Gaming Desk? Whats a good one these days?

Soldato
I have the Ikea setup and it’s fine for pc use but I’m finding it not deep enough at the moment as I also use it for tinkering

Are you referring to Ikea galant, if so I find the depth pretty good, if anything would prefer it a few inches narrower to give more space in room.

Man of Honour
I went back and forth over this so many times but the setup I ended up happiest with was some height adjustable feet from Ikea and an Ikea top (can't remember which it was now). The only thing it is lacking really is cable management options which might be a consideration if I replace it.

Soldato
Are you referring to Ikea galant, if so I find the depth pretty good, if anything would prefer it a few inches narrower to give more space in room.
I was meaning the setup with two drawers and the worktop on top. The galant looks ideal for me. I make things as well as mark books on my desk and the keyboard always ends up in the way, my room is quite small though so I’m not sure if it could cope with a desk much bigger without removing other furniture.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Quite a few people, myself included, have gone for a pair of Ikea Alex drawers as the "feet", with a simple worktop / counter top acress the two, I've posted my setup in the desk and room gallery in the cases bit, as have a lot of others, have a rummage through there for ideas!

Alex drawers are great! I use 1 atm, but im considering getting a second as well

Man of Honour
I went back and forth over this so many times but the setup I ended up happiest with was some height adjustable feet from Ikea and an Ikea top (can't remember which it was now). The only thing it is lacking really is cable management options which might be a consideration if I replace it.

Yea somewhere for cable management is absolutely essential and was a big consideration when I bought mine. The vanity panel provides the perfect place to hide all of the nasty kit and wires while also reducing the sag, this was one of the reasons I went for the desk I did, it gives me the option to hide a modem, router, plugs wires and all the rubbish leaving just my firewall on the desk:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ah nice - I've got a data cabinet mounted near mine for switches, NAS, etc. but the trailing cables and so on aren't ideal.

Man of Honour
Ah nice - I've got a data cabinet mounted near mine for switches, NAS, etc. but the trailing cables and so on aren't ideal.

Just millions of cables everywhere does my head in. One thing I did find weird is that the power cable for the firewall can also power my router and the other way around but for some reason if the wrong cable was in my firewall wouldn't reconnect it's ipsec back to my office, but otherwise appeared to function normally. Was fun troubleshooting that.

Associate
I bought a 2nd hand sit/stand system one of the expensive Danish brands but was only £250 used... Then I took an old solid Oak dinning table from a well known auction site for like £50 sanded it down, stained and laquered it. So in the end I got a massive sit/stand desk with an inch thick solid oak all for £350 with a little time and effort better imho than a 1k Lian Li desk.

Soldato
OP
So as a temp i ended up buying a Micke storage unit (£50) that was the same height as my Micke corner Work station so i could lay my pc across the top. Had to dismantle my Micke workstation somewhat to get it to fit but it works for now... Went to ikea in hopes of getting the Limnon desk with some Alex storage units however the wife didn't like it (typical).

So for now i may end up buying another Micke desk (because its the same height as my main workstation) to go on the end of my station so i can put her rig there as well. Really wish i went for the black/brown combo, sick of the white colour... its so bland.

@b00merang69 those cable management trunking look decent, i may give it a try. I got abit of a cable hazard on my desk at the moment :p

Associate
I'm 6 foot tall and a Micke desk was too small for me. Its not tall or deep enough for me to sit at comfortably unless I place it 1 or 2 feet away from the wall. Then I found out it's intended to be a kids desk...

Soldato
OP
I'm 6 foot tall and a Micke desk was too small for me. Its not tall or deep enough for me to sit at comfortably unless I place it 1 or 2 feet away from the wall. Then I found out it's intended to be a kids desk...
I do find its a little too low for me but im not the tallest of people and neither is my wife so we find it okay for what it is. Really do wish i had gone for a straight desk instead of this corner one...

Back
Top Bottom