Garage Refurbishment

Definiltey posting too late but just came back from an asbestos awareness course today and in future, might be useful to others.

Removal of domestic asbestos roof sheets is definitely classed as non-notifiable non-licensed under CAR 2012 but whoever is responsible needs to have the relevant level of training for that category of work.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/licensing/non-licensed-work.htm
http://www.netregs.org.uk/library_of_topics/waste/asbestos/working_with_asbestos.aspx

And for others who do DIY, Artex ceilings is likely to contain asbestos (especially if pre 2000) and homeowners should not sand it down themselves if they will be plastering the ceiling after.

Last edited:
It's never to late, thankfully I had seen that and other government information on it, and thankfully my brother helping me has had asbestos training due to his work. Never knew that until I asked himfor help!

I think I need to get this thread title changed to garage refurbishment as I am now on to painting the floor, pics to follow.

So an update:

Costs so far:
Door £90
Wood £285 (including roof edging)
Felt £90
Bolts & nails £10
Bolt cutters and no nails £39.99 (bolt cutters saved hours of work so well worth it!)
Floor Paint £35
Expanding foam and sealant £8
Asbestos protection gear and bags £61
New main garage door lock £15
Running total £634

Still to happen is the electrics, still budgeting £100 for this.

Here's the edging up, just need to trim the gable end metal back so that its all nicely lined up. The wife has plans to paint the exterior of the garage so I will leave the painting of the edging to her.
61EBBAE5-6019-4238-BE66-9D020EEA72BF_zpsh6vzedth.jpg

This evening I spent hoovering and painting, that's right hoovering my garage floor :)
0D13BDEC-1431-4BA4-9614-D7C293EEE024_zpsiieruhfp.jpg

An in progress shot of the floor, this is about 3/5ths of the floor completed and still at least half of not slightly more of the 5ltr paint.
6521FA58-A951-4DDA-8654-E41F2DE29161_zpslkyj82cy.jpg

The crack had under filler in it so was left unpainted until it's set.

The raised part at the back of the garage previously had a work bench that took up half the width, built in and quite a waste of space. Shelving has been purchased ready for neat sorting of tools once the floor is finished.

Last edited:
Most definitely. Couple of coats of brilliant white emulsion. Totally change it. :)

Your fascia boards need to be painted on the back before you fix them otherwise you won't be able to protect them and they'll rot.

Good work.

Brilliant White will most likely be done now. I think you guys are correct and this will really brighten things up.

Hopefully the fact that the facias are fencing boards should help them last. If not they are easy to remove as just popped up with nails so that should i need to re-felt they were easy to remove.

I have one of these garages, with a leaky roof, I was going to replace with a polycarb roof, but the wood and felt approach never occurred to me.

Its larger than yours at first glance, but principles are the same. Where did you get the door for £90 from? Ours only has the up and over door, but I want to add a side door.

Mine is 3.3m x 6.3m or 10'x20' roughly i. Old money. The door was ebayed, as was the felt. I wanted a strudyish roof as we have some trees right next to the garage that I haven't been able to trim so went with wood instead of corrugated sheets, also wanted it sealed up a little better as planning to use it as a gym year round.

The floor now has at least 1 coat of paint on, due to roughness it chewed through 5 litres after only getting 2 coats done on 3/5ths and the other 2/5ths having a single coat of slightly thinned paint. Another 2.5litres purchase for a decent final coat.

Also had the first heavy rain since the new roof has gone up and no leaks from the roof :) but leaks from gaps in the blocks at ground level. I have been liberal with the silicone selant and hope this will hold out the water, as it was not a lot seeping through considering the downpour we had.

To the individuals who said paint the walls white....I loath you. Not because you are right (which of course you are) but because I HATE cutting in, my fathers day has been spent cutting in....
34C0E881-6B42-40F2-996B-687715288DA9_zpsiw2bunxm.jpg

Hoovering the garage is odd, Hoovering the garage walls in prep for paint is even odder! Can't wait to get the paint roller out. So far the paint is playing nicely with the metal, so I am hoping that it just stays put, seeing as it's indoor and out of the elements.

Last edited:
If it was me I wouldn't have bothered with the suits and masks. Yes wrap the roof sheets up but I think the suits were OTT.

But i have been in a dust filled house while old artex was being scraped from the walls. So If anyone is going to get asbestos cancer then I've a good chance.

If it was me I wouldn't have bothered with the suits and masks. Yes wrap the roof sheets up but I think the suits were OTT.

But i have been in a dust filled house while old artex was being scraped from the walls. So If anyone is going to get asbestos cancer then I've a good chance.

I would rather the £39 it cost for all the protection gear (for 2 people) then the risk. Asbestosis is evil, my brother who did the job with me, dealt with insurance claims for the sufferers. Its a horrible thing to suffer from, and as overkill as the gear was, I feel it was worth the small cost.

Looking good,
except you can't put all that stuff in there, it'll start looking untidy :(

Ask the wife if it's OK to leave it in the house.

Haha I wish I didn't have to put stuff in there! Thankfully I have shelving to go up which will hold anything that doesn't have wheels, hopefully leaving plenty of floor space. Home gym should follow the refurb once power is hooked in.

More coats of white and a final liberal coating of paint on the floor.

E52B6FFC-07DA-4C0D-8371-6381DD6350DB_zpsbxvbuucx.jpg

Getting the shelves up I brought before even starting the roof is satisfying, also starting to setup the home gym.

58807A18-D05A-4241-BDEE-4EDE5488888A_zpsqvu6oaol.jpg

Electrics to follow.

hi matey,

You seem to have, at least from the pictures, as similar garage to mine. The previous owner already did the roof and also added decent electrics to it too which was nice of them :)

However the walls are an issue, there are gaps in there between each of the blocks (at least that's what I think they are called) and I see from your photo's that you may have filled these? If so and what did you use?

I haven't filled the gaps they are all just painted white. However I did make sure I sealed a lot of the larger gaps between the block work and outside, just with standard silicone sealant. When I plan on running the electrics I am going to use the gaps to house wooden posts and run the wiring up the wooden posts, better than trying to nail cable stays in to concrete and failing! Some 2"x2" should fit snugly in the gaps.

Back
Top Bottom