Gamers, What's Your Audio Set Up?

Now settled on a Schiit Hel 2 on PC and a Qudelix 5k on PS5 - Using a set of Aune AR5000 open backed headphones with the Meze plug in boom mic. Love this combination :)

Was reading/researching the Aune AR5000 the other day. That sound profile does sound right up my ally. I have been fighting off the temptation to buy the HD 600 even though I have HD 650/58X already because I have really got into that sound. I suspect the Aune would be better choice with some nice differences.

Now settled on a Schiit Hel 2 on PC and a Qudelix 5k on PS5 - Using a set of Aune AR5000 open backed headphones with the Meze plug in boom mic. Love this combination :)

How is the Qudelix for PS5? I heard the G6 isn't too great on it? Also, the AR5000 look interesting, How do they compare to the Beyer T1?

How is the Qudelix for PS5? I heard the G6 isn't too great on it? Also, the AR5000 look interesting, How do they compare to the Beyer T1?

I know you asked @WhiteHartMart but personally I would rank it very highly on PS5. The cleanest and best of the DAC/AMPs I've used because it doesn't suffer from the 15db dropoff that virtually all other DAC/AMPs do. Mic input is clean but I don't know if it's the best. My only complaint is that it is quite dinky and therefore the buttons are very small for quick volume adjustment. That said I'm a huge fan of the Qudelix 5K. Been an absolute eye opener for potable listening or using with PC from time to time. Very versatile and the app is something else. You can change virtually any aspect of the sound or use the fantastic community uploads for EQing any headphones.

I think the SBX G6 is generally well regarded for PS6. I didn't like using it over USB with the PS5 and hated how it made the DT 770 (250ohm) sound. It will have issues with the mic input but that's again to do with the way USB works on the PS4/5. And again it does have that volume dropoff so you have to use amplification more, but on easy to drive stuff most people aren't going to notice.

I know you asked @WhiteHartMart but personally I would rank it very highly on PS5. The cleanest and best of the DAC/AMPs I've used because it doesn't suffer from the 15db dropoff that virtually all other DAC/AMPs do. Mic input is clean but I don't know if it's the best. My only complaint is that it is quite dinky and therefore the buttons are very small for quick volume adjustment. That said I'm a huge fan of the Qudelix 5K. Been an absolute eye opener for potable listening or using with PC from time to time. Very versatile and the app is something else. You can change virtually any aspect of the sound or use the fantastic community uploads for EQing any headphones.

I think the SBX G6 is generally well regarded for PS6. I didn't like using it over USB with the PS5 and hated how it made the DT 770 (250ohm) sound. It will have issues with the mic input but that's again to do with the way USB works on the PS4/5. And again it does have that volume dropoff so you have to use amplification more, but on easy to drive stuff most people aren't going to notice.
Sums up my thoughts exactly also - G6 Mic input wasn't great sounding to me on PS5 - Qudelix is much better from my testing in that regard. If they made a small desktop version on the 5k it would sit proudly on my AV rack permanently attached to my PS5 - as it is the 5k is at risk of bein misplaced here as I use it in so many ways!

As for the Aune AR5000 - I absolutely love them, probably not as revealing as those T1 though. However, I'd sum them up as reminding me of the HD6xx I had but with the added soundstage size. They just hit the spot perfectly for my taste and are incredibly comfortable also. They've pretty much relegated all the other headphones I've used for gaming to the for sale pot! Tygr R don't come close for gaming in to my ears and I've sold my HD660s2 as the Aune meet my needs better for Music.

Sums up my thoughts exactly also - G6 Mic input wasn't great sounding to me on PS5 - Qudelix is much better from my testing in that regard. If they made a small desktop version on the 5k it would sit proudly on my AV rack permanently attached to my PS5 - as it is the 5k is at risk of bein misplaced here as I use it in so many ways!

