1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

garage flooring

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by utajoker, Apr 14, 2019.

1. utajoker

Capodecina

Hi

Has anyone had experience using vinyl flooring tiles?

Looking at these

Its looking around £330 to use these.

Are there any alternatives?

We are not looking to park a car in there but most likely some gym equipment at one end and some work area for diy at the other.

Garage is 2.6M x 6.1M.

2. Hedge

Capodecina

Oops ignore. Totally didnt read description lol.

3. eviled

Gangster

I’d be interested to know too, this is my next(ish) job

4. Fireskull

Sgarrista

I've just done my garage floor with Duramat floor tiles, really impressed, Can't comment on how they'd be dropping weights on them, but I've got motorbikes and other heavy garage items on them.

5. Syla5

Mobster

I use horse stable mats, 18mm think, come in 6ftx4ft size. Around £60 per mat delivered. Very easy to cut to size using a Stanley knife.

Arkmat.co.uk is who I used.

6. adwol48

Hitman

I'm still undecided if i'm just gonna seal my garage floor and just leave it as plain concrete or add in some of these mats. It will probably be more comfortable to walk on and the cold wont come up through the floor as easily but not sure if its actually worth it for how long i spend in the garage.

7. rubberduck

Mobster

I put some of the cheapo interlocking floor tiles down that you can get from Halfords or B&Q (Ronson) etc. Think they were £8 a pack when I purchased but may be a bit more now. Managed to do a large double garage with around 9 packs or so, cost me less than £100... I use the room as a home cinema and have some gym equipment + fridge & freezer in there. Overall they have been a great purchase and went down really well. They have really warmed the garage up now, even when it is cold outside when I get round to insulate the garage doors I think it will be very cosy in there with just a small heater being required in the winter. Prior to putting the mats down I did paint the floor with a few coats of Leyland 'heavy duty' floor paint which I believe has really helped keep the mats stable. Floor paint is not as nice as going full epoxy but for £25 a tin you cant really go wrong. Put it on with a a cheap roller on a stick and throw the sleeve out at the end, give it at least 24 hours between coats and then probably a week to cure to full hardness depending on ventilation. The mats themselves are not that tough and they will imprint if you leave something heavy stood on them for a while. It all depends how big an area a load is spread over. Generally any dents etc come out over time but worst case you can always replace a mat if it gets horribly damaged. One option might be to just use more heavy duty mats where you will have the gym equipment if you are worried about dropping dumbbells etc. I did look in to Duramat etc but thought I would try something cheap and cheerful first and upgrade if needed. I don't think I will ultimately bother as the cheap solution seems to have done the job better than expected. Overall one of the best home improvements I have done in terms of cost/performance.

8. utajoker

Capodecina

Well i decided to go for it.

The tiles came next day and i have just fitted them today.

[​IMG][​IMG]

They went down easy but where a bit tough to cut with just a Stanley knife and a blunt hack saw.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Really pleased with the result. Garage is 6.1m X 2.6m and everything came to £330 delivered .
    [​IMG]

I worked out 72 tiles needed but bought 75 just in case, turned out i needed exactly 75.

9. eviled

Gangster

did you get the ebay ones or the duramat ones ?

10. utajoker

Capodecina

They where the ones I linked from ebay

11. mOdO

Wise Guy

Do you find the garage is more insulated with the mats? Or no difference at all?

12. utajoker

Capodecina

We haven't moved in yet so cant comment, we are waiting for carpets to be fitted in a few days.

They do butt up to the garage door but are not glued in place so the seal is not perfect.

13. Fireskull

Sgarrista

Looks good! And they look identical to the Duramat ones I installed :p

14. adwol48

Hitman

So just worked out how many of these times i will actually need . 110 apparently and thats with a bit extra think i may buy some every month as to spread the cost

15. roboamigo

Associate

I was considering Duramat at circa £300. I ended up sealing the floor with watered down PVA and then a tub of Screwfix Trade Floor Paint, 2 coats 2.5l covered a 14m2 garage. Needs 7 days to cure but was easy to apply. Worth considering.

16. Haze

Mobster

I would have just painted it

17. adwol48

Hitman

I've sealed the floor already the concrete dust was just getting too annoying to sweep out every week. Suppose i could paint it to begin with and if i dont like it i can always lay the tiles down later on. I'd probably need two tins for 24m2