Gamers, What's Your Audio Set Up?

Tried both, and both are very poor - both affect sound quality :(. Was going back and forth with creative cs but can't get genuine replacements anymore.
Ah Ok that explains it. Unfortunately pad swapping can sometimes be for the worse.

I suspect around here the Audeze Maxwell is going to be recommended as it is very well regarded as a wireless headset. I think the only issue may be the weight of it. Unfortunately as someone not really in to wireless I'm not sure about other options.

Still have them for music listening and occasional gaming :)
You need an intervention :p

Tbh I hadn't realised that Beyerdynamic had an open version of the MMX 300 Pro, particularly given that all the early reviews were just on the closed-back version.

Did a quick search to find one Youtube video on the new open-back. Doesn't help that Beyerdynamic don't have direct distribution in the UK and there is still the older model hanging around in inventory.

I kinda of hoped with the new DT 770 Pro LE and MMX 300/330 Pro that Beyer might be working on an updated TYGR built on the same Stellar driver. The TYGR were by far and away the best tuning of the three Beyer's I owned and I suppose the new 330 Pro open-back would be right up my street. The other advantage of the MMX 330 Pro versus something like the Aune is the known durability and ease of replacement parts.

Last edited:

Tbh I hadn't realised that Beyerdynamic had an open version of the MMX 300 Pro, particularly given that all the early reviews were just on the closed-back version.

Did a quick search to find one Youtube video on the new open-back. Doesn't help that Beyerdynamic don't have direct distribution in the UK and there is still the older model hanging around in inventory.

I kinda of hoped with the new DT 770 Pro LE and MMX 300/330 Pro that Beyer might be working on an updated TYGR built on the same Stellar driver. The TYGR were by far and away the best tuning of the three Beyer's I owned and I suppose the new 300 Pro open-back would be right up my street. The other advantage of the MMX 330 Pro versus something like the Aune is the known durability and ease of replacement parts.
Loved the Tygr also - still have mine too.

The MMX330 Pro is a bit leaner sounding in the bass on first impressions compared to the Tygr (might need a bit more A-B testing to be sure) but for me it suits my fps gaming even better. An open backed Beyer with attached mic (which can be moved out of the way) is a dream combo for me really. Love the Aune also but any plug in boom mic always gets in the way when I'm trying to eat while working :p The 330 seems easy to drive to - both PS5 and Xbox controllers do fine. Will be using mine with Qudelix and Schiit options mentioned more though :)

I kinda of hoped with the new DT 770 Pro LE and MMX 300/330 Pro that Beyer might be working on an updated TYGR built on the same Stellar driver. The TYGR were by far and away the best tuning of the three Beyer's I owned and I suppose the new 330 Pro open-back would be right up my street. The other advantage of the MMX 330 Pro versus something like the Aune is the known durability and ease of replacement parts.
Have you stumbled across any more reviews of the Gunnr on PS5 yet?

I've read it works straight off the bat and compatible with the 3D audio PS5 can mimic. Not sure about the dB cap.

Last edited:
Have you stumbled across any more reviews of the Gunnr on PS5 yet?

I've read it works straight off the bat and compatible with the 3D audio PS5 can mimic. Not sure about the dB cap.

Afraid not. All of the reviews/forums impression are very PC focused. And leave out some details. Tbh I never managed to find an answer to this with the older Hel or Fulla models (possibly made more complex by the different revisions; micro USB, AKM, ESS chips etc.).

I think it was always going to be a good product and absolutely work with PS5 out of the gate - i.e. anything that plugs in via USB will have access to Sony's 3D audio. The thing has so much power on it that I don't anyone is going to notice the 50%/15.75db dropoff if they just plug it into PS5. Basically the way that everyone on the internet seems to state that the SBX G6 works perfectly with the PS5 without mentioning volume drop-off or mic issues.

The bigger problems that tended to come up with the Hel were QC and latency. And I 'think' the Gunnr resolves the latter.

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for @WhiteHartMart to get a Gunnr and then politely ask him to test the volume on PC vs PS5 :p

Afraid not. All of the reviews/forums impression are very PC focused. And leave out some details. Tbh I never managed to find an answer to this with the older Hel or Fulla models (possibly made more complex by the different revisions; micro USB, AKM, ESS chips etc.).

I think it was always going to be a good product and absolutely work with PS5 out of the gate - i.e. anything that plugs in via USB will have access to Sony's 3D audio. The thing has so much power on it that I don't anyone is going to notice the 50%/15.75db dropoff if they just plug it into PS5. Basically the way that everyone on the internet seems to state that the SBX G6 works perfectly with the PS5 without mentioning volume drop-off or mic issues.

The bigger problems that tended to come up with the Hel were QC and latency. And I 'think' the Gunnr resolves the latter.

