Games worth upgrading your system for

Soldato
Thing is that right now the most demanding game I play is Shadow Warrior 2 and my RX590 is (barely) able to keep it maxed out at 1440/75...
Yeap, hence my answer?

For example, Guardians of the Galaxy is probably the best looking game I have ever seen, and I went full fat and had all the FPS I could want and it was an amazing game to boot. I play Halo infinite daily and I want to run it at 165fps locked. I played Days gone, Tiny Tina's all maxxed out.

I play less taxing gmes, like 7 days to die, Valheim etc.

In none of those cases I would say "yea, upgrade your PC to play it", but goddamnit it's nice to be able just to play anything you want, knowing you're getting the best possible experience for that game. In a few years when my 3080TI can no longer do that, I'll upgrade it, but not because a single game tipped me over to do that.

Associate
OP
TBH you guys are kinda depicting a bleak picture.
What I'm getting is that PC gaming is becoming increasingly expensive and there is little to show for that wouldn't be playable maxed or almost maxed with top hardware from 5 years ago...

Soldato
Thing is you're only as strong as your weakest link. In your case the quality of your display will severely limit what you can visually get out of games regardless of their quality. Playing Cyberpunk on a proper HDR display there's a night & day difference between that and playing it on a, really even the best, monitor in SDR. That in turn then further drives up the value you'd get out of things like higher resolution and raytracing. Let that display also be a TV where the sheer size of it modifies how you can really see the world, how the field of view works, heck in something so detailed and navigable as CP2077 I even run a stretched out ultrawide resolution in the 16:9 aspect ratio just because it works so well for exploring and makes it much more like real human vision, but do that on a monitor and it'd look way worse. In fact here there's an even higher ceiling on properly "seeing the game" which could come with VR (modders are hard at work on it; it will be done in a few years esp. as we get better headsets also).

But it's really a case of seeing is believing. I used to think like you as well but one day I went back to my monitor setup (also 75hz but 21:9; amusingly that also initially served its life with a polaris card - the 480) for a few days (after having been on an HDR TV setup), and I used to think the monitor setup looked great, the TV was no big deal etc but when I actually used it again I immediately noticed all the issues I hadn't seen before, like how awful the IPS contrast really was, how off the colours were, how much I was missing by playing in SDR vs HDR. It was honestly like my vision just got worse, HDR just adds so much it's more like properly seeing the world vs seeing the world through a transparent plastic sheet (SDR). There's absolutely no going back, and even moreso after I found out how to add HDR with SpecialK to old games that never had it (and it in turn increased my enjoyment of those games even more). Of course at this point it's just not possible to go back to that, my eyes have been opened.

Once you have a proper display then you can also start noticing the more nuanced graphical improvements and therefore want them in your games, which means having the ability to turn on raytracing which will mean you want a better GPU. In the case of games like Metro Exodus the transformation of the game from pure raster to raytraced is going to hit you upside the head and amaze you, and if you add HDR to it and play in a dark room then you won't even believe that both experiences are the same game.

I don't know how it works where you are but if there's any place that showcases TVs and lets you run some HDR videos from a usb stick or youtube on those TVs I'd go and check it out like that, I think you'll understand exactly what I'm saying once you see it for yourself.

For HDR video game footage I'd recommend (to download from) https://www.gamersyde.com/ and on youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/PineappleExpressCW

Nice HDR demos of Cyberpunk:

Obviously this is more of a case for a better display rather than a new GPU but they honestly go hand in hand. Hard to recommend and enjoy a Ferrari if you can only use it off-road in a forest. Do not underestimate how big of a difference this makes and not only for new games but also for old ones. Otherwise yes, you could easily live with a 590 for a long time to come because outside of games that cannot be played without raytracing the power of a 590 is more or less equivalent to what they do with the Series S and so you will be (at least) at the minimum spec for the rest of the console generation.
But also don't think you need to go crazy on the GPU in order to enjoy raytracing. Even something like a 2060 has been able to handle RT quite well at 1080p, for example: https://youtu.be/YUSVorEUVCM And so a year from now when we get a 4060 we can expect that to easily be at the level of a 3070 today, which can absolutely handle itself even at 4K (with DLSS ofc), with only the vram likely to be an obvious bottleneck (8 GB probably).

Associate
OP
I'm not going to change monitor any time soon (5+ years), what I'm getting from your answer is that you think it's worthwhile to wait for the next gen to enjoy better RT.