As for the Aune AR5000 - I absolutely love them, probably not as revealing as those T1 though. However, I'd sum them up as reminding me of the HD6xx I had but with the added soundstage size. They just hit the spot perfectly for my taste and are incredibly comfortable also. They've pretty much relegated all the other headphones I've used for gaming to the for sale pot! Tygr R don't come close for gaming in to my ears and I've sold my HD660s2 as the Aune meet my needs better for Music.
Fair play, I may have to give them a shot in the future.
Qudelix is still on my radar too.

my Steelseries nova pro arrived today have to say am really impressed, very comfortable and decent enough ANC for gaming (although i prefer ANC off), and sounds pretty nice to me however am no audiophile.

dont think i could ever go back to wired headphones even if they would potentially sound better.

my Steelseries nova pro arrived today have to say am really impressed, very comfortable and decent enough ANC for gaming (although i prefer ANC off), and sounds pretty nice to me however am no audiophile.

dont think i could ever go back to wired headphones even if they would potentially sound better.
Funnily enough I'm doing the complete opposite. I love my wireless headset but a few years back I moved back to a wired mouse with bungee, away from an AIO to a Noctua fan heatsink and now taking the plunge and going for a pair of Sennheiser HD 560 S with a Fiio K11 Dac/Amp. It'll be my first semi audiophile set up so no idea what I'm doing but i'm sure i'll figure it out. Return of the cables my side.

Funnily enough I'm doing the complete opposite. I love my wireless headset but a few years back I moved back to a wired mouse with bungee, away from an AIO to a Noctua fan heatsink and now taking the plunge and going for a pair of Sennheiser HD 560 S with a Fiio K11 Dac/Amp. It'll be my first semi audiophile set up so no idea what I'm doing but i'm sure i'll figure it out. Return of the cables my side.

Cables do probably sound better but I am more than content with using wireless, when I had a full blown desktop I used to have a dedicated sound card (the EVGA one) and a pair of HD599s which is probably the best sounding setup iv'e used but I just love the freedom of wireless (and wireless headsets did not sound anywhere near as good back then), but to be honest the 599's would sound decent with anything and even just plugged into the back of a pc or laptop.

Cables do probably sound better but I am more than content with using wireless, when I had a full blown desktop I used to have a dedicated sound card (the EVGA one) and a pair of HD599s which is probably the best sounding setup iv'e used but I just love the freedom of wireless (and wireless headsets did not sound anywhere near as good back then), but to be honest the 599's would sound decent with anything and even just plugged into the back of a pc or laptop.
How are the Nova Pros? that was my go to if I hadn't gone down this route

Have now added a set of Astro A50 Gen 5 to my setup (still have the wired option also) - mainly added these for the convenience, being able to switch between PS5, Xbox and PC easily but also because they work incredibly well for work meetings - the mic is absolutely top notch (for a headset!). Have downloaded an EQ from the Logitech G desktop software also which aims to mimic/follow the Harmon Curve and with this, they actually sound pretty great - really good for directional cues on something like XDefiant too :)

Looks like Schiit have discontinued the Hel and replaced it with the Gunnr. Tempted to give it a go out of curiosity rather than necessity.
It certainly looks interesting. Wouldn't mind giving it a try also.

It would likely be better to order from the USA, It's showing as €330 on Schitt EU (Not on UK website) plus you get 2 years extra warranty from USA.

Last edited:
It certainly looks interesting. Wouldn't mind giving it a try also.

It would likely be better to order from the USA, It's showing as €330 on Schitt EU (Not on UK website) plus you get 2 years extra warranty from USA.
Looks pretty good that if you need a mic in as well. Optical input is a big plus vs Magni Unity. I would guess you'd still get the 3 year warranty from the UK reseller as you do with the Magni.

Looks pretty good that if you need a mic in as well. Optical input is a big plus vs Magni Unity. I would guess you'd still get the 3 year warranty from the UK reseller as you do with the Magni.
It would mainly be for PS5 or using my gaming laptop. My G6 got relegated to those devices when I got an Asguard and modius setup instead.

Nothing wrong with my G6 really, just fancy a change. I think I was put off the Hel 2 due to the power requirements.

I'm going to imagine the UK store will be roughly £330. What would import taxes be on $229? Shipping calculated at $42.

Edit: looks like it would work out around £251 with delivery, import duty and taxes plus an additional 2 year warranty. Not bad.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see the reviews of the new Gynnr although I'm sure it will review very well. The problem will be most of those reviews won't be from videogamers actually using the device.

The big issue for PS5 use, or specifically USB input for 3D audio, will be whether the device has 'hardware volume control' when used with PS5 which means the volume will be limited by 50% or -15.75db. It'll need to have the host volume override feature Qudelix 5K has to work at its best with Sony's console. To this day it's virtually impossible to confirm if the Hel2/e has this feature which along with the cost and UK distribution has been the main reason I've never bought one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom