Garage Refurbishment

Soldato
So I plan to re-roof my garage to make it a useable space, sealed from the elements and safe to run some electrics.

Current roof is corrugated asbestos cement sheets, horrible stuff, all prepped with full protection kits to remove and disposed of.

I was hoping to replace with boards and felt, being a very shallow pitch (10 degrees) this is basically my only option. Here is where I reach my first concern, will the current beams take the extra weight?

Does anyone know how I can get a calculation together to see if my planned option is going to be useable?

Trying to determine current weight on the beams vs planned weight on the beams as a base line and my only problem here is I have no clue what the weight of the Asbestos sheets would be per square meter. If anyone has any knowledge of this weight that would be ideal.

Having found some refrence material to asbestos cement sheeting I think i should be more then ok.

According to this:
http://www.aic.org.uk/assets/Asbest...ormation/Asbestos-Cement-Profiled-Roofing.pdf

even the lightest of the material that appears to be what i have works out to 15kg per m2, and i plan to put up material weighing 14.5kg per m2 so actually taking away a little of the load, and thats after i will be improving load distribution.

Photos will be uploaded at various stages as this develops.

First job was to replace the side door. Removal of the old rotten super low security door with a upvc jobbie. This was relatively painless and took only a couple of hours including putting in a new frame and painting it.

291FBA59-C57C-4C5D-9E2A-88F2D56DB9EE_zps3h6abi2v.jpg

B085D75A-F2FD-44E1-AB97-A97B169E1BAF_zpssxbmuhpa.jpg

Last edited:
So far I have the wood ordered, roof felt sources through eBay, door through eBay and protection kit for roof removal has arrived.

The size of the garage is 6.3m x 3.3m (20ft x 10ft).

Total costs so far:
Asbestos protection gear £61
2 suits
2 pairs of gloves
10 masks
2 pairs of goggles
2 pairs of boot covers
20 red asbestos bags
20 clear asbestos bags
1 roll of cloth tape

Roofing wood £300
12 18mm OSB 2.4m x 1.22m boards cut to length (1.675m)
18 47mm x 50mm x 2.4m treat timber

Roofing felt £90
6 10m x 1m rolls green felt

Roofing Sundrys £25
1kg Clout Nails
20 1m Eaves Comb
40 60mm M6 Bolts

UPVC door £90

Door frame wood and sealant £15

The cost of running electricity out there I will budget £100 for, although on clearing out the garage i already have a 2 light fixings, a dual light switch and some cable so this will help. I have 1 additional window to do as well, no idea on this cost of this yet, and finally I want to seal and paint the floor.

I am hoping to turn an unusable space in to a usable all year round home gym area as well as much more secure and pleasant garage.

Here is 1 lot of the protection kit.
FC3F171C-8C2C-476F-9BEB-6253C3F8B10E_zpswn9jqhty.jpg

Last edited:
It's easier with asbestos sheets to wrap it in 1000 gauge polythene rather than put it in bags.

I couldn't find the polythene for less than £35 per roll, so opted for 2 bags per 3 sheets (a bag per top and bottom of each sheet). Hopefully the bags will be just fine.

Just taken delivery of the wood, slight change to the order the longer timbers are now 47mm x 40mm x 3.6m so only require 2 of each per cross beam.

6EDAE513-B791-4367-B386-BA167F2DFBDF_zpsos26qnwk.jpg

9E89F0D8-749E-4135-8B3E-729BDBC4304A_zpscijtibtv.jpg

So the weather is rubbish but the roof had to come off. Got hold of a set of bolt cutters to really speed up the process.

Wrapping prep station
F747632E-F9DE-4685-83FD-CEA4EE82586F_zpsecioludh.jpg

Roof pre removal
24A4FA05-08D9-4F53-8FFF-68DE19D43865_zpstqmqlo0x.jpg

Protection gear on
EF370323-56D4-41A2-ACF0-9E0EB681F45B_zpsaxjygz4h.jpg

Roof off
9CE7A13C-1C45-4DBB-B1C7-066B9937A928_zpsisaxarqw.jpg

Bagged up and off to the tip
D677EF19-F8FC-464E-9074-E1FFA67161FF_zpsyysf8pev.jpg

Roof off and all bagged up took 2 hours and was done methodically and carefully. The rain helped as meant the panels were already damp so didn't need to damp them down. Coordination was important and my brother and I work well so pleased with how things went.

The roof is a fine enough height for what I need to use it for. Long term plans are to knock it down and have an extension on the side of the house so this is only a medium term fix to make the space usable for 5 or so years.

The boards went up pretty quickly that I forgot an in progress shot until the first strip of felt was laid.
20AFD2C8-17A8-4B98-8769-25FBD087B6EE_zps7kpjzw07.jpg

Finally all done, except for some cosmetic edging to go on this will do for me. On to the inside next!
CF4095EB-1F44-4FC9-8C50-880B92C86BB1_zps2ybopzkz.jpg

It's never to late, thankfully I had seen that and other government information on it, and thankfully my brother helping me has had asbestos training due to his work. Never knew that until I asked himfor help!

I think I need to get this thread title changed to garage refurbishment as I am now on to painting the floor, pics to follow.

So an update:

Costs so far:
Door £90
Wood £285 (including roof edging)
Felt £90
Bolts & nails £10
Bolt cutters and no nails £39.99 (bolt cutters saved hours of work so well worth it!)
Floor Paint £35
Expanding foam and sealant £8
Asbestos protection gear and bags £61
New main garage door lock £15
Running total £634

Still to happen is the electrics, still budgeting £100 for this.

Here's the edging up, just need to trim the gable end metal back so that its all nicely lined up. The wife has plans to paint the exterior of the garage so I will leave the painting of the edging to her.
61EBBAE5-6019-4238-BE66-9D020EEA72BF_zpsh6vzedth.jpg

This evening I spent hoovering and painting, that's right hoovering my garage floor :)
0D13BDEC-1431-4BA4-9614-D7C293EEE024_zpsiieruhfp.jpg

An in progress shot of the floor, this is about 3/5ths of the floor completed and still at least half of not slightly more of the 5ltr paint.
6521FA58-A951-4DDA-8654-E41F2DE29161_zpslkyj82cy.jpg

The crack had under filler in it so was left unpainted until it's set.

The raised part at the back of the garage previously had a work bench that took up half the width, built in and quite a waste of space. Shelving has been purchased ready for neat sorting of tools once the floor is finished.

Last edited:
Most definitely. Couple of coats of brilliant white emulsion. Totally change it. :)

Your fascia boards need to be painted on the back before you fix them otherwise you won't be able to protect them and they'll rot.

Good work.

Brilliant White will most likely be done now. I think you guys are correct and this will really brighten things up.

Hopefully the fact that the facias are fencing boards should help them last. If not they are easy to remove as just popped up with nails so that should i need to re-felt they were easy to remove.

Mine is 3.3m x 6.3m or 10'x20' roughly i. Old money. The door was ebayed, as was the felt. I wanted a strudyish roof as we have some trees right next to the garage that I haven't been able to trim so went with wood instead of corrugated sheets, also wanted it sealed up a little better as planning to use it as a gym year round.

The floor now has at least 1 coat of paint on, due to roughness it chewed through 5 litres after only getting 2 coats done on 3/5ths and the other 2/5ths having a single coat of slightly thinned paint. Another 2.5litres purchase for a decent final coat.

Also had the first heavy rain since the new roof has gone up and no leaks from the roof :) but leaks from gaps in the blocks at ground level. I have been liberal with the silicone selant and hope this will hold out the water, as it was not a lot seeping through considering the downpour we had.

To the individuals who said paint the walls white....I loath you. Not because you are right (which of course you are) but because I HATE cutting in, my fathers day has been spent cutting in....
34C0E881-6B42-40F2-996B-687715288DA9_zpsiw2bunxm.jpg

Hoovering the garage is odd, Hoovering the garage walls in prep for paint is even odder! Can't wait to get the paint roller out. So far the paint is playing nicely with the metal, so I am hoping that it just stays put, seeing as it's indoor and out of the elements.

Last edited:
If it was me I wouldn't have bothered with the suits and masks. Yes wrap the roof sheets up but I think the suits were OTT.

But i have been in a dust filled house while old artex was being scraped from the walls. So If anyone is going to get asbestos cancer then I've a good chance.

I would rather the £39 it cost for all the protection gear (for 2 people) then the risk. Asbestosis is evil, my brother who did the job with me, dealt with insurance claims for the sufferers. Its a horrible thing to suffer from, and as overkill as the gear was, I feel it was worth the small cost.

Looking good,
except you can't put all that stuff in there, it'll start looking untidy :(

Ask the wife if it's OK to leave it in the house.

Haha I wish I didn't have to put stuff in there! Thankfully I have shelving to go up which will hold anything that doesn't have wheels, hopefully leaving plenty of floor space. Home gym should follow the refurb once power is hooked in.

Back
Top Bottom