gaming system partition size

Associate
Running ubuntu on 750gb samsung F1.

I want to create a partition to dual boot to xp for games.

I have additional storage on two 2tb mybook mirrors.

Just want a quick sanity check, whats a good size partition to go for?

I'm thinking 2gb.

Soldato
2gb? A single game can take that up alone.
I have a 250 HDD and I've partitioned it to have 50GB (maybe abit extreme but at least I know I wont go over).

Associate
The answer would depend on how many games you intend to install. I currently have around 6 games installed, including WoW and that takes up around 50gb without the OS.

AStaley.

Associate
It would totally depend on how many games u want ot install, and how many you think you will install in the future. I have 300gb worth of space for my OS, apps and games.

Associate
OP
opps, should have written 200gb, I but somhow missed the zeros! Doh!

Thanks for the replies, partitioon done. then wiped out the grub boot loader. Doh!

Reinstalled it, but now can't boot to Windows. <sigh>

Will get there in the end. Thanks for all the replies.

Soldato
no idea, dont know how many games you have. i say use an entire seperate drive for it, less faffing around.

the problem with trying to create partitions for everything on one drive is that you inevitably run at of room on one of them, then you have to start mooving films around, changing partition sizes ect....its too much hassle imo. if you put it on a seperate drive (i mean, whats the cost of a 500gb drive these days?) then at least if you run at of space you can just buy a bigger drive, transfer the lot and use the existing drive for something else. minimum effort :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom