Gaming pc

Associate
Hello ppl, thanks for taking your time to look at my post. I would like to build a new gaming pc so my son can have my old one. So far i've come up with this..
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,735.87
(includes shipping: £14.70)
Could anyone give me any advice on my choice of build? maybe save me a few quid on other options? Do i need to buy any cables for the ssd or a mounting kit for it? I've had this problem in the pass when no cable or mounting kit came with the ssd
I also have a case it the Antec Nine hundred 2 http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=1728

Consider ditching the hard disk bundle for as big an SSD you can afford. I'd rather have a regular SSD that can hold a good few games than an M.2 and a traditional HDD

Good shout on the SSD and good offer on that Samsung EVO right now.

I think you want the Kryonaut or Hydronaut paste. The Conductonaut is liquid metal and tends to be for delidding. Any cooler you buy is coming with paste already so you don't actually need extra, unless you're curious to try Thermal Grizzly.

In my opinion, it is better to have 1600X + cheaper cooler, than 1600 + expensive cooler, for the same money. You are guaranteed 4.0GHz boost that way. Not all 1600s OC to 4.0. If you want to spend more on expensive cooler go for it, but Ryzen does not require them for max overclocking.

What type of games are you going to play? Games like CS:GO or Doom can give you around 144 fps or more (to get the best out of that monitor) with a GTX 1060, on High/Ultra detail. Games like Witcher 3/GTA V won't. A GTX 1070 is not be overkill for a 144Hz 1080p monitor these days.

Here's a 1600X/GTX 1070 spec for less cost. A few alternative suggestions thrown in too, which you can change to your preferred ones.

Total: £1,672.88
(includes shipping: £13.20)

You forgot the compulsory sunglasses for the that memory Danny :D

EDIT: And second Danny's revisions - better performance for less money. Despite the eye sore that is the memory :)

Not a fan of paying that much for a GTX 1060. You are getting towards GTX 1070 territory there.

I would swap out the WD Black for a WD Blue or Seagate Barracuda (Green label) etc. No need to pay extra.

The Zotac 1070 is ETA 11/8.

Total: £485.46
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Thanks Lee, I will swop the WD black for the WD blue. Also if im only gonna play games in 1080p could i opt for a cheaper monitor? then spend more on a gfx card?
The main games i will be playing are Ark(my son loves it he's only 7 and want's me to play along side him)
BF1, and Playerunknown's Battleground.

Thanks Lee, I will swop the WD black for the WD blue. Also if im only gonna play games in 1080p could i opt for a cheaper monitor? then spend more on a gfx card?
The main games i will be playing are Ark(my son loves it he's only 7 and want's me to play along side him)
BF1, and Playerunknown's Battleground.

There are cheaper 24" 1080p monitors if you are not going to go with a G-Sync or Freesync. A GTX 1060 is good enough for 1080p so I would either go with a cheaper version such as the one below or pre-order the Zotac GTX 1070 if you want higher end.

Much cheaper GTX 1060 6GB as well:

Total: £472.27
(includes shipping: £12.30)

Looks okay, just be aware that some buyers of that Giga board are still reporting Ryzen 5 processors not working with the motherboard. And they have to send it back to OcUK, or ask Gigabyte to collect it, and update the BIOS for them. If you want to avoid that possibility, get the Asus Strix B350-F instead.

Looks okay, just be aware that some buyers of that Giga board are still reporting Ryzen 5 processors not working with the motherboard. And they have to send it back to OcUK, or ask Gigabyte to collect it, and update it for them. If you want to avoid that possibility, get the Asus Strix B350-F instead.

This ^ go with the Asus strix b350-f.

Looks okay, just be aware that some buyers of that Giga board are still reporting Ryzen 5 processors not working with the motherboard. And they have to send it back to OcUK, or ask Gigabyte to collect it, and update the BIOS for them. If you want to avoid that possibility, get the Asus Strix B350-F instead.

Or ask OCUK to confirm bios revision :D Hopefully they are selling boards with up to date bios revisions but I guess it is best to check first. The Asus board is pretty nice though but I have always bought Gigabyte myself.

Or ask OCUK to confirm bios revision :D Hopefully they are selling boards with up to date bios revisions but I guess it is best to check first. The Asus board is pretty nice though but I have always bought Gigabyte myself.

I stopped recommending them for now after seeing several recent posts on the forum from buyers (who also bought Ryzen 5) peeved off that it didn't work and they had to wait days returning to OcUK/having Giga collect and take it.

If you prefer Giga/MSI/ASRock and OcUK can confirm BIOS revision, great. But not sure they do that. Don't think they have in the past, people have been told buy and if it isn't compatible, send it back and we'll update BIOS for you. But that may have changed.

I stopped recommending them for now after seeing several recent posts on the forum from buyers (who also bought Ryzen 5) peeved off that it didn't work and they had to wait days returning to OcUK/having Giga collect and take it.

If you prefer Giga/MSI/ASRock and OcUK can confirm BIOS revision, great. But not sure they do that. Don't think they have in the past, people have been told buy and if it isn't compatible, send it back and we'll update BIOS for you. But that may have changed.

Same here i now recommend the strix board thanks to you ;-).

The Bios for the R5 cpu's is dated 10/4 (F6 revision) so I would imagine unless they have old stock that it should be fine by now. I think they can tell from the serial number but I might be wrong on that. I agree that it is still best to ask the question first.

Back
Top Bottom