Games that outstay their welcome?

Soldato
Dungeon crawl loot games like Torchlight and Titan Quest, they are always great to start with, acquiring better gear etc, but you reach that point where better gear is meaningless and just having slightly different enemies with just more hit points becomes a chore and you just want it to end. 60 hours is a common theme for this to kick in it seems.

Associate
So this is about games you initially thought were good, but then went on and on and became a grind to finish

My example:

I started Playing Dying Light 2 a few weeks ago, at first I thought it was excellent but I'm up to 60 hours on it now, and its really starting to get samey as hell, and that's after unlocking a lot of fast travel and the parachute to help get around.

I started outright skipping a lot of the side quests an cutscene dialogue that isn't story related just to speed things up (and I don't usually do that)

I could quite happily just delete it from my hard drive and never play it again at this point.

Another example I can think of from a few years ago is: Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain. According to Steam I played that for 109 hours! And was so glad when the credits eventually rolled

Disappointing to hear about Dying Light 2, I'm about 20 hours in and enjoying it so far.

I thought Day's Gone stretched itself out for a bit too long. It took me 50+ hours to complete. I thought I was almost done around 34 hours or so in, only for a whole new area to open up, by which point I was starting to get a bit bored of it.

Soldato
This is like me with most Rockstar games to be honest!

Completed GTA 3, and Vice City. Never completed San Andreas.
Just reading that was like getting hit with the needle of nostalgia. The first time completed Vice City was back in 2003 when I was at university and I went on to play it again several more times as I liked it that much. San Andreas at first seemed like an improvement over Vice City but it get repetitive everytime I had to stop what I was doing and fight to hold my terrority, in the end I gave up on it.

Soldato
I've played 3 of them and didn't manage to finish any.

In fact I was bored of Odyssey after only about 10 hours and never went back to it.

I really liked the first one (mainly for the story / setting)
The Ezio ones were amazing, for the story / character etc and really enjoyed exploring the history / places
Didnt like III much but played it through
Black Flag was great
Wasnt amazed by Unity but played it
Didnt bother with anything after that but got Odyssey for free and yeah as said got bored pretty quick

Soldato
Loved The Division.

Played through all the story content and enjoyed every minute of it. After that it became clear that it was just a circling grind for gear that sucked all the life out of it for me.

Caporegime
OP
Just reading that was like getting hit with the needle of nostalgia. The first time completed Vice City was back in 2003 when I was at university and I went on to play it again several more times as I liked it that much. San Andreas at first seemed like an improvement over Vice City but it get repetitive everytime I had to stop what I was doing and fight to hold my terrority, in the end I gave up on it.

Yeah the territory thing was where it kept losing me.

I didn't even get to the Vegas equivalent.

Man of Honour
One for me actually would be Subnautica - the first half of the game is truly excellent but the second half becomes a grind and is far less well put together - especially depressing because at that point you are really wanting more as the first half of the game really pulls you in. I ended up speed running most of the last bit of the game using the Prawn Suit and building little outposts deep inside rather than using the silly submarine, etc.

Loved The Division.

Played through all the story content and enjoyed every minute of it. After that it became clear that it was just a circling grind for gear that sucked all the life out of it for me.

I actually like the end game in The Division - you can keep experimenting with builds and so on - but the whole game could have been done so much better and the streets pretty much become dead once you hit level 30 despite there being so much of the city left untouched by the story content with so many great locations for potential gameplay.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just searched this forum for when I've used the word "chore" to get some inspiration:

• Jade Empire
  • Chaser (I'm being a bit harsh here, but it has a LOT of levels some of which are kinda medicore, they could've streamlined this a bit)
  • SW JK Jedi Outcast (this might be controversial as it is quite a popular game)
  • Pirates! (the remake - endgame is pretty monotonous)
  • Halo (another controversial one)

Also reminded me I already made a similar thread: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/what-games-do-you-consider-too-long.17793543

Soldato
Never liked an AC game from when they started, always dipped my toe in but found them lacking. Then I bought Odyssey on a whim a few years back as a mate with similar tastes badgered me and it just stuck. I love that part of history which probably helped, the gameplay was fluid and intuitive and it looked gorgeous. Ploughed about 90 hours in but as in tune with this thread, didn't finish as got open world ubi-fatigue :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Daemon Hunters : Chaos Gate

”XCOM 2 with Space Marines, ******* get in!” thought I when I first saw the trailer and I did enjoy the first 15-20 hours before every mission because a Bloomspawn or Bloomsprrader one and it all got too grindy for me.

Soldato
Re-released Homeworld 1. Finished it when originally released. But now it just feels tedious with difficult controls. Suck on a mission just can't get back into it.

World of Tanks. Started because I like tanks and it worked on my low end hardware and games were short. These days they give you a mission then matchmake you in game after game where it's impossible to achieve the mission. You basically have to play though a bunch of games waiting until you get a game where the mission is feasible. Takes forever. They increased the randomness in the game so your "bad luck" is increased. I should really rage quit again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom