Games you did not like at first but now you do.

Soldato
Battlefield 3 !!:eek:

This is my first BF game upon which I have focussed so much attention. When I started alpha, mine kept on dying as I was new to gameplay etc.

Now having progressed further in beta, I am loving it though still every beta session provides something new as a learning experience :)

Caporegime
Mass Effect, such an incredible game. It took me three tries to get into it. I first started and wasn't feeling it then I tried again for the third time and absolutely loved it.

Hopefully this might happen for me. So far I've tried four times across two platforms to get into Mass Effect, but sadly can't. I think I find the combat mechanics the problem, certainly when compared to the second anyway.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm hoping to see someone mention dragon age origins, I've tried a multitude of times to get into it but I keep getting so bored.

I haven't played the first but did try the demo of the second. It didn't look like my sort of game, so I haven't bothered as yet with that series.

Soldato
Dead Space, had it on the release date, installed it, and played the first level, hated it, uninstalled it, then never looked at it till the 2nd game was due to be released.

Associate
Mass effect, the story didn't really entice me and I wasn't a fan of the levelling system. I made it as far as the loopy doctor early on a few times before putting it down. After going back what must have been my fourth time with a little more patience, it was quite a good game.

Fallout 3, again I just couldn't get into this, made it outside of the vault once but got lost and didn't go back for a few years. Finally played it again recently and couldn't put it down, fantastic game and I was rather silly to not have seen so earlier on.

Associate
Doom 3.

Couldn't run it when it was first released so gave up with it.

But now, even 7 years later, it looks stunning at 2560 x 1440 and it's just a complete blast to play.

Thinking about it. I might wait another 7 years before I buy and play Rage.

They might have ironed out the bugs by then.

Soldato
Another 1 for the Witcher.

I bought it on release date, but it struggled on my machine and I found it pretty boring, think I got to the 1st inn and stopped there.

Years later I bought it on steam (couldn't activate the original CD) after everyone started raving about Witcher 2. Thought I'd put a bit more time into it and I'm glad I did. I'm still playing it on and off at the moment, but Steam says I've clocked 38 hours at the moment :D

Really looking forward to finishing this off and moving onto the sequal.

Soldato
Fallout 3 was probably the ultimate one for me. (bought it on release) I really hated that game when it came out. I hated how slow it all was and I just found it incredibly dull and boring. Played about 3-4 hours.

Then finally in 2011 I picked up the GOTY edition for £10 and over the following 2 weeks I got 100% of the trophies and did pretty much everything in the game. Loved it.

Associate
Another for Fallout 3. On first try I got outside, hit megatron and killed everyone in it, then switched it off. Got the goty edition on steam in the sale for 6.79 and loved it.

Soldato
Red Orchestra 2.

Didn't like it at first, then I was raving about it, now I'm "meh" about it and haven't played it for days.

Pretty much exactly the same. Without knowing the maps or generally what you're supposed to do the initial reaction was this is just a campfest, as that was what everyone was doing. Then as the maps were learnt and less people camped it became quite awesome for a while.

But now it is starting to sink in that with the territory based format I find myself simply running from the same bit of cover to the next same bit of cover over and over on each map, more or less repeating the same actions everytime at the start of a round. This is compounded when you die and respawn because you basically have to go through the exact same motions each time to get to where the action is, i.e. hop between very familiar cover points each and every time.

The only map I really like despite this is Spartanovka because playing as Axis there is a clear linear looking objective, whereas the other maps the territory zones seem to swap round at random. I find I can only play for maybe 2 or 3 maps at a time before getting bored with it again.

And of course now they are resetting stats and unlocks I am faced with the prospect of having to level up my kar98 again, having currently got a legit 48 levels in it. This does not exactly fill me with a desire to play the game.

Associate
Maybe I should try Fallout 3 again then. I did what many of you have said, got outside, ran around for a tiny bit and then turned it off and haven't touched it since.

I used to play Call of Duty vanilla a lot. Then WoW came out and loads of COD players disappeared to it, so I thought I'd try it out. I got a hunter to level 20 or so and then gave up saying I'd never play it again and went back to COD. Few months later, I started again, levelled a priest to 60, started raiding and I still play the same character (obviously level 85 now) 4 or 5 years on :/

Associate
Fallout New Vegas for me, got it on release but couldn't get into it. Started modding it this month and can't put it down now.

I also really enjoyed playing Alpha Protocol after giving it a second chance .

Back
Top Bottom