Games that outstay their welcome?

Soldato
Found myself thinking of Dragon Age 2 this morning for some reason, and thought "boy, now there was a game that overstayed its welcome annoying early on."

I think I was barely several hours in before the reused, bland and empty environments started to ruin the immersion. And the ridiculous mechanic of enemies droppoing out of the sky mid-way through battles, seemingly just to drag them out. Still can't quite believe I slogged through to the end of that one. Can't remember what it was that kept me playing it now. I think the class system, skills and available combat mechanics were actually okay, so maybe that was it.

Soldato
Found myself thinking of Dragon Age 2 this morning for some reason, and thought "boy, now there was a game that overstayed its welcome annoying early on."

I think I was barely several hours in before the reused, bland and empty environments started to ruin the immersion. And the ridiculous mechanic of enemies droppoing out of the sky mid-way through battles, seemingly just to drag them out. Still can't quite believe I slogged through to the end of that one. Can't remember what it was that kept me playing it now. I think the class system, skills and available combat mechanics were actually okay, so maybe that was it.
I was actually enjoying that game but getting a bit tired of the zone (Kirkwall?) . Looked it up and found out that the majority of the game takes place there and I was maybe 30% through. Not played it since! :p

Soldato
Definitely agree with the AC games - I loved Black Flag, and could happily just cruise around the seas picking fights for hours and just enjoying the scenery. Unity was a massive let down (even though I played it years after all the bugs had been fixed), and Syndicate just dragged on, but I persevered as I'd heard Origins was a massive improvement. 15 hours into Origins so far, and I'm just not finding any motivation to play it. I keep getting tempted to pick up Valhalla, as Vikings are just about the only things cooler than Pirates, but can't help but feel it's just going to be another let down!

I guess the Farcry games are similar - got about half way through FC4 and just lost interest. I have Primal and FC5 also in my library (think I got them all in a bundle), and just can't be bothered.

This review seems pretty accurate (even 9 years later :cry:) : https://www.pointandclickbait.com/2014/06/ubisoft-game-review/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ironically, I 100% completed AC Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla. Got something like 1200 hours in the 3 games combined. Loved them all (whereas I wasnt terribly keen on the previous AC titles)

But never finished any Ghost Recon title, nor Witcher 3 or Red Dead Redemption 2.

But did 100% The Division and The Division 2, totalling over 1000 hours in the 2 combined.

So for me at least it does seem that some open world games I am fine with and others I just get bored with before finishing them

Soldato
Valhalla drags and Ive finished all the other ones, still not done that though

Skyrim dragged too, never finished that either

I struggle with most modern games these days, mostly due to lack of time though, in my youth id have loved a 150+ hour game FF7 is still my all time favourite, maybe Ive just gotten old

Soldato
GTA: San Andreas was maybe a little too long, I think it took me about 6 years to finish.
This is like me with most Rockstar games to be honest!
Never completed San Andreas.
Yeah the territory thing was where it kept losing me.
You could ignore it iirc?
But noooo, GTA SA is the best out of the series! I think I finished it the first time within a week! I remember being so ****** that the ps2 plebs got it before the PC masterrace back then.

Associate
Just remembered, Sleeping Dogs. Pretty boring GTA wannabe. All I remember about it were the tedious and repetitive screw-twiddling minigame when removing vents.

Man of Honour
Would Spiderman Remastered be a recent example of this? I've not played it but I see a lot of people who say it gets very boring and repetitive relatively quickly

Soldato
Dying light 2.
It bored the life out of me and I deleted it after roughly 10 hours.

I'm about 10 hours in at the moment. I really, really wanted to like this game after having a blast with the first one, especially in co-op, but it seems they've made the sequel so much more grindy and have made so many elements just that bit worse. It's feeling... okay, I guess, bit I am already thinking of how many upgrades I would have to hunt for, materials I have to grind, towers I have to climb, and just feeling a bit deflated with it.

Last edited:
Associate
Great thread but by far and away the worse one for me was AC Valhalla.
OMG it started off so well but then it get's to the stage of everything just feels added on for the sake of it.

I hadn't played Witcher 3 at this stage and I had compared them in reviews and youtube, the reviewers got it spot on when they said Witcher 3 never feels forced and that it was a far more real living world.

Associate
Chrome. Hardest game I ever played. You could hide in the grass and they would kill you from 50yds but you couldn't kill them from 10 feet.

Soldato
Borderlands.

Loved it to start with, but by the third session or so, I was getting a bit bored by it.
I'll agree with that, First was good, peaked at 2, everything else after was just dull rinse and repeat.

I feel the same for AC and Farcry, both are just far too samey, rinse and repeat, reskin and churn out. I dont think I've even ever finished an AC, I get bored well before the end.

I dont know if its controversial or not but I think RDR2 was a step too far. The original and its DLC's were one of my favourtie gaming experiences ever. Yet RDR2 was just felt bland and drawn out. Every mission felt like a chore, I'm yet to finish it...

Back
Top Bottom