Soldato
I wouldn't say waiting is worthwhile at all in this case. The visual difference is so dramatic and striking, and a decent HDR TV is so affordable, there's absolutely no reason to wait and upgrade if you can afford it (which is doable for anyone living in non-RU Europe); and don't worry about having "only" a 590 for a 4K TV, I used a 480 for the same purpose for 3 years and it was great, and that was before FSR/RSR etc. In fact if you could afford to upgrade the GPU to a 6700 XT and was wondering if it was worth it, meaning you'd pull the trigger on that upgrade if you gathered it was, then understand - a display upgrade is worth MANY TIMES more than whatever would have qualified as worth it for upgrading the GPU. The only reason I'm so insistent on this is because I think you'll end up kicking yourself if you do wait 5 years as you say to upgrade the display once you see the difference. But I've harped on enough on it, it's ofc up to you, but at least visit a TV shop and give it a try is all I'll say.

Associate
Atomic Heart, Forspoken, and STALKER 2* are some of the games I'm looking forward to that might also be graphically demanding. But of course, they could end up being average/bad games that aren't worth playing immediately, if at all!

Are you happy staying at 1080P? Any interest in sampling ray tracing?

*Obviously this one is up in the air given current events
These all seem like good calls. I think Atomic Heart will have problems for related, but distinct reasons as Stalker 2.
I don't feel like I need to upgrade my PC anyway. Sure, there will soon be much faster GPUs & CPUs, but what I have will be fine for the time being.

Soldato
These all seem like good calls. I think Atomic Heart will have problems for related, but distinct reasons as Stalker 2.
I don't feel like I need to upgrade my PC anyway. Sure, there will soon be much faster GPUs & CPUs, but what I have will be fine for the time being.
Yeah, best advice is definitely to wait a few months and see the lay of the land then. And yeah, you're probably right about Atomic Heart too.

Soldato
If you stick at 1080p, then you will get a lot of longevity from any hardware, but going to 1440p at that size of display would be a hell of an upgrade in fidelity and would also require a semi decent GPU. So if you aren't doing that, it may be a while before any games genuinely struggle to run well at 1080p which is slowly becoming "past gen" tech.

Soldato
VR centric, but it's still the case where the more you have under the hood, the better it's going to be for you. Personally i blew the load on my love of playing Assetto Corsa online, but in truth everything high end just either gets there or struggles when you blow it up in a Reverb G2.

Normal desktop i wouldn't have bothered, but in the world of VR i'll be chasing a 4090 down or whatever Nvidia decide to call the top card.

Soldato
TBH you guys are kinda depicting a bleak picture.
What I'm getting is that PC gaming is becoming increasingly expensive and there is little to show for that wouldn't be playable maxed or almost maxed with top hardware from 5 years ago...

Depends what on resolution and what you call playable in terms of FPS.

Soldato
1080/60 to 1440p/75 (VSR on 1080p monitor)
People, in general, don't buy high cards to play at low resolution for the next X years. They're more likely to buy a high end card considering 4k gaming or at least 1440p high FPS.
But, if you've bought a 1080ti or RTX2080 to play 1080p, that will play just fine even tough the 1080ti is about 5 years old. GTX1070(ti) will be still good as well.

With that said, games in general have a big jump in graphic fidelity when the console change, other changes tend to be smaller. Replaying Metro series right now and for me each game looked better than the previous. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is looking much better than Human Revolution. Fallout 4 over Fallout 3/NV, etc. Does it worth to upgrade in order to play maxed out @60fps? Well, if I have the money, yes. Is it worth it for just one game? Well, if it isn't one that I will play for 1000 hrs+, no. :)

Soldato
Eldon Ring
Resident Evil Village
Far Cry 6
Cyberpunk 2077
Metro Exodus
Guardians of the galaxy
Red Dead Redemption 2
Days Gone
Death Stranding
New World
Halo Infinite
Dying Light 2
Forza Horizon 4
Forza Horizon 5
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Associate
OP
Eldon Ring
Resident Evil Village
Far Cry 6
Cyberpunk 2077
Metro Exodus
Guardians of the galaxy
Red Dead Redemption 2
Days Gone
Death Stranding
New World
Halo Infinite
Dying Light 2
Forza Horizon 4
Forza Horizon 5
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Of that list I'm curious about:

- Cyberpunk 2077 (too demanding for my current PC)
- Halo Infinite (too demanding for my current PC)
- Dying Light 2 (too demanding for my current PC)
- Forza Horizon 5 (at the edge of my PC capabilities)

Man of Honour
The only game which might have got me willingly upgrading is CP2077 if it had lived up to the premise. If I was into that kind of stuff MS Flight Simulator 2020 does demand and justify having a decent spec system.

A next gen graphics The Division or Deus Ex game might see me upgrading - but they'd have to get the mechanics, etc. right - the most recent efforts have been kind of clunky or awkward to play in one respect or another detracting from the overall experience.

Too many games these days are relatively short experiences, meh controls, meh mechanics, meh interface - relatively forgettable and not worth upgrading for.

Soldato
As long as your system can play the latest xbox variant games, then there's no real reason to upgrade. It's been that way for years now... PC generally follows the consoles now. Yeah, you may be able to make it look better than a console game, but that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom