Gaming pc

The Bios for the R5 cpu's is dated 10/4 (F6 revision) so I would imagine unless they have old stock that it should be fine by now.

For months I've been speccing those Giga boards, thinking well, any moment now the old stock will be gone. But after seeing old stock is still around even into August, I searched for boards manufactured after Ryzen 5 launch in April, with the right BIOS, and the Strix B350-F released on May 24th fits the bill.

I think they can tell from the serial number but I might be wrong on that. I agree that it is still best to ask the question first.

Yeah. It depends on whether the serial number is also on the outside of the box, as I know they can't open the box if sold as new (which is why they can't update it beforehand).

For months I've been speccing those Giga boards, thinking well, any moment now the old stock will be gone. But after seeing old stock is still around even into August, I searched for boards manufactured after Ryzen 5 launch in April, with the right BIOS, and the Strix B350-F released on May 24th fits the bill.

Yeah. It depends on whether the serial number is also on the outside of the box, as I know they can't open the box if sold as new (which is why they can't update it beforehand).

I wasn't sure whether OCUK would be able to open the box once payment had been made. I guess in this instance the Asus board is the safest bet.

They should be able to do so.

Maybe they would need to get permission from the buyer to open the package to check for bios version so that if needed update the bios edit i think there is a superior way of combating this

So when the packages comes and notices the package has been opened and knowing the buyer gave permission to open the package and thus no complaints, as the buyer would know who opened it.

Maybe ocuk should check the bio version of every am4 platform and give us all a big heads up but then yea they would have other means to know what bios version it will be that isn't opening the motherboard box.

Maybe a service from ocuk that does this for a small fee which will fund the entire operation with a small acceptable profit regarding 1000's of a motherboards and buyers.

Lazy i know but yeah, not all of us are going to be up to date with this or that.

It will be like this, the buyer has to consult ocuk not ocuk to the buyer for them to open and check and possibly updating the bios for the buyer.

But then as i remember Plec saying there could be numerous issues with the hardware if the pc isn't functioning properly.

Last edited:
Maybe a CPU+motherboard bundle service, where you can (a) add any board of your choosing, and (b) bundle comes with the feature of OcUK updating BIOS. And OcUK can add their fee for doing so to the bundle price. This might get around the issue of not being able to open the box, since when they sell overclocked CPU+motherboard bundles it is possible (necessary) to open the box to overclock.

Anyway, at some point the old stock will be all gone, just taking a while, and board manufacturers and retailers may want to come up with something effective for the future, even if just for the retailers' benefit (can't imagine they prefer to spend time receiving boards back, spending time on updating BIOS then spending on more postage to return updated motherboard to customer).

For things like this, i would use the cpu and motherboard bundle service if the feature is there for ocuk to update the bios imo.

It would be heart breaking if the new pc doesn't start up if it is a bios needing a update.

I think this service is needed when as you say bios update will only be temporary if ocuk does this.

If ocuk is confident enough in such a service they would have done it by now ;-) as well as other retailers.

Maybe a one off payment is all that is needed i think.

So yeah they could make a quick buck if they do this service but as i said it will only be temporary or until it is needed next time which will boost overclockers own profit and competitiveness i can image for such a service about £47.50 i can see that figure, so for that you would have a very literate person about hardware checking for a lot of things ;-) etc, etc, etc it would be the same as a pay as you go service that mobile phone operators do but for hardware checking updating etc.

I must admit i am not the best in worldly matters so their would be a much better option to all of this that is not what i stated.

Last edited:
lets just hope guys that some day all motherboards will have a feature to update bios without cpu
its quite annoying if you buy something that should work together but it doesn't because of dated bios.
Same situation with z170 boards and Kabylake so its not just amd

lets just hope guys that some day all motherboards will have a feature to update bios without cpu
its quite annoying if you buy something that should work together but it doesn't because of dated bios.
Same situation with z170 boards and Kabylake so its not just amd

Some boards do have that feature. Asus have usb flashback on certain boards that allows a bios update without a cpu installed.

Hey thanks guys for the heads up and all your advice.
The only problem for me is i don't like Asus MB had a few boards over the years fizzle out on me. I'll take the risk and post if the bios is outdated after i calm down :D

Just to add, I've recently got the Gigabyte AB350 board (couple of days now) and it came with bios version F5. It worked out of the box with a Ryzen 3 so presumably it would work fine with a Ryzen 5 processor.

Well it's all set up and running mighty fine. No bios update :D
wonkytrout i can upgrade in the future its no biggy i pass my seconds down to my son ;)
Once again thanks for all your advice everyone :cool:

Back
Top Bottom