my research led me to that game, as being THE game which will make me happiest, more than any other available game right now/today.
I carefully hand pick and only play games I feel are very most fun I can have.
My wishlist is small.

Sure, I like sales/good deals.
Im not keen on downloading games that are not at the VERY top of my carefully created wishlist of games which feel need to meet the criteria "This is the most fun I think i can find/buy/download"
So, Im selective. I want my time to be spent playing only my very favourite games.

Associate
You can bet Elder Scrolls 6 will almost certainly also be retail with multiple special editions as well as a being on Gamepass.

Soldato
I don't see gamepass-exclusive games happening anytime soon... it doesn't make any real sense to do so.

I think gamepass is a great thing, but for time-poor adults perhaps not so much. If you have kids or a decent amount of gaming time it's a no brainer and great value.

Soldato
Thanks Parky and Paul.
Will elder scrolls 6 will be available as a standalone pc purchase?

The reason I download a game when all my research led me to that game, as being THE game which will make me happiest, more than any other available game right now/today.
I carefully hand pick and only play games I feel are very most fun I can have.
My wishlist is small.

Im not keen on downloading games that are not at the VERY top of my carefully created wishlist of games which feel need to meet the criteria "This is the most fun I think i can find/buy/download"
So, Im selective. I want my time to be spent playing only my very favourite games.

It's 3-4 years away at best, no-one knows what the gaming landscaspe will look like by then, and it could be a load of ******** live service trash game for all we know, the Bethesada that made SKYRIM is long dead.

Associate

I don't think GamePass is for you at the moment. If a game does appear exclusively on GamePass in the future which you want then that is the point in which you can jump in (and perhaps just for the time required to play that game).

I'm signed up to GamePass because I want to spend my time playing rather than researching games. For instance, I'm currently playing Wreckfest and Final Fantasy VII. I've recently tried (and bounced off) The Outer Worlds, The Gardens Between and Children of Morta. All significantly different games and ones which I thought I would like. I don't have buyers remorse even though I didn't get on with them.

Soldato
Given the price of game pass, and depending on your gaming habits, it may be worth looking into cheap codes. If you tend to binge games, and not play them again for years, then 2-4 weeks of game pass could be enough for you to play a game to it's entirety, and for far less than buying the game.

Soldato
If you try to avoid monthly fees then gamepass is not for you. You can buy most games that are on gamepass with 1-2 months worth of the subscription and they are yours forever.

Soldato
Best tip:

Use: https://www.cdkeys.com/

Example:

Homeworld 1 and 2: Remastered

STEAM: £26.99

CD KEYS: £1.69

This is the real solid advice.

I haven't bought a game directly through Steam in years. Games are often significantly cheaper elsewhere and with a launcher like GOG Galaxy, who cares where you get your games from as they'll ultimately be in the same launcher

Permabanned
I personally pulled the trigger on Game Pass for PC for a year after trying it for 3 months (£1 offer for 3 months). I've paid around £39 for a year, as there are a few games included in the game pass which I've started playing.

Anthem, Titanfall 2, Star Wars game, Doom Eternal, etc

For those games alone I'm already getting my money's worth and then some. Depends on what type of games you play or plan on trying, it might or not be worth it.

Remember that you can get it for cheap by combining 1/6/12 months of Xbox Live + 7 days of Ultimate and converts 1:1.

Soldato
My gamepass ultimate sub is due to run out in a few days, i dont have an xbox anymore so only need pc gamepass, any idea the best way to do this? i had 3 years stacked before so its a bit of an unknown scenario moving to just regular gamepass for pc.

Soldato
My gamepass ultimate sub is due to run out in a few days, i dont have an xbox anymore so only need pc gamepass, any idea the best way to do this? i had 3 years stacked before so its a bit of an unknown scenario moving to just regular gamepass for pc.

I think the process is exactly the same as before but you must wait for your current sub to run out otherwise instead of the full 3 years you get a few months if i'm not mistaken. So sub runs out, Buy 3 years gold, add gold to account, buy 1 month gamepass for pc only (cdkeys etc) for £1.99 and when you add that to your account you'll get an option to update your 3 year gold to gamepass for PC (but ultimate for 1 month is £3 so your not saving much if your going for PC game pass only)

Associate
I think the process is exactly the same as before but you must wait for your current sub to run out otherwise instead of the full 3 years you get a few months if i'm not mistaken. So sub runs out, Buy 3 years gold, add gold to account, buy 1 month gamepass for pc only (cdkeys etc) for £1.99 and when you add that to your account you'll get an option to update your 3 year gold to gamepass for PC (but ultimate for 1 month is £3 so your not saving much if your going for PC game pass only)
For the potential to use cloud gaming for a couple of extra quid, assuming you have a controller still, i'd pick up the ultimate tbh. I didn't think i'd end up using it, but I've been playing Escape Academy with my family on the tv in the living room on it and it's been good enough to have a laugh and do the challenges.

Back
Top Bottom