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for @WhiteHartMart to get a Gunnr and then politely ask him to test the volume on PC vs PS5 :p
I have asked the question on a couple of reddit posts where people are specificially discussing the Gunnr for PS5. I'll perhaps create my own thread and see what the consesus is. But when you see posts regarding other Amp/Dac setups working 'flawlessly' it makes you wonder. Maybe with the Schiit subreddit being more audiophile based, Answers may be clearer. Who knows.

I have asked the question on a couple of reddit posts where people are specificially discussing the Gunnr for PS5. I'll perhaps create my own thread and see what the consesus is. But when you see posts regarding other Amp/Dac setups working 'flawlessly' it makes you wonder. Maybe with the Schiit subreddit being more audiophile based, Answers may be clearer. Who knows.

Hopefully and nice one. Will also respond if I do pick up on something.

Although I think most people are just oblivious to it so it really impacts getting informed responses to the question. And I do think this fits into an even wider issue of people not really understanding the implications of Sony & Microsoft dropping an open audio standard for headphone audio (cue the 'no one uses optical anymore' or 'just us your TV's optical' responses when the ninth-gen consoles came out 4 years ago). And also not understanding or computing in some cases this can result in worse fidelity or compromised audio versus even their predecessors consoles, i.e. audio induced delays on 5.1 DD VSS if that was your thing on PS4/XBO. The only Youtube videos that I've seen address the PS5's audio issues are; Gigaboots - very small YT'er who picked up on the problem and that aforementioned Hardware Canucks video. It's also come up on Resetera and NeoGAF a number of times but again most are oblivious to the issue.

Don't tempt me anymore - I'm so close to getting a Gunnr as my Hel 2+ is is bit hit and miss when connecting to the PS5 - I've moved it to my PC now instead and use the Qudelix on the PS5 - the Gunnr would look nice on the AV rack though :p

Don't tempt me anymore - I'm so close to getting a Gunnr as my Hel 2+ is is bit hit and miss when connecting to the PS5 - I've moved it to my PC now instead and use the Qudelix on the PS5 - the Gunnr would look nice on the AV rack though :p

I knew it!

Tbf the connection issues with the Hel/Hel2 do seem to be a issue that's raised on PS5, particularly on reddit. I've even seen people encounter on PC but the advantage is you can obviously make changes to the software or drivers to help resolve the problem.

This looks interesting for console (and PC) users. Had the G6 for years and enjoyed it - this seems a good value solution provided audio stacks up.

Yep, very intriguing. Interesting as we hit the holiday season these more interesting products start dropping. The obvious plus points sticking out are that eARC HDMI input (first for a headphone DAC/AMP?), the 1ohms headphone output impedance, separate USB-C power input, more powerful amp and it being on their newer Creative App (not Command software like the G6).

Questions that springs to mind; can the G8 pass through VSS-encoded audio (same as the G6, GC7 can't do this) and whether you'll be able to connect to it via BT to make adjustments via the mobile app, so as not to need to connect to a PC (something the GC7 does well).

The G6 was a unicorn product. Able to go toe-to-toe with more expensive DAC/AMPs. I think if this can reproduce some of that magic then it could be a killer product for Creative. Annoyingly I bought a GC7 not long ago but at this price it feels like this will be a no brainer to replace it.

Yep, very intriguing. Interesting as we hit the holiday season these more interesting products start dropping. The obvious plus points sticking out are that eARC HDMI input (first for a headphone DAC/AMP?), the 1ohms headphone output impedance, separate USB-C power input, more powerful amp and it being on their newer Creative App (not Command software like the G6).

Questions that springs to mind; can the G8 pass through VSS-encoded audio (same as the G6, GC7 can't do this) and whether you'll be able to connect to it via BT to make adjustments via the mobile app, so as not to need to connect to a PC (something the GC7 does well).

The G6 was a unicorn product. Able to go toe-to-toe with more expensive DAC/AMPs. I think if this can reproduce some of that magic then it could be a killer product for Creative. Annoyingly I bought a GC7 not long ago but at this price it feels like this will be a no brainer to replace it.
I’d imagine the mobile app will work as the product page on their website has the Apple and Google Store logos as part of the features overview. £130 seems good value at this stage.

Ok I was wrong, everyone who has replied to my post don't really understand the volume issue mentioned.
Hope its OK but I've added a post, maybe way too long or detailed but to try and see if anyone comes back with anything. The thing that is in the Fulla, Hel & Gunnr's favour is that very few seem to complain about volume in relation when using on the PS4/5 which may be indicative of it not being impacted.
I’d imagine the mobile app will work as the product page on their website has the Apple and Google Store logos as part of the features overview. £130 seems good value at this stage.
Hopefully. This is a massive plus on the GC7, where you don't have to connect it to a PC if you want to update presets, or something. That said even without this ability the new G8 looks exciting.

The App was the main reason I bought a G3 and that was to make adjustments in the PS4. It's not got a lot of grunt behind it though. The app was a pain, it wouldn't hold settings very well.

Back
Top Bottom