Associate
Hi folks.

Having purchased my first house around a year ago, I've finally gotten around to sorting out the garage. A few people over in motors seemed to like it, so here's a sort of 'build log' of what I've done.

Here's the before pictures, from the house advert. It's a 1890's 2 story coach house, complete with stable divider and hay feeding troughs.

Outside:
164030_RS0413_IMG_27_0000_max_656x437.jpg

Front garage:
164030_RS0413_IMG_28_0000_max_656x437.jpg

Rear stables:
164030_RS0413_IMG_29_0000_max_656x437.jpg

Above the stables:
164030_RS0413_IMG_30_0000_max_656x437.jpg

Above the front:
164030_RS0413_IMG_31_0000_max_656x437.jpg

Floor plan:
164030_RS0413_FLP_04_0000_max_600x600.jpg

The upstairs is quite spacious. I'm 6'2" and can stand up in the middle of the room quite easily, I just have to duck to get there.

Everything in the photos came with the house. Quite nice to not have to buy things like ladders, lawnmowers, garden chairs etc when moving into my first house.

Associate
Great looking building. Look forward to seeing what you do with it. I think rebel's suggestion is pretty much what I'd do. It looks like you've got power in there already which is a good start.

Associate
OP
That's an impressive amount of room.

I would go with garage downstairs and man cave/office upstairs. Stable for storing lawnmower and other bits.

Man cave & office have to be in the house, unless I fit a bedroom in there too; I wouldn’t want to have to lock up and walk back to the house to go to bed after a late night session.

Associate
OP
Are you going to try and keep the character? I'd find it hard to decide what to do with that. It looks great!

Im going to keep as much as I can, while still having a usable space. Obviously the floor is terrible for working on, but at the same time really suits the building.

Anyway, first thing to be done is a good old fashioned clear out & clean.
There’s a lot of stuff left by the previous owners, some really useful, some useful to someone else, other bits for the tip:
6-E8-A616-C-B706-4-D1-E-B958-876-B1109-BC2-E.jpg

25-FF6290-6857-4-E63-B5-FC-E0-EFDD731-BB7.jpg

6-AA98372-9-A65-4-DBE-837-A-EE9-E596173-E1.jpg

I found 2 dead rats, a few hundred thousand spiders, and more dirt/dust than I thought possible.

Associate
subscribed!

I wish I had something this size to play with. I have a garage which is 9 meters by 3 but it's old and damp and cold and will get knocked down once the world gets back on its feet again.

Associate
OP
subscribed!

I wish I had something this size to play with. I have a garage which is 9 meters by 3 but it's old and damp and cold and will get knocked down once the world gets back on its feet again.

Mine is about 10x3m. It’s 130 years old, it’s damp and it’s cold. Why knock yours down?

Soldato
I would look at sealing the floor with liquid acrylic or clear epoxy so walking on a level surface rather than the cobbles, but still keeping the look and feel of the cobbles.

Other wise it's a fantastic space and something I wish I had.

Soldato
I would look at sealing the floor with liquid acrylic or clear epoxy so walking on a level surface rather than the cobbles, but still keeping the look and feel of the cobbles.

That's an excellent idea. Although not sure how costly it would be, as it looks like it'd need a lot of leveling!

Associate
OP

Hadn't thought of that, definitely worth looking into. Like Marv said though, the floor is very uneven and I'd either end up with 1-2" thick acrylic in places or would have to remove bricks, level off the ground and relay then acrylic. I've done a few jobs on my car/wood working in there as it is, and other than being a right pain to clean afterwards, it's not too bad.

Associate
OP
Throughout this project, I'm not just going to be working on the inside of the garage, but overhauling the outside/drive/part of the back garden with it. Here's why:

This concrete wall is hideous. I don't want to have to see this whenever I park my car or go to the garage.
Apy2iFg.jpg

It's also hiding a bunch of spikey foliage, which will also have to go.
gJlAUln.jpg

Removing the bushes, I noticed what looks like a former attached building, possibly an old outdoor toilet.
AE1JnfD.jpg

A little bit of curious digging, and the outside toilet was confirmed, with some old pottery pipes.
oRY8ybL.jpg
Doesn't look like they'd still be connected to anything, so I won't be reinstalling a toilet in the garden...

A few hours later, and everything has been dug out, most of the roots have also been removed.
AXzoWEL.jpg

I also moved the edging tiles to leave 12" or so of soil to plant some rose bushes up the side of the garage eventually.
1wf8WeJ.jpg

That's it until next time.

Associate
OP
Finished with clearing the outside.

Ugly, old, concrete wall has gone:
YJ3hk70.jpg

Covered the soil with slate to match the rest of the garden (for now).
JTb3HJE.jpg

Cleared away all the rubbish too, so here’s the front view from the driveway:
IT0VZLx.jpg

And a view from the garden out to the driveway:
J9C3SVa.jpg

Just need something to replace the wall with...

Back
Top Bottom