Gamers, What's Your Audio Set Up?

Associate
PC USB out to:
Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2
Wyred 4 Sound W4S STP-SE Preamp
Mjolnir Audio Octave III
Monoprice THX AAA 887
La Figaro 339

I have a few more headphone amps but they are on the shelf not being used at this time, along with a couple more DACs and such.

uj6BaMt.jpg

Soldato
Wow looks great @WhiteNoise !

I don't suppose anyone knows the best way to mix PC, TV and maybe even console audio? I'm trying to find an all in one solution but just don't know what sort of device to look at.

It gets more complicated when you try to add the console into the mix being Dolby Atmos and only carried over HDMI/USB (I think?) on the Xbox Series X.

Associate
Now that setup has just got to sound amazing. How are the Koss electrostatics out of the Mjolnir? Got to be a nice step up from the stock Koss offering.

Without a doubt a BIG step up from Koss's offering. My favorite headphones are my STAX but I use the Koss headphones more than anything as my cheapo (I don't care if I drop them) cans. Decent sounding cans made better by custom cushions and a good amp.

Associate
I don't suppose anyone knows the best way to mix PC, TV and maybe even console audio? I'm trying to find an all in one solution but just don't know what sort of device to look at.

It gets more complicated when you try to add the console into the mix being Dolby Atmos and only carried over HDMI/USB (I think?) on the Xbox Series X.

My old Creative Soundblaster X7 did precisely that and allowed me to play audio from USB, Optical and BT at the same time. I've now got a Creative SBX G6 and that should allow for Optical and USB input to be played at the same time (according to Reddit) but I've not personally done it yet. I think the issue with most DAC/AMPs is that they often have physical switches for inputs thereby not allowing you to play two sources at once. There may also be a way to use an audio mixer but that isn't something I've got any experience with.

With regards to the Xbox Series S|X the only USB devices that work with Xbox Series are licenced; i.e. SteelSeries Arctis 7X (USB Dongle), Astro MixAmp etc. There is no support for USB Audio Class 1 or 2 DAC/AMPs.

One solution is to use HDMI to your TV, then Optical Out to a DAC/AMP which will work for Dolby Atmos for Headphones. I think a lot of people confuse the fact Optical won't support Dolby Atmos, with the Windows-based 3D software (Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos for Headphones & DTS Headphone X) that works with any stereo headphones and is just an upmixed stereo signal.

If you do use your TV's Optical Out, it then means you are only dealing with two inputs for the DAC/AMP (TV & PC) although atm Sony's PS5 won't support their Tempest 3D audio over HDMI. Only USB or the Dual Sense controller.

PS. that setup above ^ is amazing.

Soldato
My old Creative Soundblaster X7 did precisely that and allowed me to play audio from USB, Optical and BT at the same time. I've now got a Creative SBX G6 and that should allow for Optical and USB input to be played at the same time (according to Reddit) but I've not personally done it yet. I think the issue with most DAC/AMPs is that they often have physical switches for inputs thereby not allowing you to play two sources at once. There may also be a way to use an audio mixer but that isn't something I've got any experience with.

With regards to the Xbox Series S|X the only USB devices that work with Xbox Series are licenced; i.e. SteelSeries Arctis 7X (USB Dongle), Astro MixAmp etc. There is no support for USB Audio Class 1 or 2 DAC/AMPs.

One solution is to use HDMI to your TV, then Optical Out to a DAC/AMP which will work for Dolby Atmos for Headphones. I think a lot of people confuse the fact Optical won't support Dolby Atmos, with the Windows-based 3D software (Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos for Headphones & DTS Headphone X) that works with any stereo headphones and is just an upmixed stereo signal.

If you do use your TV's Optical Out, it then means you are only dealing with two inputs for the DAC/AMP (TV & PC) although atm Sony's PS5 won't support their Tempest 3D audio over HDMI. Only USB or the Dual Sense controller.

PS. that setup above ^ is amazing.

This is absolutely wonderful, thanks so much for the information it's really helpful.

Out of interest how come you changed from the Creative Soundblaster X7 to the Creative SBX G6? Just wondering which one I should be looking at.

Associate
This is absolutely wonderful, thanks so much for the information it's really helpful.

Out of interest how come you changed from the Creative Soundblaster X7 to the Creative SBX G6? Just wondering which one I should be looking at.

No worries.

I had the X7 for about 2.5yrs until late last year. It was great, just with the new consoles dropping optical and me spending less time gaming on PC I wanted to switch to a stronger DAC/AMP for all round usage. I decided on the Fiio K5 Pro but as I was buying it, Black Friday hit and then I saw a really good deal for the SoundBlasterX G6 which I went for. So I ended up with two new DAC/AMPs at the same time.

My K5 Pro is setup in the office connected to some speakers and the PC, TV and MiSTer. And then the G6 is mostly with the Laptop when it isn't in the office. So it gives me a more dynamic and mobile solution particularly if I want to have a soundcard for VSS. Also the G6 will work over USB with the PS5 for when I get one - which is another plus point.

Both are great DAC/AMPs and tbh even when I had all 3 lined up (before I sold the X7) there wasn't much between them.

The X7 is a fairly unique device. It has better connectivity, ability to drive passive speakers, dedicated power, mobile app or Bluetooth. However the G6 is cheaper and newer. The X7 is an aging device which is one negative against it. Creative also have their recently introduced GC7 and X4 which both have Optical In but I've not got experience of those. So it depends on what you want and setup, however it's hard not to recommend the G6 given its versatility and price.

Associate
Took me a while but I'm really happy with my voice recording setup now.

Shure SM7B -> Cloudlifter -> dbx 286s -> Yamaha AG-06 usb interface

Associate
I watch a lot of movies through my PC so I have a big 5.1 system I'm quite proud of, comes in very handy for games that make use of surround too.

HDMI out from the GPU goes to a Denon AVR 1910
That powers the 5 main speakers which are 4x Behringer B215XL and a B&W centre (soon to be upgraded to a Klipsch RP-600C).
I have very large open baffle subs (thread https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=166214.0 with pics and measurements), 4x 18" drivers (Stereo Integrity HT18), 105dB at 16Hz, makes the whole room shake.
Subs are powered by a Behringer Inuke NU4-6000.
I also have a BK concert bass shaker powered by an Inuke NU-1000. This runs of the same input as the subs for movies, for supported driving/racing games it is fed from SimHub (great bit of software)

I use EqAPO software equalizer on the PC. Using a UMIK-1 measurement microphone (and after much research and trial & error) I have made all phase/timing and room correction adjustments manually which has had fantastic results. The mic also works very well on a tripod for normal voice chat in games.

I never use headphones, I don't like the lack of proper surround sound and I never found a pair that were comfortable for more than an hour or two. Still get a lot of comments off my gaming friends telling me I need to buy headphones for online FPS (e.g. tarkov) where use of sound cues is important. I used to argue that my sound setup is superior to headphones but now I just ignore them.

Associate
Bloody hell @Ormy1 Thats a PA system not a gaming setup :cry::cry::cry:

I expect people can tell what your doing from half a mile away if you crank that up. With ear defenders on.

I'm hoping to do a few upgrades on my rig in the very near future.

Currently have my Creative AE-9 sound connected with QED cables to a Pioneer SC-LX72 receiver. Fronts are B&W DM601 S3, Centre is B&W HTM62 and rears are Logitech Z5500 surrounds. Sub is Logitech Z5500.

Had the DM601's from new (20yrs) and got the HTM62 for a good price on gumtree 10 years ago. For a long time I had them connected to the Z5500 directly thanks to it not using captive cables and it was a huge step up from the original speakers. Browsing on gumtree again 4 years ago I found the Pioneer and got it for what felt like robbery at £100.

I've got a pair of ATC SCM 11 speakers and a REL T5/x subwoofer comming next Saturday for a week long loan from Audio-T in Cardiff. Main purpose is to see how good/bad the Logitech sub is and find out if I'm missing anything by hanging on to the B&W's. I'm also on the lookout for new satellites. Need to be small due to their current location so I'm keeping and eye on ebay and may get some B&W M1's which should do the job nicely.

I'm with you on the headphones front. I'm fine using them for hours if travelling but at home, unless its late at night and people are sleeping nearby then its the "big rig" or nothing.

Soldato
Whats a good gigaworks T40ii replacement?

i want a 2.1 system as im abit limited on space. Theres so much choice i really dont know which to get.

G560?
Soundblaster katana?
Edifiers?

whats your suggestions? Budget £200-£250

Soldato
My dell ultrashap monitor does not have speakers so i use a soundbar by JBL and in a small room its quite good i feel.

nothing like higher end set ups but good enough for me

works great with my TV also for movies

Associate
Mines very simple and sounds amazing:

SoundblasterX AE-5

Beyerdynamics DT990 250ohm stereo headphones

ModMic 4 for Comms (plugged into a Sabrent USB soundcard) becu for some reason the mod mic always has background noise when used with a 3.5mm audio input, no idea why but everyone has the same problem and the Sabrent USB sound card fixes it.

Positional audio and soundstage in games is very very good and being 250ohm the sound is very 'full'.

Soldato
OP
Is anyone here using software only for their virtual surround sound? My Creative G6 has given up the ghost and I was thinking of replacing it with the Schiit Hel 2E, so was wondering if any of the VSS programs are any use these days.

Associate
Is anyone here using software only for their virtual surround sound?
I 've gone from using SBX a lot (just the surround part) on my old SB X7 and G6 DAC/AMPs to using either plain stereo (PC), Dolby Atmos for Headphones (Xbox) or Tempest 3D (PS5).

Part of that is just the way I've gone from a PC for gaming to being more a console gamer these days. I think on the few games that use it 3D audio does offer something over VSS. That said I think the G6 is still better than software solutions for VSS and if you play lots of competitive online FPS games the G6 (or a Mixamp) can help. I do have two DAC/AMPs (G6 and K5 Pro) so always have the option of using SBX but for a while I haven't used it. So I have no problem just using a stereo DAC/AMP.

Soldato
OP
I 've gone from using SBX a lot (just the surround part) on my old SB X7 and G6 DAC/AMPs to using either plain stereo (PC), Dolby Atmos for Headphones (Xbox) or Tempest 3D (PS5).

Part of that is just the way I've gone from a PC for gaming to being more a console gamer these days. I think on the few games that use it 3D audio does offer something over VSS. That said I think the G6 is still better than software solutions for VSS and if you play lots of competitive online FPS games the G6 (or a Mixamp) can help. I do have two DAC/AMPs (G6 and K5 Pro) so always have the option of using SBX but for a while I haven't used it. So I have no problem just using a stereo DAC/AMP.
Thanks. I may try and pick up another G6, maybe B stock as I do mostly game on PC (although nothing too competitive). I have a PS5 but mostly use it for single player games. Part of my interest in the Hel was probably just wanting something new to play with. :o

Back
Top Bottom