Gaming online is becoming like computer home invasion!

Associate
I kind of see where the OP is coming from. It can be tedious installing a shed load of crap just to play a game. The most irritating part is patching though. Finding the current version you are using, finding the right US/EU version, wondering if you need the 'Gold Edition' or the 'Game of the Year' edition patch, whether it is .07a - .09a or whatever. This is what I went though with the original OFP.

Auto update is the answer.

Soldato
Life these days is sooooooo hard!

How quickly people forget the days of having to swap floppy disks and the like just to play a game.

And if anything did go wrong with either the game or the computer, you then spent the best part of a day just figuring out the fix for yourself, as you couldn't just 'google it n00b'.

:rolleyes:

Soldato
My main pet hate about games lands squarely on Relic's shoulders. With their incrimental patches, each a couple of hundred Mb large. No big overall 'from 1.0 to the current version' patch. You have to go the long slow route via at least 10 different versions. Had this with Dawn of War, and then with something else, I can't remember which, so I must have blotted it out of my memory!

Associate
Haha, I remeber back in the day when you had to have an army of boot disks (1 for each game) and trying to free up that last 2k of ram to make the damn thing work :D
And as div0 said, no google kiddies :eek:

Soldato
Football Manager on the C64 took 20 mins to load, no graphics, no fuzzy lines, just a blue screen. Then 50% of the time the tape just reached the end and clicked stop, so you just had to rewind and start again.

Permabanned
c64 wasnt all bad when you got it working it had some good games i remeber haivng bubble bobble and rainbow island on it which was one of my fave games back in the day and games i used to play in the arcade which to have at home was awesome. oh oh and new zeland story. i also remember some ninja game that i used to think was awesoem but could never do.

Last edited:
Associate
Life these days is sooooooo hard!

How quickly people forget the days of having to swap floppy disks and the like just to play a game.

And if anything did go wrong with either the game or the computer, you then spent the best part of a day just figuring out the fix for yourself, as you couldn't just 'google it n00b'.

:rolleyes:

That's nothing...we used to live in a shoebox in the middle of the road.

Back
Top Bottom